ADVERTISEMENT

Things

J_Heater

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2005
Iowa had horrible field position most of the game. However, 4 times they started inside their own 12 yard line. All 4 ended up in TD’s.

This season, Iowa has been in the red zone 6 times. 5 TD’s 1 FG. The 1 FG the D gave them the rock on the 5 yard line.

ISM in the game. So much for the people last week in the game thread who said we wouldn’t see him anymore after his fumble.

Much cleaner game with ball security. I think Akrum had 1 fumble that we got back.

Iowa started with 3 wide and ISM was one of them. He’s obviously our 3rd WR.

1st time since 1994 Minnesota that Iowa has given up 40 points and still won the game.

Not much from the announcers to laugh at or bitch about. However, I heard the Kelly Stouffer say I’d go for it here but then again my job don’t depend on that decision. Thought that was kind of humorous. Also, they called Noah Fant, Noah Faint, and Noah Faunt throughout the day.

At least for this game our 4th CB was not Cedric Boswell. It was Amani Hooker. Not sure if they liked him in certain matchups or Cedric isn’t ready. When ISU would go 4 wides with trips on one side, we put all our CB’s on the side with 3 and left Amani Hooker on an island.

Penalties Iowa 10-84, Iowa State 2-15. Gosh they played a clean game. Eyeroll!

Stanley hit 9 different receivers in this game. I did not see that coming.

Iowa 8 TD passes to 6 different receivers. Fant 2, Easley 2, Smith-Marsette 2, Vandeberg 1, Wadley 1. That matches how many players caught TD passes last year.

Same DL rotation for the most part. A. Nelson and Hesse at DE with Brincks spelling them both. Lattimore and Nate in the middle with M. Nelson rotating in for both as well. Passing downs are AJ and A. Nelson on the outside, Hesse and Reiff on the inside.

When Ike went down, they moved Sean Welsh to RT, Moved Render over to RG, Reynolds/Meyer swapped at LG and Jackson at LT. They did experience on 1 drive a different line up and it was a complete disaster. See 4:37 in the 3rd quarter.

We had the ball for an entire quarter more than Iowa State. They just beat us bad on those 2 big pass plays to Butler.

Mr. 100 yard steak had 6 cates for 23 yards. Got 2 TD’s and left everyone really disappointed with his celebration.

@rivercityjazzman, I still have not leaned one time with Miguel. Thank him for that.

Iowa State did not stack the box as much as I thought they would. What they did do a few times that really messed us up was go with a 6 man front and then bring the 7th in right at the snap.

Anyone think that Campbell would have went for it on 4th and 1 had Butler not dropped the ball in OT?

Missed tackles went way up this game. I’ve added them all up, whose responsible and what it cost them below.

This is an eye popping stat that I will continue to track as the year goes on. It’s probably the same across the country but one I really noticed last week and it continued this week. When we ran into a 7 man front today, 23 carries 145 yards. When they brought more than seven in the box 16 carries 21 yards. I think it would have been more but like I said we had some problems with 7 man fronts but mostly when they would have 6 and then bring someone in late.

Season total
7 man fronts 39 carries 249 yards
8 or more 37 carries 58 yards

I didn’t count Stanley’s 2 carries for 2 yards because those were both pass plays where he scrambled.

Punt team gunners are Noah Clayberg and Ivory Kelly-Martin

Pass protection was pretty good today. They only got their hands on Nate 1 time and he was able to throw it away. The 2 times he ran there was plenty of time to throw just nobody open.

I can admit when I am wrong. When I saw Nate Stanley being interviewed he struck me as a kid that lacked confidence and was going to struggle when the spot gets tight. I kept that to myself but I still feel better getting it off my chest. J

They called us for 3 pass interference calls. I don’t think any of them were pass interference and the first one should have been called on Butler in the end zone. Matt got away with one for sure as well but refs just refuse to call it.

Nate missed throws deep that were there for huge chunk plays. They didn’t work but man did they open up the middle of the field. If he can hit 1 or 2 of those a game, we will see more 7 man fronts and it will be an awesome year.

I normally don’t do this because I don’t want to take away from our guys. But hats off to Montgomery of Iowa State. He had no blocking and just showed pure determination all game and worked for everything he got.

1st QUARTER
14:10 Jackson was 7 yards off the receiver and closed to get him for a loss of 1.

13:20 If you want to see what a whiff is, watch the LT for Iowa State. Went to Hesse to under cut but went way to soon. Parker just jumped over him.

13:05 Jackson got blown about 4 yards back and right into Akrum for a loss. Game thread had posts saying Ike getting abused, Boettger got destroyed the whole series, and not playing like a senior. This is the echo chamber thing. If you say it enough it must be true. Ike had his guy 6 yards down field. He missed 0 blocks on the opening drive. WTF are people watching.

7:10 Jackson I think had the wrong play here. He was about 5 yards down field and could have been called for ineligible man down field. It was a WR screen but it was beyond the LOS.

6:45 Wadley has a nice 20 yard run. Render was pulling and had nobody to block so turned back inside and and crushed Lanning.

4:25 They say Easley easily scores but it wasn’t easy, Matt made that happen with his block in the EZ.

4:15 The double headed monster sack by AJ and A. Nelson. Watch Hesse on this play. He took on the G and then gave a shoulder to the T, springing AJ free.

3:25 This punt reminded me of how much we miss Desmond Kinig. Last year Jackson got near a punt that Desmond was waving him away from. Desmond went up and grabbed him and got into his face. Jackson never did it again. OJemudia did the same thing but Jackson didn’t even discuss it with him. Matt Hankins got off the field in a hurry as soon as Jackson was waving everyone off.

Next play, Brandon Smith made his first entrance into the season.

2nd quarter
12:45 Hesse was held and they called pass interference on Manny when it was pass interfence on Hakeem Butler. I hate that call more than any other. I hate it when it goes our way.

11:14 Lattimore and Bower almost had Park and forced a bad throw.

11:01 Wadley decides to bring it out of the endzone, Kevin Ward in your lower left corner has a pancake on somebody. Also Amani Jones at the 18 yard line destroys some guy as well.

9:10 Brandon Smith with a really good block, earning his playing time.

7:33 This is the only time they really got a hand on Nate all day, Render missed his block and held in the process.

7:20 Originally I thought this was a dropped interception by Gervase but on further review it was a great play by Jackson who came off his pan and tipped it.

Next play was when Montgomery made about 7 guys miss. It all started with Sam Brincks being held and the LT even raised his arms to act like he didn’t hold after Robinson was through the hole.

4:00 Wadley’s 35 yard run, great blocks by Easley and Matt

3:25 Noticed Daniels limping. He got called for holding that play and Im not sure it was holding. He just crushed the guy and it looked like holding.

2:55 Have not seen Iowa do this before. Maybe they have but they had Kuhlick immediately go out in the flat and then Butler went to the other flat. All the LBs went with Drake. Noah Fant with a great block on this play as Butler went for about 20 yards. At the end on the sideline a great acrobatic move by Mr. Butler. Levi Paulsen loved it.

3rd quarter
9:40 Jackson ignores the DE once again, big loss. He did that about 3 times last week. Not sure what the assignment is but it looks like it would be his guy.

8:47 3rd and 15 and we pick it up. James Butler with a great pick up on the blitz.

7:24 Air Wadley for the TD. Jackson, Reynolds and Daniels completely caved in the whole DL.

6:33 This is the play that changed the game in my opinion. We were up 21-10 and there D looked gassed. 3rd and 15 and Montgomery made us look like Wadley makes teams look.

4:37 This is the one time we tried switching up the OL differently. We moved Boone to LT, Jackson to RT. Welsh back to RG and Reynolds at LG. Run -2 yards, Run -1 yds, Pass -3 yds. It was almost like we didn’t block anybody. We never went back to that.

3:17 Same series, this is the screen to Wadley that got blown up. To me it was on Welsh who was supposed to get out there but look like he was running in quick sand.

:53 TD Pass to Butler. At first I thought it was a blown coverage but it was a blitz by us and Jackson fell down.

The following kick off, Ivory Kelly-Martin with his first yards as a Hawkeye.

4th quarter
11:56 This was the first time AJ has come in on a non-passing down. He got sucked in, lost contain and it resulted in a TD. There were 2 missed tackles as well so not all on AJ but I think we can once again accept the coaches know more than us. This is in response to those saying AJ should be starting. It may have just been one guy.

9:55 This was the play where they were holding Fant and it got called. ISU ran a delayed blitz and James Daniels just destroyed him. Also, Wadley was going out in the flat and the LB tackled him before the ball was thrown.

6:10 Hesse pick, A. Nelson with a nice blind side shot on Park.

4:40 This was definitely a blown coverage and Gervase just missed it.

The following kick. Remind anybody of Jonathon Parker. Ugh! Got lucky he was out of bounds.

1:25 Akrum Wadley. UNREAL. Some things of note on this play. Joel Lanning with the missed tackle. Vandy and Easley with decent blocks but it was mostly #25. This play has to go into those top plays in Iowa history. Right?

Following kick off. Mends with as good of a form tackle as you will ever see.

Overtime
3rd and 4 for Iowa. Both DBs went with Vandy to the endzone leaving Nick for an easy 1st down.

Hats off to the coaches for sticking with ISM. Kid is a baller.

This team doesn’t quit!

BLITZES
8 blitzes. Results 5 of 7 62 yards, two TD’s and two 1st downs. 1 Run for 8 yards and a first down.

Jewell. Got about a yard away from Park, result 20 yard pass play.

All 3 LB’s on 4th and 3. Result 5 yard pass play.

Nieman on a run blitz. Result was a 8 yard gain and a first down.

Bower on 3rd and goal, forced a quick throw, incomplete

Jewell on 3rd and 9, result he hit Park right as he threw and forced a bad throw.

Jewell/Bower/Gervase on 3rd and goal, TD pass to Lazard.

Jewell on 3rd and 6, result was a screen pass for 5 yards.

Jewell and Nieman on 3rd and 1, long TD pass when Jackson fell down.

I counted 3 missed tackles last week. 23 this week. Probably the same amount defenses rack up trying to grab Wadley.

14:23 2nd Miles Taylor. Result loss of 1 yard because he knocked the guy 3 yards back.
12:40 2nd Josey. Result 7 yards and a 1st down
7:09 2nd Bower/Gervase then A. Nelson, Nieman and Jewell. Result 28 yards and 1st down
:40 2nd Lattimore. Result no extra yards but he would have had RB for 3 yard loss
7:09 3rd Jewell and Ojemudia. Result 17 yards and 1st down
6:33 3rd Taylor and Rugamba and then Reiff and Jewell. 7 Yards and a 1st down. This was the 3rd and 15. A killer.
14:50 4th Taylor then Bower Ojemudia Jewell and Gervase. Result 8 yards and a 1st down
13:09 4th Jewell. Net result 6 yards. No 1st down.
11:42 4th Taylor and then Ojemudia. Result 7 yards and a TD. This is the play where Josey had him at the 1 and he powered in for the TD.
6:20 4th. A. Jones on a kickoff, result 4 yards gained.

Sideline reporter Julie Stewart-Binks. I’d like to be Binks for a night. Lucky SOB.

Bx68e0PCIAAKsbM.jpg

Taylor needs to stop with the highlight reel attempts with shoulder tackles and wrap.

Great stuff, man! I had almost forgotten about that sideline kick return gaffe. That could have been bad.

Seems like we played better offensively when we were backed up inside our own 10, though.

Did MR lose his starting spot to NO? I think he did.. will probably mostly just see him in nickel

Some more things
Passing into 7 man fronts
20-27-253-2

Passing into 8 man fronts
7-14-80-3

203 of Nate's yards were YAC. I have no idea what the normal amount is on a national scale. I know we have been asking for playmakers and 203 YAC seems pretty good to me. Didn't do it for Wyoming but I probably can sometime this week. This shit is cutting into my fishing. :)

YAC
WADLEY 70
EASLEY 40
KUHLICK 26
BUTLER 20
HOCKENSEN 19
VANDEBERG 13
SMITH-MARSETTE 7
PEKAR 7
FANT 1

passes
0-10 yds 22-28-255-3
10-20yds 4-6-58-2
20+ 1-7-24

6 MISSES FROM LONG RANGE
FANT WIDE OPEN
ISM WIDE OPEN
VANDY HAD A YARD ON HIS GUY
ISM, HARD TO TELL, BALL WASN’T REALLY CLOSE TO HIM, LOOKED TO BE COVERED
FANT WIDE OPEN
VANDY IN OT, TOOK A SHOT, COVERED PRETTY WELL

Reactions: desihawk
PLAY ACTION 9 TIMES
8 ON 1ST AND 10
1 ON 2ND AND 6

Coaches say they want balance.
41 RUSHES
41 PASSES

Reactions: desihawk
@rivercityjazzman, I still have not leaned one time with Miguel. Thank him for that.

Thx! I passed your compliment along.

Miguel rarely hooks or slices FGs. My concern is that the uprights in Kinnick aren't tall enough. At some point one of his kicks will be close to an upright and cross over it, making the call of in/out very difficult. Marshall K got robbed, imo, of at least two kicks in Kinnick when just such a thing happened.

Needs some work on her teeth, but the rest is top shelf.

Sideline reporter Julie Stewart-Binks. I’d like to be Binks for a night. Lucky SOB.

Bx68e0PCIAAKsbM.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Heater quickly becoming the Phil Steele of Iowa football. I stopped viewing game threads a couple years ago - a haven for bandwagon fans, Ferentz haters, and overly emotional head cases.

Reactions: sob5 and rchawk
Iowa had horrible field position most of the game. However, 4 times they started inside their own 12 yard line. All 4 ended up in TD’s.

This season, Iowa has been in the red zone 6 times. 5 TD’s 1 FG. The 1 FG the D gave them the rock on the 5 yard line.

ISM in the game. So much for the people last week in the game thread who said we wouldn’t see him anymore after his fumble.

Much cleaner game with ball security. I think Akrum had 1 fumble that we got back.

Iowa started with 3 wide and ISM was one of them. He’s obviously our 3rd WR.

1st time since 1994 Minnesota that Iowa has given up 40 points and still won the game.

Not much from the announcers to laugh at or bitch about. However, I heard the Kelly Stouffer say I’d go for it here but then again my job don’t depend on that decision. Thought that was kind of humorous. Also, they called Noah Fant, Noah Faint, and Noah Faunt throughout the day.

At least for this game our 4th CB was not Cedric Boswell. It was Amani Hooker. Not sure if they liked him in certain matchups or Cedric isn’t ready. When ISU would go 4 wides with trips on one side, we put all our CB’s on the side with 3 and left Amani Hooker on an island.

Penalties Iowa 10-84, Iowa State 2-15. Gosh they played a clean game. Eyeroll!

Stanley hit 9 different receivers in this game. I did not see that coming.

Iowa 8 TD passes to 6 different receivers. Fant 2, Easley 2, Smith-Marsette 2, Vandeberg 1, Wadley 1. That matches how many players caught TD passes last year.

Same DL rotation for the most part. A. Nelson and Hesse at DE with Brincks spelling them both. Lattimore and Nate in the middle with M. Nelson rotating in for both as well. Passing downs are AJ and A. Nelson on the outside, Hesse and Reiff on the inside.

When Ike went down, they moved Sean Welsh to RT, Moved Render over to RG, Reynolds/Meyer swapped at LG and Jackson at LT. They did experience on 1 drive a different line up and it was a complete disaster. See 4:37 in the 3rd quarter.

We had the ball for an entire quarter more than Iowa State. They just beat us bad on those 2 big pass plays to Butler.

Mr. 100 yard steak had 6 cates for 23 yards. Got 2 TD’s and left everyone really disappointed with his celebration.

Iowa State did not stack the box as much as I thought they would. What they did do a few times that really messed us up was go with a 6 man front and then bring the 7th in right at the snap.

Anyone think that Campbell would have went for it on 4th and 1 had Butler not dropped the ball in OT?

Missed tackles went way up this game. I’ve added them all up, whose responsible and what it cost them below.

This is an eye popping stat that I will continue to track as the year goes on. It’s probably the same across the country but one I really noticed last week and it continued this week. When we ran into a 7 man front today, 23 carries 145 yards. When they brought more than seven in the box 16 carries 21 yards. I think it would have been more but like I said we had some problems with 7 man fronts but mostly when they would have 6 and then bring someone in late.

Season total
7 man fronts 39 carries 249 yards
8 or more 37 carries 58 yards

I didn’t count Stanley’s 2 carries for 2 yards because those were both pass plays where he scrambled.

Punt team gunners are Noah Clayberg and Ivory Kelly-Martin

Pass protection was pretty good today. They only got their hands on Nate 1 time and he was able to throw it away. The 2 times he ran there was plenty of time to throw just nobody open.

I can admit when I am wrong. When I saw Nate Stanley being interviewed he struck me as a kid that lacked confidence and was going to struggle when the spot gets tight. I kept that to myself but I still feel better getting it off my chest. J

They called us for 3 pass interference calls. I don’t think any of them were pass interference and the first one should have been called on Butler in the end zone. Matt got away with one for sure as well but refs just refuse to call it.

Nate missed throws deep that were there for huge chunk plays. They didn’t work but man did they open up the middle of the field. If he can hit 1 or 2 of those a game, we will see more 7 man fronts and it will be an awesome year.

I normally don’t do this because I don’t want to take away from our guys. But hats off to Montgomery of Iowa State. He had no blocking and just showed pure determination all game and worked for everything he got.
Great stuff as always. I miss threads like this and 'Yes or No' when it's not football season.

I honestly don't think Campbell would've went for it had it been 4th and 1, at least at home. If this were at Iowa, absolutely they go for it.

"13:05 Jackson got blown about 4 yards back and right into Akrum for a loss. Game thread had posts saying Ike getting abused, Boettger got destroyed the whole series, and not playing like a senior. This is the echo chamber thing. If you say it enough it must be true. Ike had his guy 6 yards down field. He missed 0 blocks on the opening drive. WTF are people watching."

Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT