ADVERTISEMENT

This is getting old fast.

Its a silly list anyway. USC has been horrid even longer, and Oregon may have deep pockets, but they are certainly not a blue blood by any measure.....
It's more about the schools that "thnk" they are worthy... TX, OR, USC certainly fall in that mindset (yes, even Nebby)>

siap the NCAA needs to get a handle on this and fast if this is true. This instantly turns college football into two divisions - competitors and schools that develop the talent for the competitors

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
siap the NCAA needs to get a handle on this and fast if this is true. This instantly turns college football into two divisions - competitors and schools that develop the talent for the competitors

The transfer portal, paying athletes, and now gambling legalization have turned D1 into Minor league pro ball. Congrats NCAA - hope you plan on paying all those that make a name for a college (Med students, music, swimming, etc - you opened this door and now the rush is on to "get paid" - f'ing idiots.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I appreciate college football to stay away from being more and more like the NFL. Maybe it is gone and never to recover. What is your take?
Its too late, if little Billy doesn't like something he will take his ball and go home. They're making it easier every day. I hate it too.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
The transfer portal, paying athletes, and now gambling legalization have turned D1 into Minor league pro ball. Congrats NCAA - hope you plan on paying all those that make a name for a college (Med students, music, swimming, etc - you opened this door and now the rush is on to "get paid" - f'ing idiots.
This is easy to fix though.
They just need to take a stand.... we will pay for your college experience, with free room and board, and all you can eat with the best training we can provide. Plus your regular monthly pay we give you now.
If you don't like it, don't commit. There are thousands of kids that will do it for less than what your getting.
So, bottom line.... take it or leave it.
The end.

They just need to take a stand.... we will pay for your college experience, with free room and board, and all you can eat with the best training we can provide. Plus your regular monthly pay we give you now.
If you don't like it, don't commit. There are thousands of kids that will do it for less than what your getting.
The end.

There’s a difference between paying players and essentially allowing them to be free agents every year all the while your competition is tampering with their current scholarship

The end.
Isn't that the current offer? The problem is the big schools that get the 5* studs are willing to pay (on top of already paying them) for their service. The programs that can't afford it will fall further behind. I can see lawsuits over this by other students that feel their contribution to the school has aided the institution's recognition.

Still think there will end up with a D1A and D1B leagues with the "A" league being the "minor league" for the pros.

I'll just go watch D1AA and lower level ball as I can't stand a majority of the pro level sports anymore.

Yeah, that is the current offer. And it's fine.
Again, if you don't want it, then don't accept it and move on. As I said, there are thousands of other student athletes that would gladly accept this amazing offer.
As for the 5 star studs that want more, too freaking bad. Earn your keep and get drafted.
The schools that want to offer more will deal with NCAA violations... and they should be strongly enforced moving forward by holding the coaches liable as well.
This whole thing is out of control because of the "all about me" generation not wanting to work there way up the ladder.
It's bullshit.

Again, if you don't want it, then don't accept it and move on. As I said, there are thousands of other student athletes that would gladly accept this amazing offer.
As for the 5 star studs that want more, too freaking bad. Earn your keep and get drafted.
The schools that want to offer more will deal with NCAA violations... and they should be strongly enforced moving forward by holding the coaches liable as well.
This whole thing is out of control because of the "all about me" generation not wanting to work there way up the ladder.
It's bullshit.

Its because we've redefined greed as need. Already going to college for free is something that tens of millions of people would want. Getting to play a varsity sport is something millions of kids want. The business opportunities available to the varsity graduate is something millions of young adults want. All of this is ultimately worth around a million to many millions of dollars to this highly privileged group of truly special kids.

That seems like more than adequate consideration for four or five years of part time work. Its not like they're working in fast food, lawn care or convenience store 8 hour daily shifts, 51 weeks a year.

But, its about greed. The schools make even more money than the players and the players just want more without doing anything more for the additional consideration demanded by the players. That is the operational level definition of envy and greed. Eliminate scholarships and you'll quickly discover 99% + of the same guys are trying out for football. HS scholarship would improve as kids learned just being really good in a sport won't pay for college anymore. That might be too much backlash but that's where its headed because so few schools will be able to compete financially.

Once upon a time there was this golden goose....if you're over 40 you know how the story ends.

It's bullshit.
They don't get caught now, they will continue to do so. I am sure the "extra pay for athletes" will occur - then those schools will have to answer to every other student at said institution that feel their contribution is deserving of pay as well. It's a pandora's box they are opening and it sucks as it takes away from the status. I'll still cheer on the Hawks -but I just see 5 years after paying athletic students that there will end up with a 2nd D1 division.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Texas and Ohio St are the 2 biggest revenue producing athletic departments aren’t they? The Buckeyes juggernaut isn’t going anywhere. All that money hasn’t seemed to help Texas in FB over really the last 30 years. Yes, they do have the 1 national championship with Vince Young, but they haven’t come near to dominating. We have proven we can compete with almost anyone besides the true elite. Why should any of this change?

Reactions: Simbahawk4
Texas and Ohio St are the 2 biggest revenue producing athletic departments aren’t they? The Buckeyes juggernaut isn’t going anywhere. All that money hasn’t seemed to help Texas in FB over really the last 30 years. Yes, they do have the 1 national championship with Vince Young, but they haven’t come near to dominating. We have proven we can compete with almost anyone besides the true elite. Why should any of this change?
They have a coach now that can do so.

Saban isn't the reason that Alabama is what it is,.. Nick could drop dead tomorrow and the roll would continue...
Really ? Have you checked out Alabama's records in the years before Saban got there ? Don't kid yourself, Saban has made Alabama what it is today.

Big gap between him and Bear Bryant. Those two made Bama.
Yep, I want to see Alabama get beat every time they play but I also have to give credit when it's due. Saban and Bryant just might be the two greatest CF coaches of all-time

It's bullshit.

Also, it's out of control because coaches can make generational money by winning and when you put that kind of money on the table people will do whatever they can to get it and keep getting it.

Yep, I want to see Alabama get beat every time they play but I also have to give credit when it's due. Saban and Bryant just might be the two greatest CF coaches of all-time
In between the two, 25 seasons and 7 top 10 finishes. Stallings with one NC. 4 losing seasons and multiple NCAA violations. They must have figured those issues out with Saban

In between the two, 25 seasons and 7 top 10 finishes. Stallings with one NC. 4 losing seasons and multiple NCAA violations. They must have figured those issues out with Saban
I was reading awhile back that in terms of consistency (no subpar seasons) that the top two since WW2 are OSU and Oklahoma. In fact, OSU has had only 2 losing seasons since the mid 1960s. One was one of the first John Cooper seasons and the other was 2011 when they went 6-7 after the Tressel sanctions hit them hard. That's just mind-boggling ! That's a spoiled fan base in Columbus

From 97-2007 Bama had a losing record. 51-54. That’s a 10 year drought. Without Saban they could have easily gone the other way and kept losing. Or just continued to be mediocre. Again, look at Texas.

Big gap between him and Bear Bryant. Those two made Bama.
Actually Wallace Wade and Frank Thomas made Alabama a power originally. The Bear and Nick Saban reallly elevated it. The Tide has been mostly good for the last century.

From 97-2007 Bama had a losing record. 51-54. That’s a 10 year drought. Without Saban they could have easily gone the other way and kept losing. Or just continued to be mediocre. Again, look at Texas.
Alabama actually went 72-61 from 1997 through 2007. They won one SEC title. They went to the Orange Bowl, the Cotton, the Independence three times, and the Music City 2 times. They were on probation 2 years (2002 and 2003). Not great, but not really a drought.

. “Again, look at Texas.”
You spelled Nebraska wrong.

. “Again, look at Texas.”
You spelled Nebraska wrong.
HUGE difference between Texas and Nebraska when you compare their recruiting bases. Nebraska's population is 1.9 million and isn't exactly a HS football hotbed. Texas is the flagship school for probably the best HS football state in the country. Absolutely no excuse for that school not to consistently be in the top 5 to 10 every year

Last edited:
Its a silly list anyway. USC has been horrid even longer, and Oregon may have deep pockets, but they are certainly not a blue blood by any measure.....

Oregon isn't a "blue blood". That, by definition, requires deep history. Their "National" success was from 2008-2014 (consecutive 10+ win seasons)...and as you pointed out, a byproduct of a big cash influx. Prior to that they had a lot of great seasons or good ones and a lot of average ones. That ain't blue blood stuff.

So how do we define "blue blood"? "Coming from noble birth with no guarantee of future performance"? As many have noted...Nebraska, USC, Tennessee, Florida, Texas all once considered among the elites but no longer dominate like they did. So what is the expiration date on the title of "Blue Blood"? The word "former" should be attached to many of the schools mentioned.

I'd suggest there are two categories, "Blue Bloods" which were once dominant (not necessarily dominant now) and "Elite" programs which are dominant now. A team like Alabama could be described as both.

Congratulations, Nebraska you were once a Blue Blood, but you ain't elite any more.

So you're saying it's about coaching vs money for the players? Wouldn't that be a positive for the hawks if you think highly of our program and our coaches?
I think highly of our program, I don't think unrealistically (like Nebby, and others).

Alabama actually went 72-61 from 1997 through 2007. They won one SEC title. They went to the Orange Bowl, the Cotton, the Independence three times, and the Music City 2 times. They were on probation 2 years (2002 and 2003). Not great, but not really a drought.
You're right about those years. Not sure where I pulled that info from. Independence Bowl 3 times and Music City bowl twice in that span gets you fired at Alabama, which it did. Saban from his first year when he went 7-6 is now 170-23 overall at Bama. So yes, 11 games over .500 would be considered a drought especially when the current coach wins almost 9 out of every 10 games a year. He is solely responsible for their run over the last 13-14 years.

People could have realized holy shit, Alabama is like a third world country.

ADVERTISEMENT