ADVERTISEMENT

This is exactly what’s wrong with politics today

theiacowtipper

HR Legend
Feb 17, 2004
The details of the bill are irrelevant to what I’m saying, so save criticism or praise of the actual bill for another thread. This particular bill is for the development of a natural gas pipeline.

My point is that Republicans are withholding support of this bill but because of the specifics of the bill, but because they don’t want to give a sitting Senator votes in what will be a tough 2024 reelection.

This is precisely what’s wrong with elected politicians today. They are so entrenched by party that they refuse to do what’s best for the country. They refuse to develop compromise and consensus. The only real consideration is what’s good for their political party.

To be clear, while this example is criticizing Republicans, there’s no question that Democrats are guilty as well.

Can you please post an example of democrats doing this.
Refused to negotiate with Trump to secure the border and give dreamers legal status.

Refused to negotiate on healthcare early on, or COVID relief prior to the election because it would give trump a "win" (shouldn't have been a package anyway, but of course they did it as soon as Biden was in office).

OP is right. I've made this point many times before as well, and the only thing any of them are thinking about is staying in office. They do not care at all what might actually be best for the country over the long haul.

Term limits would help, but single issue bills would also help. Parties introduce these bills knowing they don't have the support because of all the BS in them, then say it's for [INSERT SOMETHING THAT SOUNDS LIKE A NO BRAINER], just so they can say the other party is against the big no brainer. If it were limited to 1-3 items, it would be much more transparent and could be taken more seriously.

I disagree Dems negotiated trump wouldn’t accept a win. Spin it how you want. You can’t provide examples. Appreciate the weak attempt

Reactions: Huey Grey
The details of the bill are irrelevant to what I’m saying, so save criticism or praise of the actual bill for another thread. This particular bill is for the development of a natural gas pipeline.

My point is that Republicans are withholding support of this bill but because of the specifics of the bill, but because they don’t want to give a sitting Senator votes in what will be a tough 2024 reelection.

This is precisely what’s wrong with elected politicians today. They are so entrenched by party that they refuse to do what’s best for the country. They refuse to develop compromise and consensus. The only real consideration is what’s good for their political party.

To be clear, while this example is criticizing Republicans, there’s no question that Democrats are guilty as well.

I apologize for my fellow-HROTter's inability to understand your point.

Or maybe it's me. Let me try to restate your point as simply as I can. You can let me know if I got your point.

Rs (in this case) are voting against something they actually support to screw the other side.

It's not that they won't compromise to get something they want. It's that they are rejecting a win on what they want.

Reactions: theiacowtipper
The central point of my original post is to whine incessantly about the fact that political party loyalty seems to have become more important than sound policy development to create growth in our country.

There are politicians that will buck their party, but they re notable for their rarity. Manchin, etc. When you have a group of Republican candidates for president who to a person refuse a compromise deal on taxes and spending even at a 10:1 ratio it illustrates the issue.

If the Senate and House were equally divided into thirds by three political parties and the presidency was a fourth we would be much better off. Ive never really been a fan of term limits but it’s going to have to happen.

Reactions: herkyhawk00
Can you please post an example of democrats doing this.
You can’t be this naive, can you? Congress is a cess pool. Each party wants to prevent the other party from passing anything they think will either be good for the country or will reflect positively on the party in charge. They both fight tooth and nail not for the betterment of the country but for power. These people all become millionaires after getting into politics.

Reactions: abby97
I agree with the overall premise of what OP is saying, but with the way Joe killed family friendly provisions earlier this year, I’m not sure I care.

Reactions: goldmom
I think if republicans proposed something most democrats wanted but would help a rep. I think they would pass it.
I understand Dems are dirty. They just aren’t nearly as bad as republicans. Democrats would not do this. That’s why you have no examples.

Reactions: hawksurprize
I think if republicans proposed something most democrats wanted but would help a rep. I think they would pass it.
I understand Dems are dirty. They just aren’t nearly as bad as republicans. Democrats would not do this. That’s why you have no examples.
Tom, is that you?

Refused to negotiate with Trump to secure the border and give dreamers legal status.

Refused to negotiate on healthcare early on, or COVID relief prior to the election because it would give trump a "win" (shouldn't have been a package anyway, but of course they did it as soon as Biden was in office).

OP is right. I've made this point many times before as well, and the only thing any of them are thinking about is staying in office. They do not care at all what might actually be best for the country over the long haul.

Term limits would help, but single issue bills would also help. Parties introduce these bills knowing they don't have the support because of all the BS in them, then say it's for [INSERT SOMETHING THAT SOUNDS LIKE A NO BRAINER], just so they can say the other party is against the big no brainer. If it were limited to 1-3 items, it would be much more transparent and could be taken more seriously.
Wasn’t there a negotiated deal on immigration the Trump scuttled?

Wasn’t there a negotiated deal on immigration the Trump scuttled?
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) met privately with Trump at the White House in January, and the two had what was described as the "Cheeseburger Summit." After the meeting, the Democratic leader seemed optimistic that he and the president had come up with the "framework" for an immigration deal.

As we discussed at the time, the basic contours of the deal were straightforward: Schumer was willing to accept funding for a border wall in exchange for DACA protections for Dreamers.

After Trump negotiated the terms, the White House balked: Chief of Staff John Kelly called Schumer soon after to explain the plan wasn't far enough to the right for Republicans. Trump himself declared that he'd need far more in any deal, including significant cuts to legal immigration.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
You are a brain washed moron.

ADVERTISEMENT