ADVERTISEMENT

This is My Biggest Concern

Greenway4Prez

HB Legend
Jan 10, 2005
Sorry, not a another thread about the offense, or Cade, or WR’s, or any of the other things that have been beaten to death.

Fellas, we are currently 85th in the nation in pass efficiency defense. I knew there was a dropoff this year, but this is….something.

Hopefully we can fix it soon, as Washington brings a very efficient passing attack to Kinnick.

After this, we don’t exactly face a murderer’s row of passing games.

Sorry, not a another thread about the offense, or Cade, or WR’s, or any of the other things that have been beaten to death.

Fellas, we are currently 85th in the nation in pass efficiency defense. I knew there was a dropoff this year, but this is….something.

Hopefully we can fix it soon, as Washington brings a very efficient passing attack to Kinnick.

What’s interesting about that is I thought I saw Harris was the highest rated corner in the country. If so the rest of the group must not be doing well at all.

The other thing that has really surprised me is the lack of QB sacks/pressures. I was expecting us to tee off on the Cyclone o-line and instead their QB didn’t seem to be under pressure much at all.

Aaron Graves had a huge game against Illinois St but other than that I don’t remember us getting after the QB much in any of the other 4 games.

What’s interesting about that is I thought I saw Harris was the highest rated corner in the country. If so the rest of the group must not be doing well at all.
Harris has been a stud, but still too prone to the double move.

As has been pointed out, we just haven’t made QB’s uncomfortable, and I think our deep safety play has been poor.

Washington will do nothing but pass this Saturday, so they'll be tested. Despite the couple explosive plays, I think our secondary did a good job containing OSU for most of the game, and that's the most lethal passing attack in the nation. We're likely not as bad as the rating says we are.

The other thing that has really surprised me is the lack of QB sacks/pressures. I was expecting us to tee off on the Cyclone o-line and instead their QB didn’t seem to be under pressure much at all.

Aaron Graves had a huge game against Illinois St but other than that I don’t remember us getting after the QB much in any of the other 4 games.
Agreed. So many reporters, podcasters, etc. talked up Graves and Black, but they've never impressed me. Brian Allen and Max Lewellen look just as good if not better. Iose can't arrive soon enough.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
my biggest concern hasn't changed in 5 years. It's hard to win CFB games expecting your defense to hold opponents to under 20 points a game.

not every team is from the B1G West and you can't win 1 score games against shitty teams forever

Reactions: littlez
my biggest concern hasn't changed in 5 years. It's hard to win CFB games expecting your defense to hold opponents to under 20 points a game.

not every team is from the B1G West and you can't win 1 score games against shitty teams forever
And yet, Iowa has held teams to an average of less than 20 points for the last 8 consecutive years. No one else is close. We've also managed to win a good amount of games during that period.

BTW. Iowa wasn't the only team that played Shitty west teams. Just one of the most successful at beating them.

Hawks sorely miss dejean.
we've downgraded severely at dejean's position (he could play 3 spots on D and PR) and to less severe degree at evans and logan's
massive downgrade at tory's spot as well
the offense is better but not yet playing well enough to make up for all those downgrades. we should've had a massive upgrade at qb (which would've made up for almost all of the defensive losses) but we've had to settle for minimally tiny improvement at qb instead

wow that's a big drop but matches the eye-test.
so even if we manage to somehow play and survive for 2-3 quarters you know this pass defense will be coming apart at some point. against washinton hope we are well prepared to go for it on 4th down a couple times -- could be the difference in manufacturing a win.

In fairness to the defensive secondary Greenway….look who they practice against 6 days a week.

Washington will do nothing but pass this Saturday, so they'll be tested. Despite the couple explosive plays, I think our secondary did a good job containing OSU for most of the game, and that's the most lethal passing attack in the nation. We're likely not as bad as the rating says we are.

Agreed. So many reporters, podcasters, etc. talked up Graves and Black, but they've never impressed me. Brian Allen and Max Lewellen look just as good if not better. Iose can't arrive soon enough.
Have to partially agree with you as Allen is a beast and Max too … will see with a year more of conditioning and more playing time

Washington's run/pass ratio is almost exactly 50/50. They average 5.0 YPC and have Jonah Coleman as their RB... they're going to run the ball.

As clichéd as it is, Iowa just needs to limit the big play and get off the field on third downs. The problem is that Washington has shown to be competent in both the run and pass game.

Secondary has had their fare share of problems. Iowa is surprisingly still #3 in Adjusted Defense Efficiency but #35 in Unadjusted. The last few years they were top 6 in both

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT