ADVERTISEMENT

Think I just saw my first tornado, boys

Just South of Cedar Rapids. Came out on my porch to see a funnel cloud (first time seeing one since middle school), no sirens. I was baffled about no warning and then it reached to land and the sirens went of. Real skinny twister. Just now it’s back up and dissipating fast. Should be some good photos soon.
Yep. My BiL just sent a pic from just outside North Liberty. Same funnel cloud.

Looks scary AF. I was in Iowa last month and saw the after effects of a tornado that hit a farm house east of Ames on HWY 30.

Blew off the roof and gutted the house from what I could see from the road. Large portions of the roof were 1/4 mile away in the field.

Looks scary AF. I was in Iowa last month and saw the after effects of a tornado that hit a farm house east of Ames on HWY 30.

Blew off the roof and gutted the house from what I could see from the road. Large portions of the roof were 1/4 mile away in the field.

I’m pretty sure I saw the same house.

If it was, the crazy thing was NOTHING else around the area seemed like it saw any wind.

Terrible luck.

suck-zone-twister.gif

I saw it from the soccer field. They canceled my youngest daughters program that was for something multiple miles north and not coming our direction.

*there was a cell behind that though.

Reactions: torbee
My dad and I were chased by a water spout in our boat when I was a kid
I was fishing w/ my grandpa once back in the late 90's on a lake in SW Iowa. You could tell there was rain coming, and my grandpa told me we may just move into a cove for a bit and take some cover with our ponchos on. Right after he said that a dude in a REALLY nice bass boat came zooming up to us and told us there's a tornado on the ground and heading towards the lake. Then he said he had to go let the other guys know too, and took off down the lake at probably about 60-70mph. We took the boat, loaded up and went into Afton for a bit to wait it out. Came back after the storms came through, and there was a damage path straight down into the cove we were thinking about sheltering in. Tornado went straight down through it. Crazy close call.

And ****ing props to that fisherman. Not sure McLovin32 would be around if it wasn't for him/csb

I was fishing w/ my grandpa once back in the late 90's on a lake in SW Iowa. You could tell there was rain coming, and my grandpa told me we may just move into a cove for a bit and take some cover with our ponchos on. Right after he said that a dude in a REALLY nice bass boat came zooming up to us and told us there's a tornado on the ground and heading towards the lake. Then he said he had to go let the other guys know too, and took off down the lake at probably about 60-70mph. We took the boat, loaded up and went into Afton for a bit to wait it out. Came back after the storms came through, and there was a damage path straight down into the cove we were thinking about sheltering in. Tornado went straight down through it. Crazy close call.

And ****ing props to that fisherman. Not sure McLovin32 would be around if it wasn't for him/csb
Usually the ruling would be that, as an Iowan, you should have stayed put and watched the tornado come in, but will give you some slack since you were a youngster at the time.

ill-allow-it-ken-jeong.gif

Just South of Cedar Rapids. Came out on my porch to see a funnel cloud (first time seeing one since middle school), no sirens. I was baffled about no warning and then it reached to land and the sirens went of. Real skinny twister. Just now it’s back up and dissipating fast. Should be some good photos soon.
I saw video from a couple of friends. Did it reach the ground??

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I saw video from a couple of friends. Did it reach the ground??
I live at the top of a hill on one side of a valley, and it certainly roped down beyond the hills on the other side to the East. People nearer said it touched down in a field near Kirkwood.

EDIT: McLovin’s post above confirms small area of tornado damage near the suburb of Ely.

Reactions: McLovin32
Drama queen alert..,

Yes, I drove by this same place and saw the damage. I drove by it again last weekend and all that is left is a concrete slab.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
IMG-1326.jpg

QC Weather Bubble held.

But it was dicey for a bit.
Not here - in Muscatine.

Downed trees reset power for a second, killed my PC - had to run to WalMart to get a quick replacement - and finally just got internet (& cable TV) back about a couple hours ago. No internet or cable TV from about 7p last night to just before midnight.

We got off lucky-ish. Sounds like quite a few houses/locations lost all power, let alone utilities, until crews were out cleaning up & fixing things.

• Wow
Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT