ADVERTISEMENT

This game is not on petras.

I'm done blaming the kid. I'd bet my right nut he would be a different QB in a different system. Even shitty QBs throw more than 3 TDs in 9 games. It's scheme, recruiting, and development all rolled into one giant turd.
I hope he do leave and got to Purdue and end up All American

It is on KF's refusal to upgrade the offense through the transfer portal. A normal coach would have fired at least one of his offensive staff after finishing 121st last year and hit the transfer portal HARD for offensive players in the offseason, not do nothing.
Dude...he sucked bad...the offense all sucked and the offensive coaches sucked even worse.

in the last 7 games Petras has thrown 1 td pass and 8 ints and is averaging 4 yards per pass.

He is historically bad.
Since the start of '21 season, 15 games, SP appeared in 13.

176/313 (56%)
1989yds
10TD
10Int

Remove 2021 cupcakes KentSt, ColoSt and Maryland from those numbers, 10 games:
115/224 (51%)
1297yds
4TD
9Int

Sad...

Last edited:
Here is a Kirk post game gem that makes you think wtf

Q. How much confidence do you have in Spencer moving forward?

KIRK FERENTZ: I still have a lot of confidence in him. I think the noise on the outside is probably a lot louder than it is inside. I have total confidence. He practices well. He's a great young guy. We'll be better next week
I'm not sure if there's a comment that I'm more sick of hearing, or that seems more worthless, than something about how a guy who has a large body of game work is practicing.

Reactions: gohawkz
I'm not sure if there's a comment that I'm more sick of hearing, or that seems more worthless, than something about how a guy who has a large body of game work is practicing.
It's his standard go-to to explain why SP keeps playing. He has absolutely nothing else to justify it.

Here is a Kirk post game gem that makes you think wtf

Q. How much confidence do you have in Spencer moving forward?

KIRK FERENTZ: I still have a lot of confidence in him. I think the noise on the outside is probably a lot louder than it is inside. I have total confidence. He practices well. He's a great young guy. We'll be better next week
To be fair, the offense almost literally has to be better next week.

It is on KF's refusal to upgrade the offense through the transfer portal. A normal coach would have fired at least one of his offensive staff after finishing 121st last year and hit the transfer portal HARD for offensive players in the offseason, not do nothing.
Well, not hitting the transfer portal is one part of the issue, sure. But to say the whole issue starts and stops with not getting a brand new QB to come in and pick up Iowa's offense is a little narrow-minded.

It does boil down to decisions made (or not made) by Ferentz, though....

take any G5 team in the country. Any of them. And the bet is that G5 teams offense will only score 3 points against any FCS team. Who in the F would ever take that bet in any year?

It's absurd.
We missed a FG and had a fumble at about the 4 yard line. Lots of mistakes to go around on offense.

He must have dirt on the Ferentz family. No way 1 guy can suck that bad and continue to get chances otherwise.
Won’t matter much who goes in as bad as the O Line was yesterday. And really only using one RB who doesn’t have incredible speed.

I said it’s not all Petras….i believe the staff is setting him up for failure with the play calls. I believe he’s a better qb from shotgun, did he miss a bunch of throws? Is he staring down receivers? Is he getting happy feet? YES, absolutely but if he IS Iowas QB then it is my opinion they should maybe they should try running a less traditional offense.
Using a less predictable offense would be a good start. But we're talking Kirk here. Coach seems to be allergic to change.

Definitely much much deeper than Petras. Not being to run the ball at all is the root of the problem. Having zero playmakers on offense is a huge problem. Today Iowa State has the best QB by far, best RB by far, atleast the 3 best WR's, and the best offensive line by far. Talent evaluation in recruiting is surely a huge problem. Not using the portal to fill holes is a huge problem. Not being able to identify holes in the offense before it is too late is a big problem. Not being able to recruit QB's that can use their legs when they need to is a big problem.

We will see what happens, it won't stay this way forever. Nobody can keep a job, whether it is a player or coach, with consistent performances as bad as this, especially now after losing. Change will happen sometime, we just don't know what that looks like right now. But everyone needs to know that this offense will struggle mightily this entire year even though they may improve. It is very very limited and will continue to be.

Using a less predictable offense would be a good start. But we're talking Kirk here. Coach seems to be allergic to change.
I kinda take back my statement….it’s still not all on Petras cause I still believe the offense could be tweaked to be run better. Nonetheless to my actual point Petras this game was awful idk what his problem but he can’t make throws of any kind anymore. Him saying “I need to work on my fundamentals” as a senior is not acceptable that ship sailed you should’ve had those down your freshman year. OC needs to go even if it is KF that refuses to change the offense. Then KF has to change the offense (a little) not asking for a Mike Leach spread offense but it’s time to come to the 21st century.

I lost respect for KF today. Never thought that would happen.
Just because today was the final straw he has made lots of bad choices bad games.
The game left him along time ago.
He doesn't coach to win championships because he doesn't feel it's possible here at iowa.
So I have never respected the man as a coach.
He I guess is a good human being with charity and probably a good mentor.

Reactions: mikesright
Brian Ferentz is the only OC who can get by with having the 121 st ranked offense and get a promotion and raise. Pathetic.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
It’s never Petras’s fault. That’s why he’s starting and boring us to death.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT