ADVERTISEMENT

This board is going to Hell.

I just wanted to point out this line from post #1 in a 81 post thread (so far):

"I was tempted to take the bait and attempt to give biblical answers and perspectives, but then I realized it would only bring on a feedy frenzy and basically be throwing what is holy to dogs & pearls before swine."

ha ha. We got you, Hounded!

Originally posted by Hawkness Monster:

"I was tempted to take the bait and attempt to give biblical answers and perspectives, but then I realized it would only bring on a feedy frenzy and basically be throwing what is holy to dogs & pearls before swine."

I can do what I want in my own house.

Originally posted by HoundedHawk:No, to both. Matthew 12:40 is not even referring to Hell, let alone a Hell in the center of the Earth. The actual direction of the eternal Heaven or Hell is not literal either. They are not physical locations.
Thanks Hounded -- that is how I interpret it, too.

The Bible is quite confusing though -- with Hades, Gehenna, the "lake of fire", "the abyss" sometimes seemingly referring to the same place, sometimes not (maybe it's not confusing to you, but to a tyro like me, it sure is).

Originally posted by jbincr:

Originally posted by HoundedHawk:No, to both. Matthew 12:40 is not even referring to Hell, let alone a Hell in the center of the Earth. The actual direction of the eternal Heaven or Hell is not literal either. They are not physical locations.
Thanks Hounded -- that is how I interpret it, too.

The Bible is quite confusing though -- with Hades, Gehenna, the "lake of fire", "the abyss" sometimes seemingly referring to the same place, sometimes not (maybe it's not confusing to you, but to a tyro like me, it sure is).
Oh, this was an honest question? I'm not used to those on here anymore. Yes, they can be confusing. The problem is a mixing of cultures and languages at the time. Often Christ had to redefine terms so as to give a proper understanding.

The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting, but that it has been found difficult, and left untried.------G.K. Chesterton

Originally posted by HoundedHawk:
Originally posted by castichawk24:

Originally posted by cig bock steve:
but your lord is a false prophet.
You can take that up with Him.

FEAR hIM!!!@!@!@!@!@!
The beginning of wisdom.

oh trust me, i'm well aware that one of the main reason people believe is the fear of god. (i.e. going to hell when they die) i don't need that fear to be a good person.

oh trust me, i'm well aware that one of the main reason people believe is the fear of god. (i.e. going to hell when they die) i don't need that fear to be a good person.
You're under the mistaken impression that you truly know whether you're a good person or not. Perhaps your standard of measure is drastically off.

Originally posted by Coach4ever:
The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting, but that it has been found difficult, and left untried.------G.K. Chesterton
Impressive quote.

You're under the mistaken impression that you truly know whether you're a good person or not. Perhaps your standard of measure is drastically off.

roll.gif
i'm sure that you know that you're a good person, because you talk to god about it. we got it already though... you think you are better than us because you believe in god. i think i'm more rational than you because i don't. good night.

Open-mindedness, not tolerance is required of the search for the Christ.

Perhaps the greatest virtue esteemed in secular society today is tolerance. Society frowns upon those who would make value judgements about the beliefs and morals of others. Some hold that no one's truth or values should be held to be superior to anyne's else's.

As you know, relativism means what is true for you is not necessarily true for me. Relativism is a particularily appealing position when dealing with religion. This has led some to assert that all religions are equally valid. How can all religions of the world all be true when they all contradict each other?

Christianity differs from many religions in the fact that it claims to have unique ownership of truth. This is a staggering claim. What if Christianity is true? What are the implications? Christianity doesn't claim to be one of many truths; it claims to be the truth. If you are truly an open minded person, you must take this claim very seriously. You must determine if there is any evidence which validates that Christianity is indeed the truth.

roll.gif
i'm sure that you know that you're a good person, because you talk to god about it. we got it already though... you think you are better than us because you believe in god. i think i'm more rational than you because i don't. good night.
I don't think I'm better than you. I'm saying God is a better judge of what is good than you. And I would plainly declare you're not one iota more rational than I am.
This post was edited on 10/2 10:35 PM by HoundedHawk

Originally posted by ChipHilton:
They are not physical locations? Sez?
Yes, it does matter which aspect of heaven/hell one is talking about. For example, to the ancients one aspect of heaven was merely the sky. But make no mistake there is non-physical place called heaven.

As you know, relativism means what is true for you is not necessarily true for me. Relativism is a particularily appealing position when dealing with religion. This has led some to assert that all religions are equally valid. How can all religions of the world all be true when they all contradict each other.
Yes, I think you're hitting on one of, if not the most important topic for humanity.

Many non-Christians have made up their minds about Christianity based upon hearsay information. Many non-Christians would be truly surprised if they would only study the evidence for themselves. I suspect that most people don't actually reject Jesus as much as they reject a false image of Jesus.

Most non-Christians have not rejected Christianity on intellectual grounds. Most people never take the time to take a detailed look at the evidence. However, some of Christianity's greatest champions were former skeptics who sought to discredit Christianity and were compelled to believe once they had viewed the evidence. If you will only examine the evidence for yourself, you will be surprised at what you will find.

Many non-Christians have made up their minds about Christianity based upon hearsay information. Many non-Christians would be truly surprised if they would only study the evidence for themselves. I suspect that most people don't actually reject Jesus as much as they reject a false image of Jesus.

Most non-Christians have not rejected Christianity on intellectual grounds. Most people never take the time to take a detailed look at the evidence. However, some of Christianity's greatest champions were former skeptics who sought to discredit Christianity and were compelled to believe once they had viewed the evidence. If you will only examine the evidence for yourself, you will be surprised at what you will find.

And what exactly is this evidence that supports any of the bibles claims about the universe and its creation or the appearance of life on Earth?

I've made up my mind on Christianity because of its obvious problems in explaining the universe and its obvious problems with simple logic.
This post was edited on 10/2 10:50 PM by iowahawkeyes1986

I can do what I want in my own house.

Make no mistake, Hounded. This is my house.

smilie2.gif

roll.gif
I don't think I'm better than you. I'm saying God is a better judge of what is good than you. And I would plainly declare you're not one iota more rational than I am.

and yet you believe that...

someone lived in a fish?
someone parted a sea?
mary was a virgin, but yet had JC?
JC rose from the dead?
Noah was 900+ years old?
a male and female of every species gathered at one post on the earth and all hopped on one boat together? even the animals that weren't indigenous to that part of the earth?

there is not one thing that i think is true that is irrational as any of these things. not even close.

"male and female of every species gathered at one post on the earth and all hopped on one boat together? even the animals that weren't indigenous to that part of the earth?"

Oh no didn't you get the memo? Hounded is ok with micro evolution. Meaning all they needed was one dog and that dog could evolve to all other dogs, but not to other species.

But macro evolution, oh no, that didn't happen. Although the term macro and micro aren't even used by biologists because there is no difference, Hounded says there is and there is some magical barrier that we just can't seem to find that keeps mutations from creating something new.
This post was edited on 10/3 12:04 AM by iowahawkeyes1986

Hounded, do you mean "non-physical" in the sense that the inhabitants are spirit beings? I suppose you could call such a place non-physical, but it would still be very literal, very real, right? The (Gehenna) Hell of the Bible is quite physical and quite literal. Not sure what one would say of Tartarus/Tartaroo, whose only known inhabitants were sinning angels.

Thank you for making my day, Hounded. The exposure of whack-jobs such as yourself can only make this world a better place to live in.

Again, thank you.

roll.gif

someone lived in a fish?
someone parted a sea?
JC rose from the dead?
Noah was 900+ years old?
a male and female of every species gathered at one post on the earth and all hopped on one boat together? even the animals that weren't indigenous to that part of the earth?

there is not one thing that i think is true that is irrational as any of these things. not even close.

The bible was not meant to be literally translated..I had no idea a book of parables was to be treated as a factual history book.

Please share some of this evidence.

Originally posted by SalAunese:

roll.gif

someone lived in a fish?
someone parted a sea?
JC rose from the dead?
Noah was 900+ years old?

The bible was not meant to be literally translated..I had no idea a book of parables was to be treated as a factual history book.

Some parts were meant to be interpreted literally. It all depends on your agenda and what's convenient.

You didn't? Seriously?

roll.gif

someone lived in a fish?
someone parted a sea?
JC rose from the dead?
Noah was 900+ years old?

If there is a God then these things are a piece of cake. You're irrational. You believe everything came from nothing and then completely & accidently organized itself. It's the height of illogic.

what a shock that robert ingersol (sic) has joined in this thread.

Hounded is wasting his time here w/ the anti-religion crowd. Several weeks ago, some dummie was arguing with Hounded about the Bible. Hounded posted a bunch of verses, and then this dummie (can't remember which one ... they're all essentially the same) responded, "well, I don't know the Bible very well, but I know for a fact that it says something different somewhere else. I would appreciate it if someone who knows the Bible better could back me up on this."

That pretty much sums it up right there. Basically, in the anti-religion crowd, you've got a lot of young college kids who probably once heard some professor say that the Bible was full of contradictions and errors and not worth reading or believing. So they just accepted that opinion without questioning it, and they've never actually read the Bible (even for the great literary merit of the KJV). And then they ridicule someone who has actually studied the Bible in great depth, and somebody who also happens to be WAY smarter than them.

The real problem here is that college kids think they know it all. Eventually, they either figure out that they don't know it all, or they grow up to be bitter adults like Robert Ingersol (sic) who truly believe that some monolithic monster named "Christianity" is persecuting them and holding them back.

Now I certainly don't agree with all of Hounded's interpretations of the Bible and Christianity, but if you're going to argue with him, you should at least have some actual knowledge of what you are talking about, and some actual evidence to back up your opinions. These HROT punks don't ... all they have to fall back on is the unbridled hubris of youth and the ignorance of the uninformed.

Hounded, do you mean "non-physical" in the sense that the inhabitants are spirit beings? I suppose you could call such a place non-physical, but it would still be very literal, very real, right? The (Gehenna) Hell of the Bible is quite physical and quite literal. Not sure what one would say of Tartarus/Tartaroo, whose only known inhabitants were sinning angels.
Yes, these are very real places. When I say non-physical, I'm describing the process of like 1 Cor. 15, where things become imperishable. It is a transition from the "natural" into the "spiritual." The "composition" of things changes to whatever the things in the spiritual realm are made of. For example, it says that Christ is no longer in the flesh. It's different, and I suspect an existence that can't be measured by classical emperical instruments.

Originally posted by SalAunese:
That's too broad a statement. The Bible communicates the way humans normally communicate. Sometimes we use figures of speech, sometimes we do not.

I'll take a 'whack-job' like Hounded as my next door neighbor any ol' day.
Thank you, Chip. And I would gladly be your neighbor.

Originally posted by Hawk-A-Loogey:

Hounded is wasting his time here w/ the anti-religion crowd.
I guess this is what I'm really saying. With the old crowd there were reasoned responses and the banter was fun, but this new one is just like you say.

I guess this is what I'm really saying. With the old crowd there were reasoned responses and the banter was fun, but this new one is just like you say.

Ah Hounded, you're not in that camp too, are you? This is the same thread as always. Responses from whack-jobs, your same old responses. Same stuff.

Ah Hounded, you're not in that camp too, are you? This is the same thread as always. Responses from whack-jobs, your same old responses. Same stuff.
No, I don't think so. The balance on the board is gone. My responses are much shorter than they used to be. The young "neocomockery" crowd has taken over the board like Agent Smith did in the last Matrix movie.

Agreed, its the same old stuff. I think most rational people just roll their eyes at Hounded's stuff and don't respond anymore. The others are just baiting him for entertainment purposes. You pretty much see the same thing on the "other" site.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT