ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

Russia might be running low on some kinds of ammunition. If true this is another reason I am not so concerned about all of the noise coming from Belarus. They wouldn't be giving up ammunition if they thought they might need it.
Still, US & Europe should send Lukashenko a little warning: quit re-arming Russia.

Throw a shot across the bow for him so he pees himself a little.

Why?

That area holds little tactical significance; and they've burned 90% of their "planned" invasion forces to take it. Ukraine takes the south and blocks off Crimea and Putin is toast.
Why?

Because it’s a major industrial area of significance and will be tough to take back since the bridges are blown?

The Ukrainians obviously wanted to keep or they wouldn’t have fought so hard for it

Russia brings in the big man....

2_PROD-Fat-Russian-General.jpg

Seems significant….

ISW has a different opinion

"As ISW has previously assessed, however, the loss of Severodonetsk and Lysychansk will not represent a major turning point in the war.[7] Ukrainian troops have succeeded for weeks in drawing substantial quantities of Russian personnel, weapons, and equipment into the area and have likely degraded Russian forces' overall capabilities while preventing Russian forces from focusing on more advantageous axes of advance. Russian offensive operations will likely stall in the coming weeks, whether or not Russian forces capture the Severodonetsk-Lysychansk area, likely granting Ukrainian forces the opportunity to launch prudent counteroffensives. The Kremlin’s ideological fixation on the capture of Severodonetsk, much like the earlier siege of Azovstal, will likely be to the ultimate detriment of Russian capabilities in future advances in Ukraine. The loss of Severodonetsk is a loss for Ukraine in the sense that any terrain captured by Russian forces is a loss—but the battle of Severodonetsk will not be a decisive Russian victory."

ISW has a different opinion

"As ISW has previously assessed, however, the loss of Severodonetsk and Lysychansk will not represent a major turning point in the war.[7] Ukrainian troops have succeeded for weeks in drawing substantial quantities of Russian personnel, weapons, and equipment into the area and have likely degraded Russian forces' overall capabilities while preventing Russian forces from focusing on more advantageous axes of advance. Russian offensive operations will likely stall in the coming weeks, whether or not Russian forces capture the Severodonetsk-Lysychansk area, likely granting Ukrainian forces the opportunity to launch prudent counteroffensives. The Kremlin’s ideological fixation on the capture of Severodonetsk, much like the earlier siege of Azovstal, will likely be to the ultimate detriment of Russian capabilities in future advances in Ukraine. The loss of Severodonetsk is a loss for Ukraine in the sense that any terrain captured by Russian forces is a loss—but the battle of Severodonetsk will not be a decisive Russian victory."
I hope they’re right

Russia is running out of "stuff" and men. Conscripts aren't enthused about getting thrown into that mess.
Which doesn’t really correlate with this going on for “years”.

If true we’d expect to see some pretty radical shifts the Ukrainians way in the coming months.

I hope that’s the case. I’m pessimistic on that front

Which doesn’t really correlate with this going on for “years”.

If true we’d expect to see some pretty radical shifts the Ukrainians way in the coming months.

I hope that’s the case. I’m pessimistic on that front
Ukraine thinks they will be able to really rock and roll by the end of August. My guess is that they expect a lot more units to be up and running (and armed ) by then. Of course I hope they are right.

I still think the West must supply a lot more anti missile defense as Ukraine gets hammered every single day.

"Video of a rocket hitting a dam in Cherkassy. The railroad track is damaged. "
Amazing video. I don't know how I would actually react in a situation like that, but I have to assume that I would be elbows and knees high in a full sprint until I was out of the picture. I have no idea why that one dude stopped running when he rounded that building.

Reactions: h-hawk
I will repeat something I have posted a few times throughout this thread about Russian missile strikes. Though they seem consequential, they are uncoordinated, and not striking important targets. It is horrible, and par for the course for the Russians to blow up apartment buildings, but they are playing for the TV cameras and for sentiment. Militarily they do not seem to be accomplishing much with these missile attacks.

It is nice to see calm, competent leadership again out of the WH. Biden isn't going wobbly, and for all of his enormous flaws, neither is Boris Johnson. The UK is standing tall in this. Poland, Romania, the Czechs, and the Baltics are holding firm. The Greeks are doing good work with logistics. Lots of nations understand that Putin will not stop with Ukraine. He might pause for a few years, but he won't stop there. It is up to Biden to keep the French and the Germans from pushing for a quick settlement.

Russia brings in the big man....

2_PROD-Fat-Russian-General.jpg

That is roughly 72gallons of vodka per year!

I feel the need to do the math on how many gallons I have purchased in my life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT