ADVERTISEMENT

This may have far reaching implications regarding high school athletic eligibility. Will be interesting if it's appealed.

In a footnote, Smith wrote he found it “curious why competitive high school sports have become such an elevated extracurricular activity.”

“Had John wanted to participate in art club, marching band, mock trial, debate club, or service club during his ninth and tenth semesters, it is highly doubtful that there would be a challenge to his participation,”

Hard to argue with that logic.

In a footnote, Smith wrote he found it “curious why competitive high school sports have become such an elevated extracurricular activity.”

“Had John wanted to participate in art club, marching band, mock trial, debate club, or service club during his ninth and tenth semesters, it is highly doubtful that there would be a challenge to his participation,”

Hard to argue with that logic.

IMO the logic fails because of the physicality of sports vs. chess club. It’s kind of like the rule that you can’t play in the NFL until you’re three years out of high school - but in reverse. In the NFL, you don’t want “kids” getting obliterated by grown men that have been training for one thing for 15 years. In high school sports, you don’t want a 20 year nearly adult “senior” steam rolling a 15 year old still developing sophomore.

The judge should be disbarred on this logic alone:

John Doe is like Rudy,” Smith wrote. “He may not be a future Heisman Trophy recipient, but, even so, he deserves his moment to play competitively with his team as a senior.”

In what universe was that Irish turd a Heisman Trophy recipient? Also: Rudy was offsides.

John Doe is like Rudy,” Smith wrote. “He may not be a future Heisman Trophy recipient, but, even so, he deserves his moment to play competitively with his team as a senior.”

In what universe was that Irish turd a Heisman Trophy recipient? Also: Rudy was offsides.

Yeah, that comment made me throw up a little. Phuck the fainting Irish!

IMO the logic fails because of the physicality of sports vs. chess club. It’s kind of like the rule that you can’t play in the NFL until you’re three years out of high school - but in reverse. In the NFL, you don’t want “kids” getting obliterated by grown men that have been training for one thing for 15 years. In high school sports, you don’t want a 20 year nearly adult “senior” steam rolling a 15 year old still developing sophomore.
Is there really that much of a difference between "a 20 year nearly adult “senior” steam rolling a 15 year old still developing sophomore" and a 19 year nearly adult “senior” steam rolling a 15 year old still developing sophomore?

And if that's the issue, the restriction should be based on physical traits rather than age. There are 15-year-old sophomores who can steamroll much older teens.

Ummm...he specifically said that, like Rudy, John Doe may NOT be a future Heisman Trophy recipient.

Is there really that much of a difference between "a 20 year nearly adult “senior” steam rolling a 15 year old still developing sophomore" and a 19 year nearly adult “senior” steam rolling a 15 year old still developing sophomore?

And if that's the issue, the restriction should be based on physical traits rather than age. There are 15-year-old sophomores who can steamroll much older teens.

That would be tough to do. What would you use, BMI? Eye test? Bench max?

I’m not saying it’s a perfect answer or applies to everyone, but in general the older you get (and yes, even one more year makes a difference) the bigger and stronger you get. Using the outliers to argue that would put more kids in physical harm’s way IMHO.

That would be tough to do. What would you use, BMI? Eye test? Bench max?

I’m not saying it’s a perfect answer or applies to everyone, but in general the older you get the bigger and stronger you get. Using the outliers to argue that would put more kids in physical harm’s way IMHO.
The criteria would have to be determined by the governing bodies IF the point is to protect players. You can't claim that's the point and let much bigger, stronger students play against smaller, weaker ones...regardless of age.
Had I dealt with the same issues as John Doe, I would have been 18 for the fall football season of my senior year - turning 19 in December. Why would I be excluded from playing when other 18-year-olds were allowed?

The criteria would have to be determined by the governing bodies IF the point is to protect players. You can't claim that's the point and let much bigger, stronger students play against smaller, weaker ones...regardless of age.
Had I dealt with the same issues as John Doe, I would have been 18 for the fall football season of my senior year - turning 19 in December. Why would I be excluded from playing when other 18-year-olds were allowed?

I don’t really have enough passion to argue this out one out so my 2 cents are on the table. I just think there has to be some limit on it and wouldn’t want a kid who’s flunked a couple years and at 20/21 playing HS ball. I’d prefer the “governing bodies” figure it out vs. a federal judge. I’ll let someone else that gives more of a shit take it from here.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
I don’t really have enough passion to argue this out one out so my 2 cents are on the table. I just think there has to be some limit on it and wouldn’t want a kid who’s flunked a couple years and at 20/21 playing HS ball. I’d prefer the “governing bodies” figure it out vs. a federal judge. I’ll let someone else that gives more of a shit take it from here.
I'm not sure I'd want a 21-year-old in a service club with 15-year-olds, either. 😕

I see both points here but I'm leaning towards the rule is 8 semesters and it should stay at 8. If sports helps him with his disabilities then he could go play intramurals or sign up for 18+ leagues through the Y or city leagues. There are a ton of options to keep playing sports whether your -18 or 18+.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT