ADVERTISEMENT

This is the weekend...

BonzoFury

HR All-American
Feb 4, 2022
we start to lose guys. With no game, all the players are watching other teams, seeing exciting, aggressive, "play to win" offensive football... and starting to ask "what the hell am I doing here"? It won't show until December and after the season finale'. But a lot of guys will be thinking about where they want to continue their college football careers as they go to sleep tonight. After we get embarrassed in Columbus next week...it'll get worse.

It's not going to end well for Kirk.

Last edited:
we start to lose guys. With no game, all the players are watching other games, seeing exciting, aggressive, "play to win" offensive football... and starting to ask "what the hell am I doing here"? It won't show until December and after the season finale'. But a lot of guys will be thinking about where they want to continue their college football careers as they go to sleep tonight. After we get embarrassed in Columbus next week...it'll get worse.

And to see Kyle Willingham from Utah about the same age as Kirk be aggressive on offense and go for the two point conversion and win just makes me even more frustrated with the incompetence Iowa has on the offensive side of the ball.

And to see Kyle Wittingham from Utah about the same age as Kirk be aggressive on offense and go for the two point conversion and win just makes me even more frustrated with the incompetence Iowa has on the offensive side of the ball.
Yes. Absolutely right. And how about that Utah QB--and did you hear what Whittingham said about the guy? It was something like what a great competitor he is and how he believed he would find a way to win, so he never hesitated to go for the 2-point conversion. He did NOT say what a great game manager he was or how well he knew the offense or how great he looked in practice.

Until somebody else is in charge, Ferentz Family Football will continue to embarrass itself and all those associated with it. And just for the record: give KF his due, but compared to Hayden Fry and Forest Evashevski--not that they were perfect--KF shrinks like a cheap T-shirt in hot water.

Yes. Absolutely right. And how about that Utah QB--and did you hear what Whittingham said about the guy? It was something like what a great competitor he is and how he believed he would find a way to win, so he never hesitated to go for the 2-point conversion. He did NOT say what a great game manager he was or how well he knew the offense or how great he looked in practice.

Until somebody else is in charge, Ferentz Family Football will continue to embarrass itself and all those associated with it. And just for the record: give KF his due, but compared to Hayden Fry and Forest Evashevski--not that they were perfect--KF shrinks like a cheap T-shirt in hot water.
I don't follow the Utes, but would love to have a Whittingham (or the like) at Iowa based on that game alone. I saw that their QB had originally signed with Texas in '18, so I am guessing that Whittingham grabbed him from this 'portal' I keep hearing of....:rolleyes:

we start to lose guys. With no game, all the players are watching other teams, seeing exciting, aggressive, "play to win" offensive football... and starting to ask "what the hell am I doing here"? It won't show until December and after the season finale'. But a lot of guys will be thinking about where they want to continue their college football careers as they go to sleep tonight. After we get embarrassed in Columbus next week...it'll get worse.

Well let's list the current offensive players that could transfer that we would miss, and that could also go to another P5 program and be the next "Charlie Jones"........

Keagan Johnson (could transfer, but will be a starter if/when healthy
Kaleb Johnson
Arland Bruce (giving up a starting role to transfer to new offense)

......and that's it.

Now as far as recruits go, that's where you need to be concerned.

IMO I would not be surprised to see a double-digit number in transfers off-season. Recruiting, transfers, and BIG elimination of divisions will ultimately be the demise of the Ferentz era. Just a matter of how long. Only caveat is if he makes major changes to offense/coaches. JMO

I kinda agree that this weekend, as described by the OP, will mark the beginning of the season unraveling, as more and more players “check out.” We will start losing players, recruits and a lots of games. I predict Sat will be the worst loss of the KF era. The only way there won’t be 15,000 empty seats for Nebraska is if the Huskers manage to get to 5 wins and their fans show up to watch them become bowl-eligible. These are dark times for Iowa football. I wish it weren’t so…

I think the only real threat for transfer is Keagan. Kaleb will be a featured starter and Bruce is not likely going to find a better situation (imo) as long as we can find a QB that can actually get him the ball.

Hope Vines and Bostick stick with it and we find a portal WR to replace Keagan. The real kick to the nuts will be Keagan going elsewhere (prob brasky) and putting up good numbers.

But recruiting…. Good luck….ouch.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I think the only real threat for transfer is Keagan. Kaleb will be a featured starter and Bruce is not likely going to find a better situation (imo) as long as we can find a QB that can actually get him the ball.

Hope Vines and Bostick stick with it and we find a portal WR to replace Keagan. The real kick to the nuts will be Keagan going elsewhere (prob brasky) and putting up good numbers.

But recruiting…. Good luck….ouch.
Another xfer to Purdue?

ADVERTISEMENT