ADVERTISEMENT

This just in: Hoyer will not seek top job in House Democratic leadership

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) will not seek the top job in House Democratic leadership in the next Congress, saying that he will support the next generation.
In a letter to House Democrats, Hoyer said he believes it is time for him to continue his service “in a different role.” While he will remain in Congress and return to the Appropriations Committee as a member, he will not seek elected leadership.
Asked why he decided to step back, Hoyer told reporters: “You might not have heard, [but] I’m 83.”
“I think it’s always good for a party to have new blood and new invigoration, enthusiasm and new ideas,” he said.
Hoyer also quoted Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who earlier Thursday said there’s a “time and a season” for everything.
“I think it’s time and a season,” Hoyer said.
Hoyer, who has been in Congress for over 40 years, endorsed Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) as the next House Democratic leader, saying that is “a role in which he will make history for the institution of the House and for our country.”
“He is a skilled and capable leader who will help us win back the majority in 2024 as we strive to continue delivering on our promises to the American people,” Hoyer said. “I look forward to serving as a resource to him.”
Hoyer said he plans on continuing his focus on education, health care and American manufacturing, as well as on voting, civil and human rights.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
ADVERTISEMENT