ADVERTISEMENT

Things - Maryland

J_Heater

HB Legend
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2005
What I saw tonight was a team that made a firm statement they belong in the discussion. End of story.

I have no idea if the rumor was true that Maryland players were saying Iowa was over rated but that wasn’t a great idea if so. That was 4 quarters of a wood shed beating. There wasn’t 1 phase of the game Iowa didn’t dominate tonight.

Honestly I was a bit worried about this game. I thought Tau was the best QB we would see, I thought this was the best offense we would see. I was way off. Of course come game time I had no doubt we would win. Read little into that as I always think that every game even the ones we lose.

That game changed when Demus got hurt, can’t be denied. They were picking us apart with him on the field but you will never convince me Phil wouldn’t have put a stop to it eventually.

I’m going to enjoy my Saturday so much tomorrow. I’m going to get about 4 hours of sleep, then go fishing until 3PM or so. Have to bring the dog home and then I’m off to watch #3 Montana visit #6 Eastern Washington on the red field. Game is 13 miles from my house and I’m pretty stoked about it.

My God was Maryland an undisciplined mess. So many stupid penalties and mental errors. Many said this all week that a Locksley coached team isn’t beating a KF coached team. Good on them. That team was completely out coached tonight. And you know what, enough about they had more talent. No they didn’t.

I know Mylinkski played early against Indiana but it’s been Fagan at C in mop up time. Is he hurt?

It did not matter who was in the game tonight, they played like they were tired of hearing they were over rated.

Our kicker Shudak is perfect on the year outside of one really high snap. He needs some props.

24-5 in the last 29 games for Iowa
27 straight games holding opponents under 25
15 straight non-conference wins
11 straight wins
8 straight conference wins
6 straight trophy wins
5 straight wins over ranked teams. #6 coming next week.

Tillman and Brando once again awful. It started early when Tillman said Goodson would have to be really good if they want to beat Iowa.

Maryland threw a lot of different looks at us defensively. 4-3-4, 4-4-3, they mixed it up all night and I thought the OL and Petras handled it extremely well. +

Offensive Line had an amazing turn around as far as I was concerned. They had some lapses for sure but man they just looked nasty for the first time I think all season.

I was a bit concerned when the first 3 plays resulted in 3 missed tackles. They really shored that up in a hurry.

The best part of this game for me was they dominated it and still have a lot of mistakes to clean up. We are just touching the surface of how good this team can be in all 3 phases.

I thought Iowa came out hitting even harder in the 2nd half. Their intensity tonight on both sides of the ball was sensational.

If I’m not mistaken Beau Stephens and Carson Kashar got their first action tonight as well as Deuce Hogan and maybe even Bryce Schulte.

Probably not related but I did wear the same shirt I wore before Indiana today. Seems they just blow out teams when I wear that shirt.

Fun stats
Iowa’s opposing QB’s this year, 5 TDs’ 12 Interceptions.

Iowa has allowed 17 points in the 2nd half this year.

Iowa 72 points off turnovers on the season. 8 TD’s and 3 FGs. Has to be near the top in the country

Iowa + 12 in turnover margin. Has to be near the top in the country

Iowa has 4 turnovers and have given up 7 points.

1st QUARTER
15:00 Kashar in on kick coverage. He must have impressed the coaches in practice to get on the kickoff team.

14:35 Belton with a missed tackle but as almost always there are a sea of Hawkeyes right behind it to clean it up.

14:05 Nobody bit on Tau’s fake. Would have been a TFL but Belton with his second missed tackle in as many plays. I was concerned at this point but obviously it didn’t last.

13:45 Shannon almost blocks this punt. Riley Moss is pretty frustrated with himself as he missed a block that could have sprung Charlie I think.

13:37 Colby and Schott are your starting guards. Shooter is back. Petras with a very late throw and behind LaPorta.

13:00 Schott gets blown up and it ends up a TFL. Richman hits the LB and buckles to his knees. It got better believe me.

Next play – Ragaini with a drop and he was open deep, Tracy was also open much shorter in the middle.

11:25 Smart play here by the coaches. No reason not to try and force an undisciplined team to jump off sides.

10:05 Moss gets off the block and makes the stop short of the 1st down which ended up being important as the false start next play caused it to be 3rd and 6.

9:20 Waggoner with a big hit on Tau and he was also having his facemask pulled by the guard at the time. Moss was playing underneath but read the eyes of Tau and made the pick. After the interception you get a nice shot of Hawkeye Elvis in the stands.

9:16 Petras playing with fire here. The ball needs to come out with a bit more zip on it.

8:40 Richman destroys a LB creating a huge hole. Schott held his block a fraction more than what I’ve seen in the first 4 games and it made a huge difference. Lindy just takes a LB to the ground like he always does.

8:03 Schott explodes off the LOS and takes out a DT and then a LB.

7:16 G. Williams misses the tackle on the kickoff but spins around and makes the tackle. Great effort play.

7:09 They hit a big pass play to Demus but the one bright spot on this play was watching Jack Campbell run step for step with one of their other WR’s across the field. What a freak athlete.

4:10 Van Ness and Black are in the same gap. I think Black should have been further down and Tau runs for a 1st down.

3:45 Jacobs gets too far inside and it’s an easy TD to the TE.

3:37 Jones with a nice kick return, he trucks the kicker but then trips over his own legs. Looked awkward on the replay. Klemp with a nice block but Pollisard, Craig and Evans with great blocks as well. IKM with probably the best block to open it up.

3:31 Britt and Ince in at Guard. Britt gets a pancake on the first play, Dejong whiffed on the cut block.

Next play – Britt again with a punishing block.

2:20 Pottebaum with a crushing block, Richman, Ince and Lindy all have their guys 6 yards downfield. Just a glimpse of what this OL can be this year.

1:45 Lachey with a dominating block all the way to the sideline to get Laporta some more room.

:58 Lindy trips but a great throw by Petrus threading the needle between a LB and a S to Goodson. Even though Lindy tripped it was great protection as it was most of the night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News