ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

FTOPP3EWIAE7sX4

LMAO at upside-down SIZVN
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

So....as soon as Hispanics make up a majority anywhere in America, we're handing those territories and cities over to Mexico?
Um no. Crimea was part of Russia since the time of the Tsar's, 1783 to 1917 and then part of the USSR , thus it's mostly Russians that live there. The mostly arbitraury lines occurred in the mess that was the breakup of the USSR.

And more from Geneva.
"Several explosions at Geneva airport at the end of the day."

Reactions: HawkMD
And Arizona, California, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Nevada, and Utah
used to be part of "Mexico".

Nobody alive got the rug pulled on their original country. Maybe we should hold a vote to see how many of the current residents want to re-unite with Mexico. How do you think that would go?

Last edited:
You might be right about the international law. I was referring to the actual vote might have been legitimate, meaning the vote count, because the people there identify as Russians, mostly. I'm not sure there is a precedent, exactly. Imagine, millions of people were told one day they are no longer part of the country they grew up in, and then years later were given a vote to rejoin.
This is dumb. The Crimean "referendum" allowed Russian naval and army troops stationed in Sevastopol to vote, and gave two options: Join Russia or Independence from Ukraine.

Also, 56% of Crimeans voted for independence from Russia in 1992, along with 86% of the Donbas.

This is dumb. The Crimean "referendum" allowed Russian naval and army troops stationed in Sevastopol to vote, and gave two options: Join Russia or Independence from Ukraine.

Also, 56% of Crimeans voted for independence from Russia in 1992, along with 86% of the Donbas.
Okay. The breakup of the USSR was a mess and there are a lot of nuances. It's still was and continues to be mostly Russians that live in the Donbas and Crimea.

How about let's propose to hold a vote of residents administered by the UN. If Putin agrees to the vote the war is over (Russia still has to pay to rebuild Ukraine and other penalties). If he doesn't agree it means you are likely right and we can continue down the path of escalation and MAD.

Okay. The breakup of the USSR was a mess and there are a lot of nuances. It's still was and continues to be mostly Russians that live in the Donbas and Crimea.

How about let's propose to hold a vote of residents administered by the UN. If Putin agrees to the vote the war is over (Russia still has to pay to rebuild Ukraine and other penalties). If he doesn't agree it means you are likely right and we can continue down the path of escalation and MAD.
Dude you are looking at this upside down. There was no campaign or movement amongst any of the people there to join Russia until Putin had his FSB organize it and send in Russian troops and nationals pretending to be from there to start one.

This is a case of one country repeatedly invading and seizing territory from another country to add to itself. When, exactly, was the last time that happened? That a country attempted to overrun another and add it to its empire? The last one I can think of was Iraq invading Kuwait in 1990. I don't think that's something the rest of the world should be okay with.

You might be right about the international law. I was referring to the actual vote might have been legitimate
Or, it might have been taken "under duress" and those voting against "fell out a window" shortly afterwards.

Reactions: Torg
Behind the scenes this type of thinking will just increase as the war drags on because of this….

Since supporting Ukraine is so popular in those countries Ukraine will have time to continue the war but it isn’t unlimited.

Linking inflation and possible recession to the war I think we’ll see support by the general public in those countries start to go down.

Better hope the Ukrainian military makes some serious gains this summer. Has to be a light at the end of the tunnel…

The Germans didn’t think the Russians could sustain the losses they were taking.

I tend to agree with you though…something has to break with them if that rate continues
Different with millions of dudes with rifles versus fielding and maintaining weapons systems. They will run out of competitive weapons systems while Ukraine gets more and more, with our MIC ramping up.

• Russian sources may be overstating the number of Ukrainian defenders who have been evacuated from Azovstal to either maximize the number of Russian prisoners of war who may be exchanged for Ukrainian soldiers or to avoid the embarrassment of admitting they have been locked into a months-long siege against only “hundreds” of Ukrainian soldiers.

Reactions: win4jj and h-hawk
The Germans didn’t think the Russians could sustain the losses they were taking.

I tend to agree with you though…something has to break with them if that rate continues

From an article I linked many pages ago:

“It’s also worth recognising that the Russian men who fell fighting the Germans in the Forties were from families of six or seven siblings; those who fell fighting the Afghans in the Eighties were from families of two or three. Those falling now, fighting in Ukraine, are likely to be only-children or one of two siblings. The preparedness of a society to sustain military losses falls as family size falls; the only conflicts in today’s world that go on and on for years — from Libya to Syria to Yemen to Congo — are in places where the men who die have many brothers.”

From an article I linked many pages ago:

“It’s also worth recognising that the Russian men who fell fighting the Germans in the Forties were from families of six or seven siblings; those who fell fighting the Afghans in the Eighties were from families of two or three. Those falling now, fighting in Ukraine, are likely to be only-children or one of two siblings. The preparedness of a society to sustain military losses falls as family size falls; the only conflicts in today’s world that go on and on for years — from Libya to Syria to Yemen to Congo — are in places where the men who die have many brothers.”
Probably one of the reasons the Russians lean so heavily on ethnic minorities to field their army. The urbanites get out of military service, and leave the bulk of the service to the rural, poorer men.

Interesting to look at where the French are deploying these missiles. It’s on a coastal plain, with only a few buildings. NATO has been doing exercises for a few years there, and there are rows of berms around the place. It’s just north of Romania’s oil terminal, so it’s strategically important for several reasons. Agricultural exports go out a few miles to the south.
As much as the French are being knocked in this thread, I suspect they got this job because they are one of a few NATO nations that can move this hardware, and place the support troops quickly enough. If there is a move to free up Odessa, we will see more moves like this to protect critical infrastructure. Russia will have few moves left but to attack nations along the Black Sea. A mine was found and destroyed about 70 miles east of where the missiles have been placed last week.

ADVERTISEMENT