ADVERTISEMENT

This may surprise you, but the vitriol after losing to #13 Wisconsin on the road is surprising to me

Lost to the #9, 14, and 15 teams by a total of 14 points and everyone thinks the world is coming to an end.

Saying that type of stuff totally dismisses all of the points people are giving you as to why they're upset with those losses. **** this attitude of "welp, lost to higher ranked teams so it's ok". No, we should not accept that. Especially after what we're seeing on the field and the lack of good coaching.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Lost to the #9, 14, and 15 teams by a total of 14 points and everyone thinks the world is coming to an end.

If we lose by one point to #7 Minnesota and its a total of 15 points of losses to 4 ranked teams, two things come to mind: Close!, but no cigar. Stats are for losers.

It would be very telling if it was true.

I think it was only big ten teams. Which makes sense, Iowa generally loses to 3 of their 6 big ten west opponents. The interesting thing this year is Illinois and Minnesota may no longer be stat fluffers for the “average points per game” crowd. Better hang 70 on Nebraska, which they certainly could.

I’m still in shock at the 4, maybe 5 first round picks on the 2018 depth chart. The weakest Wisconsin team we may see in a decade, a down Penn state team, very cushy schedule. Woof. How long had Greg Davis been OC when 2015 happened?

Reactions: Eternal Return
I assume you were mad that Kirk hired Phil Parker with no Division 1 experience as a DC.

Nope, cause he coached and learned from Norm Parker for 15 years as Norm groomed him to take over the D.

Are you defending hiring Brian because he was the tight end coach for the Patriots with the two best tight ends in the league prior to him taking over as that position coach w/ what, a year or two working with Greg Davis before being gifted the OC position?

Iowa football with KF has turned into Penn State football with JoPa as they both think they were and are bigger than the program. Do what’s in the best interest of the program, not treat it like it’s your family.

The last thing we need is another contentious thread pitting fan against fan, so let me try to spit some sense. Try.

The single least surprising event of the season, by far, is that Wisconsin ran it down our throats and got pressure on our QB. The end result wasn't exactly determined by those two factors ahead of time, but it's the same refrain for going on a decade. We still have poor interior line play at least in pass protection. It's been true all year. We still have no interior linebacker hammer. Our tackling is to latch on and ride. That works against small teams but not big, physical teams. It's been true all year. I believe Campbell will be the guy, but can you think of a more uphill situation for a true frosh? He didn't even get all of the preseason with an injury. We look small compared with them every year, and by technique we probably overcome that a lot. But, not when in a phone booth like with 3 minutes left. They have one of the poorest QBs we've played, and the lineplay and power backs they have made it moot. This is not new. I'm not sure why people are so all-the-sudden upset.

We're still 6-3 and ranked in the top 25 (somehow). If we get our heads out of our asses and punch Minnesota in the mouth, we SHOULD finish 9-3 with a chance for 10 wins. That's a good season no matter where you are outside of Tuscaloosa and Clemson.

I'm certainly frustrated, too, but calling for people's heads at this time isn't very useful. I have many things to say about the play and coaching, but it simply isn't going to help. They need to refocus as the staff has proven capable in the past and hope we get it right again.

A few "bonus thoughts":
1) Let the Brian Ferentz as future head coach issue drop. His offense's performance to date against good teams would make that decision an embarrassing scar on Kirk's legacy that no one at the AD could possibly stomach. Let it go till after the season. But, we can't hold his last name against him IF HE does deserve it someday.
2). A mere 5-6 weeks ago the board was thrilled (THRILLED!) with BF's offensive adjustments. We've simply run into teams with better lineplay.
3). The single most maddening post on this board is any attack on Stanley. I will be the first to say he hasn't been great, but have you seen games live?... watching the whole field? 3 possible results are happening when we pass: 1) no one is open. I mean no one. 2) AND/OR he has no time. None. Or, 3) he's making a solid effort/play. We've simply run into teams with better lineplay.

Again, main point: try to find some balance. We're neither great nor awful. We're where we should be from 2 weeks ago as much as that sucks. We actually played really well in a few areas we hadn't before the Wisconsin game. We need a Herculean crowd effort and continued growth v. Minnesota.

Good post. I think part of the concern is that other teams in the B10 West are starting to improve their programs while Iowa is stuck in neutral. It didn't help watching Minnesota play brilliantly against Penn State right before the Hawks played UW. I don't see Minnesota falling back to the pack after this year; I see them surging ahead. Purdue is going to be much improved next season unless they are decimated by injuries again. Again, it's not that Iowa lost, but as others have said, how they lost. They didn't play to win until late in the third quarter. Before that the offense was pedestrian and the players looked befuddled rather than geared up to kick ass. I don't know what's going on, but Iowa's offense rarely looks hungry to kick some ass. Where's the passion on the offense? Why does it take until the 4th quarter for them to play like they want to win? That's a big part of the problem in terms of fans being dismayed.

By late week, people will be fired up again. Knocking off an undefeated Minnesota team will make a lot of people feel better. But if they lay down from the start again this week and play like they want the game to be over the moment it starts, people are going to scream even louder. God forbid Minny puts a beatdown on Iowa this Saturday. That team looks HUNGRY!

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Saying that type of stuff totally dismisses all of the points people are giving you as to why they're upset with those losses. **** this attitude of "welp, lost to higher ranked teams so it's ok". No, we should not accept that. Especially after what we're seeing on the field and the lack of good coaching.
All I'm saying is we're playing good football if we're playing those teams that close and looking like shit doing it. If that makes sense at all.

All I'm saying is we're playing good football if we're playing those teams that close and looking like shit doing it. If that makes sense at all.

Sure. And I would consider that a "moral victory". If we're always playing them close but never winning, what's the point if we lose by 1 or lose by 100? I want to be winning at least some of those games, and Stanley being 12-12 in the B1G (winning most of the easy matches) isn't going to cut it.

The philosophy of playing not to lose is getting real old. Might be fair on defense but no playmakers on offense and no playmakers in the offensive coaching staff. Heck, at least Fry wouldn't mind getting an opponent down and then stomping on their throat. Ferentz is behind and taking a knee before halftime AGAIN.

I think that there are plenty of play makers on offense. There are lots of teams that win with way less talent than the Hawkeye"s have. Like you've pointed out, play to win on the last series when the game could have been out of reach of the opponent, long before the last series. The Hawkeyes have the receiving core they've had in years, they need to start with them and come back to the run, not being so predictable on establishing the run first. If there is a 50/50 split between run and pass, establish the pass first, the run first option doesn't seem to be working, reverse it and see if there is success, stay with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT