ADVERTISEMENT

This is how bad the DM Register has become

Nov 30, 2004
This morning's paper has no mention of last night's game: not an article, or a box score, or even the score. I'm not talking about an edition delivered to some remote corner of the state, it's the paper I picked up this morning in Des Moines.

The game was over by 9:30. And the front page of the paper has a photo and article of last night's presidential debate.

No excuse for not having an article about the game.

Gannett, the Register’s master, just merged with GateHouse.

Last week, shareholders at Gannett and GateHouse, the nation’s two largest newspaper chains, voted to approve the merger of the two companies. Gannett, which publishes USA Today, owns just over 100 newspapers while New Media Enterprises, GateHouse Media’s parent company, owns nearly 400 American newspapers across 39 states. When combined, the new company will own one out of every six newspapers in the United States. The deal is expected to close November 19th and has left many already concerned about America’s local journalism crisis afraid of what lies ahead.

Both Gannett and GateHouse have a reputation for cutting staff across their newsrooms. In the past two years alone, the number of employees at Gannett has fallen by one-fifth. The merger will likely entail another round of layoffs for local newspapers across the country to achieve the aggressive cost savings put forward by the companies’ executives. No one knows for sure just how many employees will be laid off in the wake of the merger, but estimates put the number between 3,500 and 4,000. There are 37,900 newsroom employees employed by U.S. newspapers today. If the expected layoffs occur, that will mean a significant reduction of the nation’s total newspaper workforce.​
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixg...rger-could-deepen-americas-local-news-crisis/

This morning's paper has no mention of last night's game: not an article, or a box score, or even the score. I'm not talking about an edition delivered to some remote corner of the state, it's the paper I picked up this morning in Des Moines.

The game was over by 9:30. And the front page of the paper has a photo and article of last night's presidential debate.

The actual physical paper is not really worth getting, especially for examples like you cited. When you can't get the score of the game in the paper, not worth getting. The Register reporters do a good job of covering Iowa, the online content is good.

But this is where the newspapers are in a bind. They still have the massive overhead of office buildings, printing press, delivery mechanism for the paper, but the ad revenue for the printed paper just isn't there. It is too bad with what has gone on at the P-C, the Register and with KXNO radio yesterday, it's always better when local outlets are covering local stories. But figuring out how to make all of that work financially is going to be difficult. Not sure how that plays out long term.

Last week, shareholders at Gannett and GateHouse, the nation’s two largest newspaper chains, voted to approve the merger of the two companies. Gannett, which publishes USA Today, owns just over 100 newspapers while New Media Enterprises, GateHouse Media’s parent company, owns nearly 400 American newspapers across 39 states. When combined, the new company will own one out of every six newspapers in the United States. The deal is expected to close November 19th and has left many already concerned about America’s local journalism crisis afraid of what lies ahead.

Both Gannett and GateHouse have a reputation for cutting staff across their newsrooms. In the past two years alone, the number of employees at Gannett has fallen by one-fifth. The merger will likely entail another round of layoffs for local newspapers across the country to achieve the aggressive cost savings put forward by the companies’ executives. No one knows for sure just how many employees will be laid off in the wake of the merger, but estimates put the number between 3,500 and 4,000. There are 37,900 newsroom employees employed by U.S. newspapers today. If the expected layoffs occur, that will mean a significant reduction of the nation’s total newspaper workforce.​
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixg...rger-could-deepen-americas-local-news-crisis/
So there is now a bigger company that will fail.

Seems like a hell of a waste of money, given where newspapers are in society today. Owning one in six papers, is kinda like being the tallest midget in the room. Just sayin......

A few observations (and I don't get the DMR, so not "defending" them):

1) Randy Peterson would have nothing to do with the paper not having any Iowa score, statistics, or summary article.
2) I'd assume most people that want any of those 3 things know about the Internet as a source for information.
3) If one is a subscriber, one has access to all of the online content, including Chad and Mark's content (forget the name right now)

Reactions: littlez
A few observations (and I don't get the DMR, so not "defending" them):

1) Randy Peterson would have nothing to do with the paper not having any Iowa score, statistics, or summary article.
2) I'd assume most people that want any of those 3 things know about the Internet as a source for information.
3) If one is a subscriber, one has access to all of the online content, including Chad and Mark's content (forget the name right now)

Here is the thing... I like Chad and Mark and I think their work is really well done. Those two guys need to break off and start their own source of media. Especially Chad breaking through with the group texting which is offering a service that nobody else offers. If I were Chad - start my own subscription website, bring in Mark with him and continue to offer the text. I subscribed to The Athletic because I like Dochtermans content, and I wouldn't think twice about subscribing to Chad's content either - especially if he continues to offer the text news. Also - they may get a bunch of subscribers having the head of the NCAA involved. :)

Reactions: mtdew_fever
People didn't stop purchasing the hard copy because of lousy content. The hard copy has lousy content because people stopped purchasing. Get a digital subscription -- good content / virtually real-time / saving trees.

Reactions: Johnny Uthoff
People didn't stop purchasing the hard copy because of lousy content. The hard copy has lousy content because people stopped purchasing. Get a digital subscription -- good content / virtually real-time / saving trees.
Same content, just later.

Don't forget the Rags little sister the IC Depressed-C(h)itizen.

The Dem Moines cyclone register has long given-up the ghost on being anything of substance.

The Hawkeye state really does need a new Paper of record.

Everyone knows whose 'teams' they glowingly favor.

Go Hawks !!!

Chad and Mark could join the former KxNO team and start their own employee-owned network... Online media with a local radio network. Screw the shareholders and corporate greed!

Here is the thing... I like Chad and Mark and I think their work is really well done. Those two guys need to break off and start their own source of media. Especially Chad breaking through with the group texting which is offering a service that nobody else offers. If I were Chad - start my own subscription website, bring in Mark with him and continue to offer the text. I subscribed to The Athletic because I like Dochtermans content, and I wouldn't think twice about subscribing to Chad's content either - especially if he continues to offer the text news. Also - they may get a bunch of subscribers having the head of the NCAA involved. :)

Reactions: BaldHawk4Life

This is correct... but I did stop getting the digital subscription because they kept raising prices and the content was well... pretty lousy. On top of it... as a high school football coach - you get sick of their slanted and biased content towards Dowling and Valley.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
The press-citizen is also bad. They did a horrible job of covering local high school sports. Always Iowa related which I can't complain about,but there was no room for anything else. When the current generation of 60 + meet their maker. I doubt there will be any newspapers around which is fine because most of it is BS anyway meant to form public opinion rather than inform their reader just as the BS spouted by the MSM.

Why in today's world is anybody still bitching about the newspaper? It's not 1950. Or 1990 even. The world has changed whether you like it or not. Do you really need a newspaper to read about the Iowa game last night? Couldn't find a box score ? Really? It was available instantly online after the game in about 25 different places. Papers are dying in case you didn't know.

I can only believe that the Newspaper world is purchased primarily by the baby boomer sect of society. Even a large percentage of them have transformed over to the digital wave.
I personally do not buy the DMR or other paper news because of their political sewer sway and that I can jump on the internet and get what I need in a couple seconds.

Great story

On top of it... as a high school football coach - you get sick of their slanted and biased content towards Dowling and Valley.

The above is a great example of silliness. People want to read about the best teams in any sport - especially one that has just done something no school will EVER do again by winning so many consecutive high school football championships (is it 6 or 7 straight, I cannot even remember)... Did you read this article by chance as it covered some of the pathetic Des Moines Public schools that nobody cares about: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...dan-sabers-dmps-des-moines-public/1619000001/

The above is a great example of silliness. People want to read about the best teams in any sport - especially one that has just done something no school will EVER do again by winning so many consecutive high school football championships (is it 6 or 7 straight, I cannot even remember)... Did you read this article by chance as it covered some of the pathetic Des Moines Public schools that nobody cares about: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...dan-sabers-dmps-des-moines-public/1619000001/

The problem with your take is that you ignore the fact that there is some really good football in the metro besides those two schools. Carlisle, Norwalk, Dallas Center-Grimes, Ankeny, Ankeny Centennial, SE Polk, Johnston, Waukee, and many others. Don’t just jump to the easy argument that nobody cares about DMPS and they are awful. The Register could and should do a better job if they want people to pay for their subscription. Especially if they want the above mentioned communities to subscribe.

That is a long streak, must have broken it 2-3 years ago and the previous record holder must be from decades ago

USA Today was “tomorrow’s paper today”.

DMR “yesterday’s paper tomorrow “

The problem with your take is that you ignore the fact that there is some really good football in the metro besides those two schools. Carlisle, Norwalk, Dallas Center-Grimes, Ankeny, Ankeny Centennial, SE Polk, Johnston, Waukee, and many others. Don’t just jump to the easy argument that nobody cares about DMPS and they are awful. The Register could and should do a better job if they want people to pay for their subscription. Especially if they want the above mentioned communities to subscribe.

Ok, and I apologize if it came of as me being a total dick (it probably did) ... I would argue the DMR does cover some of those teams, such as the two Ankeny schools and Waukee, Johnston, and SEP. I'm not familiar with DCG, Norwalk, or Carlisle but can see how each community (especially DCG) will be on the rise in the years to come.

But the thing is, the kings of 4A have the population and get most of the press. And it will likely always be that way. If Ankeny starts to regularly get to the dome, you'll see articles that only cover them and occasionally cover Dowling and Valley when they play Ankeny.

I didn't mean to be a jerk, I do apologize.

Reactions: rfgiowa
What's the matter with some of you people, wanting to get up in the morning and sit back in your favorite recliner with a cup of coffee and be able to read about last night's game? in your local newspaper?

The press-citizen is also bad. They did a horrible job of covering local high school sports. Always Iowa related which I can't complain about,but there was no room for anything else. When the current generation of 60 + meet their maker. I doubt there will be any newspapers around which is fine because most of it is BS anyway meant to form public opinion rather than inform their reader just as the BS spouted by the MSM.

So true, here. The Press-corruption can't even get Friday night scores from High school FB, BB in, so it's really worthless now.

bitch bitch bitch. isnt the des moines register one of the employers of chad and mark??? in my mind, they provide the best coverage of hawk sports hands down.

This is correct... but I did stop getting the digital subscription because they kept raising prices and the content was well... pretty lousy. On top of it... as a high school football coach - you get sick of their slanted and biased content towards Dowling and Valley.

Their content has been slanted towards Dowling and Valley since before I was in HS...in the early 1980s.

Reactions: BaldHawk4Life
Ok, and I apologize if it came of as me being a total dick (it probably did) ... I would argue the DMR does cover some of those teams, such as the two Ankeny schools and Waukee, Johnston, and SEP. I'm not familiar with DCG, Norwalk, or Carlisle but can see how each community (especially DCG) will be on the rise in the years to come.

But the thing is, the kings of 4A have the population and get most of the press. And it will likely always be that way. If Ankeny starts to regularly get to the dome, you'll see articles that only cover them and occasionally cover Dowling and Valley when they play Ankeny.

I didn't mean to be a jerk, I do apologize.

Not a problem and I see what you are saying. Some of the articles that they write include predictions and commentary on those predictions. Many of them are made without any research whatsoever and are completely based on Dowling & Valleys past. There have been times where they get players names/positions incorrect and they don't look at statistics or do any homework whatsoever. In most cases, I would say it is obvious they have never seen the other team play. Cuellar was awful and Goodwin is possibly worse. I would love to support their work, but I just can't do it if they aren't going to put the effort into being knowledgeable about the teams they are "covering". Some of their recorded interviews with these high school athletes are brutal and unfair to the athlete as well. They are always trying to get them to say something negative about the opponent.

When I moved to DSM I became a subscription holder and it has been the last couple years that I decided I could no longer support them with money out of my paycheck. There are other media outlets that have integrity, and do things the right way that I would rather support.

isu fans must be irate that the scores and stories about the mens and womens games from last night aren't in today;s paper. Oh wait, they both lost, so maybe not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT