ADVERTISEMENT

This isn’t going to end well (NIL and the transfer portal)

Not a word from the ncaa or coaches about this free agency catastrophe obvious to all. Which must mean they won't oppose it. If that is the case I am out. Much better things to do with my time and money than watch the destruction of collegiate athletics. The locker room dynamics are gonna be something to behold soon.

I think it’s going to take a few years for this to shake out, It’s the Wild West right now and some schools may be going in with their guns blazing but in the end you have to see if boosters will continually pony up money if they end up feeling they didn’t get an adequate return on their investment.

I think it’s going to take a few years for this to shake out, It’s the Wild West right now and some schools may be going in with their guns blazing but in the end you have to see if boosters will continually pony up money if they end up feeling they didn’t get an adequate return on their investment.
Its inevitable
Highly paid & sponsored transfers/signees are going to eventually.....
get injured / underperform expectations
embarrass the sponsor and school (arrest, public incident, etc)

Sponsors have expectations. So do paid athletes. Athlete vs. Sponsor (or vice-versa) litigation will ensue.

I agree that there will be a shake-out at the sponsor/booster level..... probably the first time a college athlete with a million dollars in the bank decides he will 'retire" from college ball and sit out the [NCAA BB tourney, the football playoffs, etc] ....or an athlete disagrees with the medical staff and refuses to suit up claiming injury....something lke that..

I see lots of people saying this but that’s like saying we as fans shouldn’t get excited about a 5 star recruit because occasionally a 5 star won’t pan out. I know I still want to sign Proctor even though we saw Blake Larson not pan out as expected. I’m too poor so I’m not a donor but if I had millions I could imagine myself spending on this.

Its inevitable
Highly paid & sponsored transfers/signees are going to eventually.....
get injured / underperform expectations
embarrass the sponsor and school (arrest, public incident, etc)

Sponsors have expectations. So do paid athletes. Athlete vs. Sponsor (or vice-versa) litigation will ensue.

I agree that there will be a shake-out at the sponsor/booster level..... probably the first time a college athlete with a million dollars in the bank decides he will 'retire" from college ball and sit out the [NCAA BB tourney, the football playoffs, etc] ....or an athlete disagrees with the medical staff and refuses to suit up claiming injury....something lke that..
I am waiting for a milion dollar athlete to get benched for some infraction and start raising Hell and suing the coach.

Not a word from the ncaa or coaches about this free agency catastrophe obvious to all. Which must mean they won't oppose it. If that is the case I am out. Much better things to do with my time and money than watch the destruction of collegiate athletics. The locker room dynamics are gonna be something to behold soon.
University Presidents.

Exactly what are university presidents supposed to do now that players have the right to profit off of their names, their images or their likenesses?
Everyone bangs on the NCAA, but their power is derived from the Universities. The Presidents are the ones that need to assemble and figure this out. The NCAA was formed by the schools to "level the playing field" and improve player safety - create a standard set of rules for everyone to live by.

NIL is absolutely new - it's not an "adjustment". It doesn't fit within the parameters given to the NCAA. So, since there are no rules, the NCAA is really powerless to do anything.

The NCAA, like the Police and the IRS, have the power to enforce rules. But they don't get to make up new rules when something big comes along.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I see lots of people saying this but that’s like saying we as fans shouldn’t get excited about a 5 star recruit because occasionally a 5 star won’t pan out. I know I still want to sign Proctor even though we saw Blake Larson not pan out as expected. I’m too poor so I’m not a donor but if I had millions I could imagine myself spending on this.
You would find something more important to spend your money on, believe me, or you would have to be filthy rich ($$$$$$$$).

Just wait until some of these kids use all that money they have to get themselves into legal trouble, and some most certainly will. Wonder how their "sponsors" will react to that.

The NCAA and the presidents have to do something about the transfer portal. If kids are able to transfer without sitting out then any school can buy them a winning team if they have the money, by building a team through free agency. If the players have to sit out a year (or other restrictions), then you'll see less teams going after existing players. Then if a team want's to "buy" a bunch of high school kids, let them. Having a bunch of underclassmen doesn't equal a lot of wins.

Reactions: Ronman and amahawk
Some fans have advocated for players rights for years.
1. NCAA finally relent and let's players earn for NIL.
2 The NCAA eases the transfer rules to give more player freedom.

The result? Chaos.
But of course the NCAA are to blame?

No. They are the scapegoats for everyone but it's actually the "pay the players" crowd that got this ball rolling.
Colleges are not pro franchises.
The revenues from FB and BB must pay for the whole athletic dept with 24 other sports.
College ain't for everyone..if a kid don't like the package don't go.

The USA will probably end up with the Euro system...colleges are for academics and kids go pro at age 14.

Some fans have advocated for players rights for years.
1. NCAA finally relent and let's players earn for NIL.
2 The NCAA eases the transfer rules to give more player freedom.

The result? Chaos.
But of course the NCAA are to blame?

No. They are the scapegoats for everyone but it's actually the "pay the players" crowd that got this ball rolling.
Colleges are not pro franchises.
The revenues from FB and BB must pay for the whole athletic dept with 24 other sports.
College ain't for everyone..if a kid don't like the package don't go.

The USA will probably end up with the Euro system...colleges are for academics and kids go pro at age 14.

Just like they want to defund police, see how that's working. It's called progressive liberalism...great stuff, smh

Exactly what are university presidents supposed to do now that players have the right to profit off of their names, their images or their likenesses?
Maybe university presidents ban together eliminate free tuition, room and board. Then charge these pros for the costs of coaching and the facilities in which they improve their game and showcase their talents. The higher your NIL the more you pay or you could opt for the full ride scholarship.

Just like they want to defund police, see how that's working. It's called progressive liberalism...great stuff, smh
“The NCAA couches its arguments for not paying student athletes in innocuous labels. . . But the labels cannot disguise the reality: The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America. All of the restaurants in a region cannot come together to cut cooks’ wages on the theory that ‘customers prefer’ to eat food from low-paid cooks. Law firms cannot conspire to cabin lawyers’ salaries in the name of providing legal services out of a ‘love of the law.’ Hospitals cannot agree to cap nurses’ income in order to create a ‘purer’ form of helping the sick. News organizations cannot join forces to curtail pay to reporters to preserve a ‘tradition’ of public-minded journalism. Movie studios cannot collude to slash benefits to camera crews to kindle a ‘spirit of amateurism’ in Hollywood.”
"Price-fixing labor is price-fixing labor,” Justice Kavanaugh states. “And price-fixing labor is ordinarily a textbook antitrust problem because it extinguishes the free market in which individuals can otherwise obtain fair compensation for their work. . . . Businesses like the NCAA cannot avoid the consequences of price-fixing labor by incorporating price-fixed labor into the definition of the product.” -Kavanaugh

But sure, let's blame the thing I don't like on the group of people I don't like, even when this was caused by a 9-0 bi-partisan SC decision lol

University Presidents.
Exactly. Where have these folks, and the Chancellors, and Regents been through all of this? Their allowing these companies to solicit these players like street walkers in a red light district. At least there you'd supposedly get something for the $$. As others have questioned are the Feds actually going to allow these insurance mega giants who have their slimy hands in the govt wallet through programs like medicare/medicade too fund this nonsense?

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
“The NCAA couches its arguments for not paying student athletes in innocuous labels. . . But the labels cannot disguise the reality: The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America. All of the restaurants in a region cannot come together to cut cooks’ wages on the theory that ‘customers prefer’ to eat food from low-paid cooks. Law firms cannot conspire to cabin lawyers’ salaries in the name of providing legal services out of a ‘love of the law.’ Hospitals cannot agree to cap nurses’ income in order to create a ‘purer’ form of helping the sick. News organizations cannot join forces to curtail pay to reporters to preserve a ‘tradition’ of public-minded journalism. Movie studios cannot collude to slash benefits to camera crews to kindle a ‘spirit of amateurism’ in Hollywood.”
"Price-fixing labor is price-fixing labor,” Justice Kavanaugh states. “And price-fixing labor is ordinarily a textbook antitrust problem because it extinguishes the free market in which individuals can otherwise obtain fair compensation for their work. . . . Businesses like the NCAA cannot avoid the consequences of price-fixing labor by incorporating price-fixed labor into the definition of the product.” -Kavanaugh

But sure, let's blame the thing I don't like on the group of people I don't like, even when this was caused by a 9-0 bi-partisan SC decision lol
College sports was never intended to be an industry. You are comparing it to professional activities.

The money has gotten out of hand, but instead of the Universities getting together to decide what to do, they just let the wave of sympathy for college kids that don't get paid determine the course of college sports. In other words, thanks to money, college sports will soon be history.

Exactly. Where have these folks, and the Chancellors, and Regents been through all of this? Their allowing these companies to solicit these players like street walkers in a red light district. At least there you'd supposedly get something for the $$. As others have questioned are the Feds actually going to allow these insurance mega giants who have their slimy hands in the govt wallet through programs like medicare/medicade too fund this nonsense?
True dat.

I think your missing the point here. Most people aren't so much concerned with the players getting NIL deals. Its the fact that this was not designed to be a tool to RECRUIT players, it was more their reward for the work they had put in, that their work has nade them "marketable". How can a 17yr old kid have a NIL to sell when he's never played in the arena? Most importantly though is that there seems to be absolutely NO oversight by anyone as to how this is going down. The players are supposed to be providing something to these companies, be it commercials, spokesmanship, something. WHO is monitering any of this? How much of this will be your tax dollars at work with these insurance companies involved in govt programs? Who's going to make sure that the already out of control health care costs don't get even worse because Joe QB at Bama wants a new Escalade? Whats going on right now seems to be just a blatantly open form of the bag man days that went on previously under the table. You know, what SMU got the death penalty for?

Last edited:
College sports was never intended to be an industry. You are comparing it to professional activities.

The money has gotten out of hand, but instead of the Universities getting together to decide what to do, they just let the wave of sympathy for college kids that don't get paid determine the course of college sports. In other words, thanks to money, college sports will soon be history.
I think your missing the point here. Most people aren't so much concerned with the players getting NIL deals. Its the fact that this was not designed to be a tool to RECRUIT players, it was more their reward for the work they had put in. How can a 17yr old kid have a NIL to sell when he's never played in the arena? Most importantly though is that there seems to be absolutely NO oversight by anyone as to how this is going down. The players are supposed to be providing something to these companies, be it commercials, spokesmanship, something. WHO is monitering any of this? How much of this will be your tax dollars at work with these insurance companies involved in govt programs? Who's going to make sure that the already out of control health care costs don't get even worse because Joe QB at Bama wants a new Escalade? Whats going on right now seems to be just a blatantly open form of the bag man days that went on previously under the table. You know, what SMU got the death penalty for?
You guys both realize all I did was copy and paste Kavanaugh's opinion from the Supreme Court ruling, correct? I didn't state an opinion at all on NIL other than people shouldn't blame one political party for this.

You guys both realize all I did was copy and paste Kavanaugh's opinion from the Supreme Court ruling, correct? I didn't state an opinion at all on NIL other than people shouldn't blame one political party for this.
Who's blaming one political party? My issue is with the NCAA and even more so with the Universities themselves who have allowed this shit to happen and have relinquished pretty much ALL control over whats going on right under their damn noses, and in their own houses.....Nobody is saying these players can't see some financial gain, BUT SOMEONE has to establish some guidelines here, and as usual the silence is deafening....

Reactions: Ronman

It’s been trending this way for almost 40 years. It’s ok for coaches to make millions off the backs of college kids but not for them to get their own?

ADVERTISEMENT