ADVERTISEMENT

This Kris Murray thing is starting to color my thinking about Fran...

Anyone that advocates playing Ogundele any minutes, doesn't understand basketball, PERIOD!
He's a fish out of water and is basically just a body with very little basketball skills. But, if the "BIG O" nickname is tripping your trigger have at it....
It go's well with playing Bohannan 30+ minutes a game, Connor getting starters minutes instead of an actual starter in Joe Toussaint, not starting Kris Murray, and not playing Payton Sandfort, Tony Perkins, and Ahron Ulis more minutes.
It all leads to a dysfunctional season as it's playing out.

Yet Patrick played 37 minutes. Please don't pipe in "he scored 16 points". Have you ever watched some of the shot selection, flat footed rebounds, and basically standing around on defense. I've watched him several games where he does not even turn his head to locate the ball. They gave up 2 career highs to PSU. PSU is not a good team.
Then fire everyone......

Ummm I am not sure what prompted this response. I very simply pointed out that in the first half it wasn’t working for Keegan and it did for Connor. No shots were directed at anyone and no aspersions were cast. If you honestly look at the game Keegan and Connor played against their tendencies in the first half. Pretty much a statement of fact rather than warranting a response.

I should have been more clear as I was agreeing with your statement.

In regards to the Kris starting question. It appears Fran may be borrowing from the KF stubbornness bank. The difference is Fran hasn’t made enough deposits to cover the withdrawals he continues to make.

You're much more patient than me. I first had questions in 2013-2014 when Roy Marble Jr was the best player for the Hawks. The 1/2 court offense was to pass it around and let Roy Jr try to score one on one when the shot clock got down to 5......the names have changed, but the results remain the same. If they don't score early in the possession, a 1/2 way serviceable defense will force them into a 1-on-1 situation w/ our best player...
I disagree. PMac is not our best player. 😉

Actually, I like our starting lineup. It's hard to argue moving JBo to the point and starting Perkins has proven to work. Yet, we have plenty of those that bitch about Joe T's time. I love Joe but he is out of control plenty. We have a deep bench and Kris is getting almost starting minutes. Kris also fouls enough to limit his minutes on quite a few nights. The real problem is we don't have a solid #5 player and Kris is forced to play out of position as is Rebraca. Kris brings instant energy but also makes plenty of his own mistakes. His ceiling is certainly high and I hope he proves that next year by staying and playing another year. He's not ready for the NBA. Keegan is!

Reactions: Wadukester
I didn’t like the switch but I’m just a fan. What’s important is that the team settled in took responsibility for their roles on the team and it sure seems as if they have worked harder in those roles to be a better team. Sure this team has some flaws but they have been making up for them by each player giving their best effort and it’s been fun to watch. How Fran got everyone to buy in I just don’t understand but I’m grateful they have. It’s been a real team effort. I hope it continues and dare I ask get even better the rest of the season.

Everyone has bought in to their roles on the team. It’s true, you don’t understand basketball.

What is interesting about the OP starting this thread in January is that he was not necessarily wrong at the time. However, what has made this team what it is now is the ability of the players to check their egos at the door and understand their role. Yes, there are times that JBo is struggling with foot speed in a certain game. And guess what?......Fran sits him for long stretches. Then, there are other times like vs Indiana that he plays a major role at the end of the game. Connor plays way less now, and he accepts that. Perkins has been awesome and has taken a number of their minutes. They understand that........the fact that they understand their role and that Keegan is the king is what is going to give them a chance to make a deep run in the NCAA tourney. They have all bought in........Go Hawks

Reactions: Hawksfinal4
I am surprised I didn’t leave a similar disparaging comment. I was down and out in December praying for change and improvement but almost hopeless…. Now we are big ten champs less than 2 months later. Just goes to show you should never abandon or lose faith in something you care about. All of us make mistakes, thank goodness we are all lucky enough to witness what our guys accomplished last weekend.

Reactions: 1911_Bandit
Well you were right when you said you were no expert and Fran knew more about basketball than you did. He understands what it takes to have players come in and dominate later in a game and just how good and long Patrick is to rebound and defend. We finally have a coach that understands player rotation and we still have fans that can't stand the fact that we have won a big ten championship doing it. I will never understand Iowa fans if I live to be 150 years old.

He’s paid to win games, not make his sons happy. PMac is probably Summit League material, and Connor probably should just stick to baseball. He’s laughably inept on the court.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Criticism is always fair on a message board. What annoys me is the over the top hyperbole about how bad something is - posters racing to the keyboard to say something worse than the last guy.

Now, it appears, that the worm has turned and posters are racing to the keyboard to says something even more complimentary than the last guy did.

It's gonna be ugly again as soon as the Hawks lose I'm afraid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT