ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

Well done!

GLeWE9oXsAIEeiu

• Angry
Reactions: Torg and h-hawk

Ukraine war briefing: Donald Trump says survival of Ukraine important to the US​

Former president’s comments are being described as a shift in tone days before Republicans vote on a multibillion-dollar aid package.

• Donald Trump has said the survival of Ukraine is important to the US, in what Reuters describes as a shift in tone days before Republicans are due to vote on a $61bn aid package in the US House of Representatives. “As everyone agrees, Ukrainian Survival and Strength should be much more important to Europe than to us, but it is also important to us! GET MOVING EUROPE!” Trump said on his social media platform Truth Social Thursday.
  • The former president did not endorse the aid package directly, but instead dedicated most of his post to America’s European allies not spending enough to support Ukraine. The post is arguably one of Trump’s first acknowledgments that Ukraine’s survival is an important US security interest, according to Reuters. Some hard-right Republicans nevertheless interpreted the post as a signal that he opposes the current aid package, though Trump did not say that explicitly.
  • Ukrainian prime minister Denys Shmyhal welcomed progress on the $61bn aid package on Thursday, saying that US officials assured him Kyiv could expect to get new weapons in weeks once the aid is approved, as per Reuters. Shmyhal has warned of the possibility of a third world war if Ukraine loses to Russia.
  • Two German-Russian nationals have been arrested in southern Germany on suspicion of plotting sabotage attacks, including on US military facilities, in what officials called a serious effort to undermine military support for Ukraine. The men, named as Dieter S and Alexander J, are suspected of operating as Russian spies on behalf of the Kremlin, according to German media sources.
  • Separately, a Polish man has been arrested on allegations that he aided a plot by Russian intelligence services to assassinate the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, according to Polish and Ukrainian prosecutors. The man, identified only as Pawel K, has been accused of being prepared to pass airport security information to Russian agents and was arrested in Poland on Wednesday, the office of Poland’s national prosecutor revealed in a statement.
  • The Ukrainian foreign minister Dmytro Kuleba has thanked Germany for agreeing to supply Ukraine with another Patriot air defence system, saying he would appeal to other countries at the G7 meeting this week for more weapons. So far, the G7 ministers meeting on the island of Capri have acknowledged the need to get more air defence systems to Ukraine, as per Reuters. Ministers reportedly applauded Kuleba as he joined them on the second day of their three-day gathering.
  • Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy said the west should do more to help defend Ukraine’s skies from Russia after an attack on the northern city of Chernihiv. “This would not have happened if Ukraine had received sufficient air defence equipment and if the world’s determination to resist Russian terror had been sufficient,” he said in a social media post on X.
  • The Ukrainian foreign minister Dmytro Kuleba echoed Zelenskiy’s comments in a separate post on social media and suggested that Ukraine should enjoy the same cover from aerial attacks as Israel. “In the Middle East, we saw what reliable protection of human lives from missiles looks like,” he added, referring to Iran’s drone and missile barrage on Israel that was intercepted by western and Israeli forces.
  • At least 17 people were killed and 61 were injured on Wednesday after three Russian missiles slammed into a downtown area of Chernihiv, hitting an eight-floor apartment building. Two children were among the 61 people injured, the emergency services said in its latest toll of casualties.
  • The US ambassador to Russia visited jailed American reporter Evan Gershkovich on Thursday, saying he is in “good spirits”, AFP reported. Gershkovich, 32, has been in Moscow’s notorious Lefortovo prison for more than a year after he was arrested during a reporting trip in the Urals and accused of spying – charges he, his employer and the US government deny.
  • Russia banned entry to hundreds of Australian citizens, the Russian foreign ministry said on Wednesday. It said Moscow will indefinitely close entry to 235 municipal councillors for what it called an “anti-Russian agenda”.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you move on, I wanted to ask if you would consider supporting the Guardian’s journalism as we enter one of the most consequential news cycles of our lifetimes in 2024.
With the potential of another Trump presidency looming, there are countless angles to cover around this year’s election – and we'll be there to shed light on each new development, with explainers, key takeaways and analysis of what it means for America, democracy and the world.
From Elon Musk to the Murdochs, a small number of billionaire owners have a powerful hold on so much of the information that reaches the public about what’s happening in the world. The Guardian is different. We have no billionaire owner or shareholders to consider. Our journalism is produced to serve the public interest – not profit motives.
And we avoid the trap that befalls much US media: the tendency, born of a desire to please all sides, to engage in false equivalence in the name of neutrality. We always strive to be fair. But sometimes that means calling out the lies of powerful people and institutions – and making clear how misinformation and demagoguery can damage democracy.
From threats to election integrity, to the spiraling climate crisis, to complex foreign conflicts, our journalists contextualize, investigate and illuminate the critical stories of our time. As a global news organization with a robust US reporting staff, we’re able to provide a fresh, outsider perspective – one so often missing in the American media bubble.
Around the world, readers can access the Guardian’s paywall-free journalism because of our unique reader-supported model. That’s because of people like you. Our readers keep us independent, beholden to no outside influence and accessible to everyone – whether they can afford to pay for news, or not.

Would have been nice if the Donald would have said this months ago....at least it looks like aid is finally going to go through. Kind of takes the wind out of MTG and Massey's sails.

Well, unless you are shivering in the dark in Ukraine mourning the loss of a loved one. I won't hand out kudos to Crenshaw, either. He's pandered to the cult and peddled misinformation when it suits him. He isn't a profile in courage.
Didn't say he was.

Just like the abortion issue
Trump knows both issues are losers for him and he will finally “pretend” to agree with the more popular side to try to gain votes
Everything is transactional with him. People and issues are only important until they aren't important or useful to him anymore. I can see a future where if he's elected again and things slide right for Ukraine he'll go to Kyiv and raise hands in victory with Zelensky, claiming he was their biggest supporter all along.

Putting some whining together.

"One civilian was killed and another was injured when Ukrainian Armed Forces opened fire on villages in the Kherson region"

I wish we would have been more steady and generous in our support, but if the bill passes and Ukraine is flooded with new weapons, will having a near death experience motivate them to make better use of - and be better stewards of - weapons received? I am not saying they made bad use of them or were bad stewards, but there is always room for improvement. Hopefully it passes and this gets them over the hump so they can end this war.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOHOX69 and Torg
I wish we would have been more steady and generous in our support, but if the bill passes and Ukraine is flooded with new weapons, will having a near death experience motivate them to make better use of - and better stewards of - weapons received? I am not saying they made bad use of them or were bad stewards, but there is always room for improvement. Hopefully it passes and this gets them over the hump so they can end this war.
I think it will depend on how many long range weapons, if any they get, and if they can get the numbers of the types of munitions they have to expend in huge quantities.
One thing that bothers me is that the delay in the US should not have had that much of an effect on other countries supplying thousands of the types of munitions that Ukraine desperately needs. So I am worried that if we and our allies cannot pick up the pace , and if we and the West don't give them more long range weapons to really hurt Russia, the money won't have that much of an effect.
I am curious too what the changes in command will have on their efforts. Always worry about the new guy being worse than the replaced guy.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I think it will depend on how many long range weapons, if any they get, and if they can get the numbers of the types of munitions they have to expend in huge quantities.
One thing that bothers me is that the delay in the US should not have had that much of an effect on other countries supplying thousands of the types of munitions that Ukraine desperately needs. So I am worried that if we and our allies cannot pick up the pace , and if we and the West don't give them more long range weapons to really hurt Russia, the money won't have that much of an effect.
I am curious too what the changes in command will have on their efforts. Always worry about the new guy being worse than the replaced guy.
Ideally, Ukraine has sufficiently progressed in developing and producing its own long range weapons, because I do not see what has changed politically for us to give those to them. They could refocus efforts there with the medium and short range weapons bolstered. We will see.

Reactions: h-hawk
"A Ukrainian kamikaze drone is said to have struck a Russian 'Container' type 29B6 radar station in Mordovia. This radar, capable of detecting aerial targets up to 3,000 km away, was the target of this attack. #Ukraine #Russie #Militaire"

Guess this is the difference between the US military and NATO nations.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT