ADVERTISEMENT

This is why I want fewer bowls

Hawkfan_08

HR Legend
Nov 9, 2002
North Liberty
Florida was a joke tonight and not because they were routed. It's because this bowl game meant so little to players that they didn't even play the game. They messed with 3 different QBs. The WRs that were in couldn't catch a pass from any of the 3 QBs anyways.

To an Iowa fan who didn't get to watch their team play due to COVID, I was frustrated.

It's obviously not just Florida but many others as well. I really do love bowl season but not diluted crap which mostly comes from P5 conference teams that "don't want to be there."

I fully realize that none of these things will matter due to money and this is only my opinion (which I'm sure will be shredded):
1. Expand playoffs to 8 or more.
2. P5 teams must win 8 games in a P5 conference to qualify OR improve your record by 3 wins from the previous year still having a minimum of 7 wins.
3- All other teams can qualify with 6 wins but can't play a P5 unless they are in the top 20.

Done rambling and venting about teams not caring :)

Last edited:
I’m not buying the players not caring about playing in one of the premier bowl games the cotton bowl, but rather they were decimated by Covid and without 16 players, credit to Florida for even showing up to play unlike the pansies in Missouri and Michigan.

All these bowl games this year should have big ole asterisks next to them in the record books

Unpopular take:

ive said Iowa should treatany bowl that’s not a top tier bowl(really anyone) like a springboard for the next season.

play the players whom you’ll need next year at least in heavy rotation to get live game experience.

these players have earned that time by practicing all year and off season and a nice reward/look at

last year SP could have played against USC and gotten the experience needed to help with this year. Nobody remembers these games, you play to win but you build for the future.

All, I repeat all players that hope and have NFL futures should always skip the bowl if not playing for championship.

Why risk it and that extra time off to train and heal from a long season I would think would pay dividends towards making the league and money.

let’s hear the but but but we want that banner and play all the games. These the same people who support KF playing the starters up 30 in the forth till 4 mins left then handing the ball off to the running back w a QB who needs to work through reads and live game action.

Unpopular take:

ive said Iowa should treatany bowl that’s not a top tier bowl(really anyone) like a springboard for the next season.

play the players whom you’ll need next year at least in heavy rotation to get live game experience.

these players have earned that time by practicing all year and off season and a nice reward/look at

last year SP could have played against USC and gotten the experience needed to help with this year. Nobody remembers these games, you play to win but you build for the future.

All, I repeat all players that hope and have NFL futures should always skip the bowl if not playing for championship.

Why risk it and that extra time off to train and heal from a long season I would think would pay dividends towards making the league and money.

let’s hear the but but but we want that banner and play all the games. These the same people who support KF playing the starters up 30 in the forth till 4 mins left then handing the ball off to the running back w a QB who needs to work through reads and live game action.

I would say this would be an unpopular take 5 years ago. Today, even before COVID ravaged the season, things were trending in this direction. Jaylon Smith (Notre Dame stud linebacker) shredding his knee in the 2015-16 Fiesta Bowl gave everyone pause because that game meant nothing and he was a sure-fire top 15 pick. The following bowl season Christian McCaffrey said thanks but no thanks to the 2016 Sun Bowl and I remember the talking heads saying “Maybe 2-3 guys a year could even think of doing this and most years those guys will want to play and yada yada yada.” The trend had begun, though, and after this season no one will bat an eye when some dude pulls a hammy week 4 and declares for the draft.

So, to your point, I think you’re right that more teams will begin to use bowl games as springboards for the following season, but most of these guys still want to play in these bowl games because it feels like a capstone on their collegiate careers. And the coaches will let them play. As a leader, it would be just a shitty message to send to your players (of all ages) that you’re benching upperclassmen in bowl games, even though they’ve earned the opportunity, because you wanna get next year’s new starters more reps to win next year instead of today. If you have a chance to win a bowl, win the damn bowl. Realistically, in any given season, only 5-6 teams will have a chance to play BAMA in the following year’s NC game anyway.

Reactions: haightt
Florida was a joke tonight and not because they were routed. It's because this bowl game meant so little that the players that they didn't even play the game. They messed with 3 different QBs. The WRs that were in couldn't catch a pass from any of the 3 QBs anyways.

To an Iowa fan who didn't get to watch their team play due to COVID, I was frustrated.

It's obviously not just Florida but many others as well. I really do love bowl season but not diluted crap which mostly comes from P5 conference teams that "don't want to be there."

I fully realize that none of these things will matter due to money and this is only my opinion (which I'm sure will be shredded):
2. P5 teams must win 8 games in a P5 conference to qualify OR improve your record by 3 wins from the previous year still having a minimum of 7 wins.
3- All other teams can qualify with 6 wins but can't play a P5 unless they are in the top 20.

Won’t shred it at all, and in fact I agree with it. There’s too many and it’s basically saying “congratulations—you were very average this year!!!(6-6)”. I get that those teams get extra practices which can be beneficial but if they make a rule that allows every team to have a handful more practices but no bowl....
I love the game but—and this years mess aside—there are teams/games that shouldn’t be playing.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Florida was a joke tonight and not because they were routed. It's because this bowl game meant so little that the players that they didn't even play the game. They messed with 3 different QBs. The WRs that were in couldn't catch a pass from any of the 3 QBs anyways.

Need to change the scholarship rules. If you don't play (other than a verified injury) then you pay the scholarship back.

Reactions: 24 so far
I think this is the forebearer of athletes skipping entire SEASONS to prep for the NFL draft. In fact, that would actually be preferable because if they declare with sufficient notice, the coaching staff can transfer the scholly to a walk-on that's paid his dues.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
The committee absolutely needs to figure out how to add value back to bowl games, expanding the playoff is one of the options to do so. Even so I will never fault a player for opting out to potentially secure life-changing money, I just don’t think it’s a good look to do it mid-game. It is the coaches job to prepare the team for those situations in today’s environment.

Yes because this is a normal year. Slow your roll.

I recognize Florida's issues but they also had guys opting out. I also appreciate them playing unlike other teams.

The idea of opting out is just strange. Nobody opts out for any regular season game but the bowls have become meaningless for top players.

The number of bowls isn't the issue. Every team could play in a bowl game for all I care, there's no such thing as too much college football. ESPN and the other talking heads have diminished all the bowls that aren't the final four games to the point that they appear meaningless. The NFL may have the Jaguars playing the Bengals, but they still mention them, and build their value rather than tear it down.

Unpopular take:

Yeah...start Petras in the Holiday Bowl. Give me a break.

Reactions: doughuddl2
Why do some of you always bring ESPN into this? The bowls have been diminished because they don’t mean anything anymore. Totally agree with the OP. This isn’t a COVID thing either. More and more players are going to keep opting out. ESPN was the one stuck having to air that dog crap game. Bowl system needs totally blown up. 1 preseason game, 9 game conference schedule and 16 team playoff. If D2 can do it there’s no reason we can’t. It would be a blast.

I would say this would be an unpopular take 5 years ago. Today, even before COVID ravaged the season, things were trending in this direction. Jaylon Smith (Notre Dame stud linebacker) shredding his knee in the 2015-16 Fiesta Bowl gave everyone pause because that game meant nothing and he was a sure-fire top 15 pick. The following bowl season Christian McCaffrey said thanks but no thanks to the 2016 Sun Bowl and I remember the talking heads saying “Maybe 2-3 guys a year could even think of doing this and most years those guys will want to play and yada yada yada.” The trend had begun, though, and after this season no one will bat an eye when some dude pulls a hammy week 4 and declares for the draft.

So, to your point, I think you’re right that more teams will begin to use bowl games as springboards for the following season, but most of these guys still want to play in these bowl games because it feels like a capstone on their collegiate careers. And the coaches will let them play. As a leader, it would be just a shitty message to send to your players (of all ages) that you’re benching upperclassmen in bowl games, even though they’ve earned the opportunity, because you wanna get next year’s new starters more reps to win next year instead of today. If you have a chance to win a bowl, win the damn bowl. Realistically, in any given season, only 5-6 teams will have a chance to play BAMA in the following year’s NC game anyway.
For every Christian McCaffery and Noah Fant, there are 100 T.J. Hockensen's.

Football is the ultimate Team Sport IMO, and plenty of players play thru a variety of injuries in Bowl Games just to keep being a part of The Team that they've bonded and toiled with for a good stretch of time. NFL prospects or not.

Injuries are a part of sports, and VERY FEW of them are career ending. You're more likely to be struck by lightning than you are to suffer a career ending injury in a Bowl Game.

If you're that good that you think you're a lock for the NFL, take out an insurance policy if it bothers you that much to show up with your Teammates who are counting on you to be there.

I will not now or ever be a proponent for opting out of something (extremely low probabilities aside) when their are Teammates involved. Not gonna happen.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
I think it has been shown that any system that does not include a legitimate shot for every team to earn a spot in the playoffs on the field and not have to rely on some committee to get in will be doomed to fail. Mainly, because after a few years of the same teams getting invited every year despite other teams having credible resumes will continue to show just how much of a joke it is. It doesn't matter how many times you change the clothing, it's still just going to be an invitational tournament that half the country won't give two shits about. It needs to be a system that involves, at a minimum, all conference winners.

The number of bowls isn't the issue. Every team could play in a bowl game for all I care, there's no such thing as too much college football. ESPN and the other talking heads have diminished all the bowls that aren't the final four games to the point that they appear meaningless. The NFL may have the Jaguars playing the Bengals, but they still mention them, and build their value rather than tear it down.
I watch as many bowl games as I can. Nothing wrong with more college football. Yesterday during the Duke's Mayo Bowl the announcers constantly talked about the CFP. Last night during the damn Cotton Bowl between plays they were running plays, highlights, and analysis of Clemson and breaking down how they would attack the OSU offense. During the middle of the game. Between plays of the actual game they were broadcasting. This was 10 minutes after the announcers debating and complaining how to make the bowls more meaningful.

ESPN sucks and is as much of the problem as the solution. How about this? Cover the bowl game that you are actually broadcasting at the moment. If ESPN shows such little regard for the bowl game they are broadcasting why should the players care?

Man, grow the **** up. If you don't like more football, don't watch. Don't try to reduce the games that other fans want to watch.

Also, all you dipshits are really fast to throw around "they didn't want to play" for EVERY outcome you don't like. Covid cancellation, etc.

Yeah...start Petras in the Holiday Bowl. Give me a break.
Why not give the QB plenty of run? KF let NS run till the last whistle and no run for the backup. How does this help Iowa going forward? NS was rewarded for the season by playing 99.8% of snaps, Iowa owed him nothing for a bowl game that lets he real didn’t/doesn’t mean shit.

How is it not in Iowa Footballs best interest to play guys they will need MAJOR contributions the next year? What benifit did it provide anyone but coaches bonus to run the starters all year?

Why do the backups (2/3rd team) not need game time in a game that you play to win butWTF is the Holiday bowlin terms of needing to play seniors and draft guys that you need to replace next year??

If someone is gone next year whether draft or graduating you play the backups/guys whom you’d like to see in real game actionAT LEAST HALF the game if not full. You still play to win the game and you build for the future with meaning Snaps and game tape/action.

How did NS playing all the bowl help Iowa’s situation this year? Why did Iowa “owe” him all the reps? Why do the backups whom practice just as much/hard not be rewarded time in a game that doesn’t mean shit?

No one is saying quit/concede. Saying would’ve been nice to get reps for backups on OL,DL, LB, DB, QB last year to springboard off-season and beginning of this year when SP was awful (that was all year pretty much but you get the drift, well maybe you don’t but most should)

Why not give the QB plenty of run? KF let NS run till the last whistle and no run for the backup. How does this help Iowa going forward? NS was rewarded for the season by playing 99.8% of snaps, Iowa owed him nothing for a bowl game that lets he real didn’t/doesn’t mean shit.

How is it not in Iowa Footballs best interest to play guys they will need MAJOR contributions the next year? What benifit did it provide anyone but coaches bonus to run the starters all year?

Why do the backups (2/3rd team) not need game time in a game that you play to win butWTF is the Holiday bowlin terms of needing to play seniors and draft guys that you need to replace next year??

If someone is gone next year whether draft or graduating you play the backups/guys whom you’d like to see in real game actionAT LEAST HALF the game if not full. You still play to win the game and you build for the future with meaning Snaps and game tape/action.

How did NS playing all the bowl help Iowa’s situation this year? Why did Iowa “owe” him all the reps? Why do the backups whom practice just as much/hard not be rewarded time in a game that doesn’t mean shit?

No one is saying quit/concede. Saying would’ve been nice to get reps for backups on OL,DL, LB, DB, QB last year to springboard off-season and beginning of this year when SP was awful (that was all year pretty much but you get the drift, well maybe you don’t but most should)

Blowing out USC on national TV means a lot. Letting guys who dedicated four or five years to the program finish it means a lot. I don't care if it's the CFP championship or the Detroit Bowl. You let the seniors who get a lot of PT finish it. If an underclassmen is your best chance to win at a position then obviously they play.

This whole let the reserves play a bowl for experience is a defeatist mentality.

Unpopular take:

Petras didn't need to play because there was no chance NS would skip the bowl game. I agree with your premise that coaches should start preparing backups if they suspect a starter will pass on the bowl game. In a normal year, there are three weeks of practices to allow players to get ready. In Florida's case, they had less than a week of practices for the QBs and receivers to work together. It was a debacle. As a fan, I would vote for my team to opt out as opposed to seeing them look like a bunch of bumbling fools. I just don't think they have any solid recourse for forcing a player to declare whether he will or won't participate in the bowl game. And yes, the 40+ bowl game system is going away soon.

NS played until nearly the end of the game because KF has learned by swapping players out early, you risk allowing the other team back into the game. See Purdue 2016 for evidence of that. The objecive of EVERY GAME you play is to win. If you play third-teamers against another team's starters, you WILL lose unless you are Alabama playing Kansas.

Reactions: doughuddl2
I’m not buying the players not caring about playing in one of the premier bowl games the cotton bowl, but rather they were decimated by Covid and without 16 players, credit to Florida for even showing up to play unlike the pansies in Missouri and Michigan.

All these bowl games this year should have big ole asterisks next to them in the record books

Two of the three WRs and the TE opted out. Only one WR was COVID positive. As a fan, I would vote for my team opting out as opposed to putting what Florida put on the field last night.

Reactions: littlez
Why do some of you always bring ESPN into this? The bowls have been diminished because they don’t mean anything anymore. Totally agree with the OP. This isn’t a COVID thing either. More and more players are going to keep opting out. ESPN was the one stuck having to air that dog crap game. Bowl system needs totally blown up. 1 preseason game, 9 game conference schedule and 16 team playoff. If D2 can do it there’s no reason we can’t. It would be a blast.

I remember when the 1995 and 1997 Sun Bowls just meant the world. :rolleyes:

NS played until nearly the end of the game because KF has learned by swapping players out early, you risk allowing the other team back into the game. See Purdue 2016 for evidence of that. The objecive of EVERY GAME you play is to win. If you play third-teamers against another team's starters, you WILL lose unless you are Alabama playing Kansas.
Agree to disagree.

Blowing out USC on national TV means a lot. Letting guys who dedicated four or five years to the program finish it means a lot. I don't care if it's the CFP championship or the Detroit Bowl. You let the seniors who get a lot of PT finish it. If an underclassmen is your best chance to win at a position then obviously they play.

This whole let the reserves play a bowl for experience is a defeatist mentality.
NOBODY gives a shit except a few fans here. Didn’t mean shit to recruits. Look we blew out USC in a game few watched or cared about. Only people who watched were Iowa fans as USC fans don’t give a shit about the Holiday bowl lol.

USC fans give a funk less and few if any gave a funk about Iowa or the game.

Still waiting on someone to explain to me how not playing players you’ll need going forward in a bowl game is detrimental to Iowa’s overall Heath and growth as a development program and how game reps shouldn’t be given to players they will need next year.

O sorry the Holiday bowl was how we locked in all those studs in Iowa this year.

Playing backups/players that will be needed to start the next year SHOULD absolutely be Iowa’s intention going forward as it’s in the best interest of IOWA!

NS got his run/time in spades all year, playing in aMEANINGLESS bowl game didn’t do shit for Iowa except have to sit through losing first twogames while SP went through live game situations for the first time.

I’m sure him playing and getting time in bowl game would’ve been terrible for the first couple/all games this year.

But you keep flying the holiday bowl flag. If (who knows) SP got PT in bowl and meaningful reps at all before NW/Purdue maybe we win those games and we playing for it all though.

KF/staff got those nice bonus last year though and NS deserved 99% of meaningful
Snaps and the bowl game because he hadn’t had that the previous year. GTFO here, you wrong and this is why Iowa cannot have nice things.

Someone said above, bowls mean NOTHING almost now if not in playoff or Super 6 (even those don’t mean shit)

If going draft don’t play and prepare for future employment. If Senior and this is the end/no pro future you concede to the guy potentially replacing you to get reps for the BETTERMENT AND FUTURE OF IOWA FOOTBALL.

If you lose the game so be it but you PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

What does Iowa owe thes players that they showcased and get all reps in game the whole season?

I’m waiting for any reason other then.....but but it’s the Music City Bowl and such a great recruiting tool to show some shit trophy in the football hall that you had zero part in.

I would think saying we will play the backups and players that practiced hard and worked hard all year. That is the reward for all the practice put in all year and you get to see how perform with lights on.

That to me sells staying/invested/why you work on in offseason and gives young recruits looking to get on the field to say if I do what I’m supposed to I’ll get a chance early to show what I can do in live game situations.

You keep rocking the Holiday bowl T. You probably the guy who started the does Iowa get the Music City Bowl trophy as well because Iowa was ready to play so they earned it crew

Reactions: littlez
What I dislike most about lower tier bowls is mediocre power 5 teams getting invites. Cut down the number of trash bowls and save the spots in what's left for a deserving non p5 team, like a 10 win MAC school.

At a minimum the entry requirement for a bowl game should be a winning record in conference play.

Just reading some responses and I think that's an interesting discussion, what is the meaning of a bowl game?

The reason I had my opinion in the OP is that I love bowl games and feel like they have become diminished for several reasons: the playoffs, the media attention to the playoffs, the number of bowls, the win requirement, opt outs, etc. Only so many teams get to make the playoffs so if we can do something to save the integrity of bowl season, I would be for it.

I appreciate everyone's responses. Especially those that disagreed and laid out their points without unnecessary language.

I think the rabbit is out of the hat. Going to the Holiday bowl meant a lot to our fans, as it’s a nice vacation to get out of Iowa. The system is broken. Last night was just another example. Florida didn’t want to be there, 7-8 guys were out or opted out and they were totally unprepared. They put everything they had into that Bama game.

NOBODY gives a shit except a few fans here. Didn’t mean shit to recruits. Look we blew out USC in a game few watched or cared about. Only people who watched were Iowa fans as USC fans don’t give a shit about the Holiday bowl lol.

Still waiting on someone to explain to me how not playing players you’ll need going forward in a bowl game is detrimental to Iowa’s overall Heath and growth as a development program and how game reps shouldn’t be given to players they will need next year.

O sorry the Holiday bowl was how we locked in all those studs in Iowa this year.

Playing backups/players that will be needed to start the next year SHOULD absolutely be Iowa’s intention going forward as it’s in the best interest of IOWA!

NS got his run/time in spades all year, playing in aMEANINGLESS bowl game didn’t do shit for Iowa except have to sit through losing first twogames while SP went through live game situations for the first time.

I’m sure him playing and getting time in bowl game would’ve been terrible for the first couple/all games this year.

But you keep flying the holiday bowl flag. If (who knows) SP got PT in bowl and meaningful reps at all before NW/Purdue maybe we win those games and we playing for it all though.

KF/staff got those nice bonus last year though and NS deserved 99% of meaningful
Snaps and the bowl game because he hadn’t had that the previous year. GTFO here, you wrong and this is why Iowa cannot have nice things.

Someone said above, bowls mean NOTHING almost now if not in playoff or Super 6 (even those don’t mean shit)

If going draft don’t play and prepare for future employment. If Senior and this is the end/no pro future you concede to the guy potentially replacing you to get reps for the BETTERMENT AND FUTURE OF IOWA FOOTBALL.

What does Iowa owe thes players that they showcased and get all reps in game the whole season?

I’m waiting for any reason other then.....but but it’s the Music City Bowl and such a great recruiting tool to show some shit trophy in the football hall that you had zero part in.

I would think saying we will play the backups and players that practiced hard and worked hard all year. That is the reward for all the practice put in all year and you get to see how perform with lights on.

That to me sells staying/invested/why you work on in offseason and gives young recruits looking to get on the field to say if I do what I’m supposed to I’ll get a chance early to show what I can do in live game situations.

You keep rocking the Holiday bowl T. You probably the guy who started the does Iowa get the Music City Bowl trophy as well because Iowa was ready to play so they earned it crew

LOL, wearing my Holiday Bowl Champions shirt as I write this response.

Could not agree more. This current 4 team playoff with basically the same three or four teams every year is not good for college football. At least 8 teams would get the conf champs an auto bid. 16 teams and you could give the top four teams a bye the first week as a reward. Either way its time to progress this playoff to something more meaningful unless your name is Alabama, Clemson, OSU, or Oklahoma.....

Reactions: 24 so far

Literally EVERY Iowa fan except you, apparently, cared about Iowa winning that bowl game. And at least one very high-profile USC alumn cared based on his whiny diatribe. Bowl games matter to fans. Without fans, the players don't have a venue. The NFL is in the process of learning that lesson.

I think the rabbit is out of the hat. Going to the Holiday bowl meant a lot to our fans, as it’s a nice vacation to get out of Iowa. The system is broken. Last night was just another example. Florida didn’t want to be there, 7-8 guys were out or opted out and they were totally unprepared. They put everything they had into that Bama game.

Try 25 players out between Covid and guys just not wanting to play. They had 60 scholarship players available and obviously none of them could catch a football.

Oh Greyhair, you are so ridiculous. Please explain your NFL conspiracy theory about the fans. The ratings for these games are terrible and getting worse by the year.

And one other thing you are not considering is that it is impossible to gauge the future of any team due to the transfer portal. What happens this year and more importantly this week is all you can actually control. I suspect if you took a vote of the guys that made the trip to San Diego last year, they would tell you it mattered to them.

Oh Greyhair, you are so ridiculous. Please explain your NFL conspiracy theory about the fans. The ratings for these games are terrible and getting worse by the year.

And NFL ratings are in the shitter this year. Why? What competition have they had? There are between 0-20,000 fans in any stadium during the week. The fans who would normally be in the stadium should conceivably be in front of a TV set yet ratings are down. What gives?

Edit-NFL ratings are down an average of 2 million viewers per week through week 15 of the season. Is that significant enough?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT