ADVERTISEMENT

This game is why KF fans are KF fans

It's about people making excuses for a crappy offense as a way to avoid saying anything critical because if they did they wouldn't be a real Iowa fan. I understand and appreciate having an overall strategy of complimentary football, but that's not what we've had the past few years. We've had a sh*tty offense that's consistently bailed out by the D. Nowhere in that post did they acknowledge how sh*tty the offense has been, just that it's our strategy to bring an offense that compliments the play of the defense. That's making excuses. It shouldn't be anyone's strategy to have the worst offense in college football.
I'm pretty sure the coaches didn't meet and decide having the worst offense was the strategy they wanted to go forward with.

Yeah, that's kind of my point.

Quite frankly, the poster, your quoting is ghost of homer, and he’s been around about 25 years and he’s a fairly well respected poster, and he has said many, many, many times, our offense is poor!

I’m also pretty sure you know that, but that’s what you do. You fuel your agenda with things that aren’t really there!

You just want everyone to be as pissed about it as you!

Quite frankly, the poster, your quoting is ghost of homer, and he’s been around about 25 years and he’s a fairly well respected poster, and he has said many, many, many times, our offense is poor!

I’m also pretty sure you know that, but that’s what you do. You fuel your agenda with things that aren’t really there!

You just want everyone to be as pissed about it as you!
Obviously he's not a true Iowa fan then.

Still don't know why you care so much about what I think.

But I thought the only thing that mattered anymore was wins and losses?
if you are content with being "almost" good enough, then congrats.

I see no reason why we shouldnt have higher expectations and hold the coaches accountable.

But I thought the only thing that mattered anymore was wins and losses?
Purdue 24 - Iowa 7
Wisconsin 27 - Iowa 7
Kentucky 20 - Iowa 17
Iowa State 10 - Iowa 7
Illinois 9 - Iowa 6
Those are five games the last two years Iowa would have won, or at least had a great shot at winning, with an average offense. Not putting either Michigan game or Ohio State this year in that category.

Go root for Iowa State. They don't believe they're any good either, and you know what, they're right.

That really is the whole key to this thing. You don't hear this type of crap from Kentucky or the Mississippi schools in the SEC. They don't accept mediocrity and that has literally raised the level of their programs especially when you compare their recent past 1990-2010 to their current ten year history.
And we lost to them at home. Let that sink in…

if you are content with being "almost" good enough, then congrats.

I see no reason why we shouldnt have higher expectations and hold the coaches accountable.
That really wasn't my point and of course they should be. But I would be very careful about what you wish for. It's kind of the penny wise, dollar foolish saying. I want a fancy offense and all of a sudden, 4-5 wins and everyone is bitching again. I'm pretty happy with a boring offense that results in wins far more often than not. Would you rather be Nebraska and change coaches every couple of years? How about Texas? The list goes on and on. And don't think for one second the defense in special teams will be just as good no matter what new head coach comes in. There's a reason they're special and it starts with the head coach. We've just been spoiled with a program that is generally winning 8 to 10 games most every year.

Purdue 24 - Iowa 7
Wisconsin 27 - Iowa 7
Kentucky 20 - Iowa 17
Iowa State 10 - Iowa 7
Illinois 9 - Iowa 6
Those are five games the last two years Iowa would have won, or at least had a great shot at winning, with an average offense. Not putting either Michigan game or Ohio State this year in that category.
And if If's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Yep. And in six of the eight losses the last two years the offense has scored 7 points or less. Spin that one for us. 😊
Umm - we're not Alabama or Ohio State. The university is in a state that doesn't exactly produce a bumper crop of talent every year and unlike teams such as Wisconsin and Minnesota, they have to compete with another Power 5 D-1 school for the talent. To be as consistent as the program has been over the years is pretty good. Expecting to have a perfect team is really for those who spend too much time with their Madden. And two of the games you referenced they scored 7 points, the defense gave up 24 and 27. Not exactly stellar efforts on those two, hmmm? How's that for a spin?

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
Umm - we're not Alabama or Ohio State. The university is in a state that doesn't exactly produce a bumper crop of talent every year and unlike teams such as Wisconsin and Minnesota, they have to compete with another Power 5 D-1 school for the talent. To be as consistent as the program has been over the years is pretty good. Expecting to have a perfect team is really for those who spend too much time with their Madden. And two of the games you referenced they scored 7 points, the defense gave up 24 and 27. Not exactly stellar efforts on those two, hmmm? How's that for a spin?
Iowa has one of the worst offenses in the country. There is NO REASON not to be at least in the top 60. There are dozens of teams not named Alabama or Ohio State that put more points on the board than Iowa. You are just making excuses.

What you do not seem to understand is......it is ok to have a good offense AND a good defense. Having a "fancy" (as you put it) offense, will not automatically make the defense worse, and will not automatically result in 4-5 wins and a revolving door of coaches.

It is inexcusable for Iowa to have the terrible offense that it does. And Hawk fans have every right to expect better.

Iowa has one of the worst offenses in the country. There is NO REASON not to be at least in the top 60. There are dozens of teams not named Alabama or Ohio State that put more points on the board than Iowa. You are just making excuses.

What you do not seem to understand is......it is ok to have a good offense AND a good defense. Having a "fancy" (as you put it) offense, will not automatically make the defense worse, and will not automatically result in 4-5 wins and a revolving door of coaches.

It is inexcusable for Iowa to have the terrible offense that it does. And Hawk fans have every right to expect better.
Oh I understand it all just fine. There are just far too many experts who think building a roster to win 8-10 games most every year is simple and should be a given. What it appears you do not understand is the team is still winning games, stands a great chance to win the Division, all with this poor offense. I'm simply stating the Head Coach deserves a little credit for it all, along with the criticism of the offense.

Apparently not as obvious as you think.

Post #65:

"Iowa's offensive strategy complements our bend-but-not-break D.

If Iowa played with tempo and was more pass-happy ... then the Hawks likely have a D that gets caught on the field for even longer.

Furthermore, if Iowa played with more tempo ... there could be more possession ... which could also allow for the Hawks to dig themselves into holes.

Lastly, if Iowa DIDN'T value an offensive strategy involving balance (both in terms of running-passing) ... that could deleteriously impact either Iowa's run D or pass D. It benefits the D to be able to regularly face off against an O that attempts to execute with balance."
LOL!

Where is that a statement that I'm claiming our O is even remotely okay?

All I'm stating is that Ferentz's offensive strategy is sound.

Nobody is satisfied with the O ... we fans aren't ... the coaches aren't ... and the players aren't.

However, the great fiction is that fans like you seems to think that the coaches and/or players are trying to be so bad on O.

Since I'm an educator ... that would be like me stating that some of my students WANT to fail. I'd be a shitty instructor if I believed that ... and it would be patently (and obviously) untrue.

There's no lipstick to put on the pig that is this years O. Our O has been awful for much of the year. It seemed like maybe we saw a respite against Northwestern and Purdue ... but then we saw a back-step when we faced the adversity posed by a talented defense.

Where I take issue is that many fans falsely take the assumption that the current O could magically be better if we just had different coaching or something like that. Just look at the current context of our O ... nothing undoes the fact that our WRs were injured through the front side of the season. Nothing undoes what we've been seeing from a young/inexperienced OL. Myself and other fans had already previously discussed how bad pass-pro may have previously impacted Petras (psychologically) ... so how does that problem not get further compounded by the poor blocking from this season?

I'm also perplexed how many fans panic and jump to the conclusion that Iowa has poor talent on the OL. If folks track our recruiting on the OL ... it's been fine in recent years. The PROBLEM with the OL recruiting was that we had too many misses before that ... and consequently we don't currently have an experienced leaders to help provide a stabilizing/settling influence on our current OL-room.

Fans classically have little patience ... and often possess short-memories. We've seen this sort of situation on the OL before ... and it rarely lasts.

It's about people making excuses for a crappy offense as a way to avoid saying anything critical because if they did they wouldn't be a real Iowa fan. I understand and appreciate having an overall strategy of complimentary football, but that's not what we've had the past few years. We've had a sh*tty offense that's consistently bailed out by the D. Nowhere in that post did they acknowledge how sh*tty the offense has been, just that it's our strategy to bring an offense that compliments the play of the defense. That's making excuses. It shouldn't be anyone's strategy to have the worst offense in college football.
In 2018, our offensive play was quite good ... but we couldn't shore up the personnel-holes that we had on D ... primarily arising from uneven LB-play and accounting for injuries we had at CB.

It's true ... Iowa's offensive play has been terrible in '21 and '22.

It is worth speculating that perhaps Brian's O didn't look as much like dogshit in some of the earlier years because we had generational talent at TE?

Oh I understand it all just fine. There are just far too many experts who think building a roster to win 8-10 games most every year is simple and should be a given. What it appears you do not understand is the team is still winning games, stands a great chance to win the Division, all with this poor offense. I'm simply stating the Head Coach deserves a little credit for it all, along with the criticism of the offense.
Hahaha. You realize that the blue bloods like UCF, UTSA, SMU, Western Kentucky, and North Texas all have top 15 offenses? No one is asking for that. Just not to be one of the worst offenses in the history of the big ten.
And you must not watch this Iowa team much. Iowa gave up 54 against Ohio State this year, and that was a stellar effort. Do better.

Hahaha. You realize that the blue bloods like UCF, UTSA, SMU, Western Kentucky, and North Texas all have top 15 offenses? No one is asking for that. Just not to be one of the worst offenses in the history of the big ten.
And you must not watch this Iowa team much. Iowa gave up 54 against Ohio State this year, and that was a stellar effort. Do better.
And who do you think would win in those games against these juggernauts you just listed? Try harder.

In 2018, our offensive play was quite good ... but we couldn't shore up the personnel-holes that we had on D ... primarily arising from uneven LB-play and accounting for injuries we had at CB.

It's true ... Iowa's offensive play has been terrible in '21 and '22.

It is worth speculating that perhaps Brian's O didn't look as much like dogshit in some of the earlier years because we had generational talent at TE?
or just better talent in general?

That really wasn't my point and of course they should be. But I would be very careful about what you wish for. It's kind of the penny wise, dollar foolish saying. I want a fancy offense and all of a sudden, 4-5 wins and everyone is bitching again. I'm pretty happy with a boring offense that results in wins far more often than not. Would you rather be Nebraska and change coaches every couple of years? How about Texas? The list goes on and on. And don't think for one second the defense in special teams will be just as good no matter what new head coach comes in. There's a reason they're special and it starts with the head coach. We've just been spoiled with a program that is generally winning 8 to 10 games most every year.
If we sit on caution, life passes by. We wont know "if" unless we choose.

Reactions: 83Hawk
I also understand the Hawks would be 8-2 and ranked in the Top 25 with a Top 100 offense. Sure, they are winning games. But not as many as they would with even an average offense.

ADVERTISEMENT