ADVERTISEMENT

This could be the beginning

bumper52

HR All-State
Nov 25, 2019
So, being 70 years old and a lifetime Hawkeye….if you would have told me back in 99 when we hired a coach from Maine:

Iowa would go to 17 bowls by the year 2022.
Iowa would consistently be in the upper half of the Big 10.
Iowa would have maybe 3 or 4 terrible seasons by 2022.

If I would have been given these guarantees, I would have said , “He’ll yes. Hire this guy.”

Well, now we’ve hit the low point of Iowa football since the mid 60’s through the 70’s. And, in a way, I’m ok with it. I’m mean it’s football….played by young men who aren’t perfect. It happens. And, like I said, IN A WAY, I’m ok with it. But, in another way, I’m deeply concerned. This could very well be just the beginning….the beginning of having to start from square one, and that usually means the beginning of some poor football years. It’s happened to USC, Nebraska, Michigan State, Michigan and other football powers. And it happened to Iowa when Evy stepped down. Jerry Burns was hired, things looked good, and we were hit heavily by critical injuries. We had problems with black players….everything just snowballed. And, I honestly see it possibly happening again. And the only way of fixing it is to clean house….and that means, we will have to accept some lean years.

Unfortunately, careers tend to end on downers. That's why people move on. Kirk wants to wait until the end of the season to make these decisions, and really probably decide if he wants to put in the time to fix the team before the end of his career. If he loses to Northwestern next week, he may not have the luxury of waiting until the end of the season. Right now people are just rolling their eyes at him, but the prospect of going 2-10 for the season, which there is no reason to think won't happen with a loss next week, might not give him that time. At this point, even going to a bowl game is a long shot at best. Does anyone see 4 wins on the schedule or is Iowa going to be one of those lame 5 win teams that plays in a bowl game? (And that's giving the highly positive outlook that they beat two more teams)

Reactions: amahawk
Kirk is saying he's waiting until the end of he season to make any decisions because he is just stalling. He isn't going to change a damn thing, or he will bring in another dumbass like Budmayr and the gullible fans will say 'wow he really is trying to right this thing'. He will do everything but address the Brian issue as OC. So just rearrange a few deck chairs on the sinking ship, and maybe bring somebody else in to help the incompetent idiot Brian.

Unfortunately, careers tend to end on downers. That's why people move on. Kirk wants to wait until the end of the season to make these decisions, and really probably decide if he wants to put in the time to fix the team before the end of his career. If he loses to Northwestern next week, he may not have the luxury of waiting until the end of the season. Right now people are just rolling their eyes at him, but the prospect of going 2-10 for the season, which there is no reason to think won't happen with a loss next week, might not give him that time. At this point, even going to a bowl game is a long shot at best. Does anyone see 4 wins on the schedule or is Iowa going to be one of those lame 5 win teams that plays in a bowl game? (And that's giving the highly positive outlook that they beat two more teams)
Not to nit pick, but it will be hard to go 2-10 when we've all ready put 3 on the left side.......

...one more time. Brian is an issue but he isn't THE issue. Kirk owns this. Only the names will change.

There was a path to sending Kirk out on a high note, and having a fairly smooth transition to the next regime. Unfortunately, that path is really looking like it’s closing down and things are going to get really bad before they get better. A lot of things have gone into this soup, and ultimately Kirk is the one adding the ingredients.

I don’t expect some of the young players on offense to stick around, when they are needed going forward, namely Bruce and Johnson. If one of them is a Hawkeye next year I will be pleasantly surprised. If both are gone, we have nobody in the WR room.

It’s all just…frustrating. Nobody wanted to see this play out like it has.

Nobody wanted to see this play out like it has.
And if AD Gary Barta and U of I President Barbara J. Wilson were doing their jobs, it wouldn't be. And if KF had done what he said he was going to do, retire before he got too old and football passed him by, it wouldn't be. This situation didn't just happen. It's the product of a series of poor decisions and a vast lack of accountability. It didn't have to happen.

Not to nit pick, but it will be hard to go 2-10 when we've all ready put 3 on the left side.......
It feels like they've only won 2 games because the the first game was so terrible, but I did make a mistake.

There was a path to sending Kirk out on a high note, and having a fairly smooth transition to the next regime. Unfortunately, that path is really looking like it’s closing down and things are going to get really bad before they get better. A lot of things have gone into this soup, and ultimately Kirk is the one adding the ingredients.

I don’t expect some of the young players on offense to stick around, when they are needed going forward, namely Bruce and Johnson. If one of them is a Hawkeye next year I will be pleasantly surprised. If both are gone, we have nobody in the WR room.

It’s all just…frustrating. Nobody wanted to see this play out like it has.
you’re projecting your quitter mentality onto the players……there’s a reason some people are part of solutions and others quit….. how about we just see how things work out

Good Christ it’s a good thing many of you aren’t involved in the program in any way….. we would be ****ed

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT