ADVERTISEMENT

This Nebraska head coach situation

Nagarunja

All-Conference
May 1, 2009
I know we've got our problems but at least we're not Nebraska. There somehow seems to be support for actually retaining Joseph as head coach. This is wish-casting, plain and simple. They know that the only way Joseph ends up being the coach next year is if they have a great finish to the season, so they've convinced themselves he's going to be the coach because that means they've had a great finish!

I mean, I know their standards are much lower than ours, but this seems to be be based on a 1 point victory over, wait for it..................Rutgers. Oh I guess they also beat the other worst team in the Big Ten, Indiana. In his other two home games against teams with a pulse, Nebraska was outscored 75-23.

A near perfect apples to apples historical parallel here would be John Blake at Oklahoma in the late 90s. A position coach with no head coaching or even coordinator experience. A good recruiter who was fired after 3 years with the all-time worst OU coaching record of 12-23.

They could probably get a Klieman or Leipold type but from the vibes of their message boards it sounds like they want to keep a wide receiver coach that Brian Kelly didn't think was worth keeping on staff. A guy who calls in to a talk-show drunk the night before their game in Ireland and who says in his initial press conference "I won't be outworked". So yeah, just more of the same from the head coaching position at Nebraska. I love it.

I know we've got our problems but at least we're not Nebraska. There somehow seems to be support for actually retaining Joseph as head coach. This is wish-casting, plain and simple. They know that the only way Joseph ends up being the coach next year is if they have a great finish to the season, so they've convinced themselves he's going to be the coach because that means they've had a great finish!

I mean, I know their standards are much lower than ours, but this seems to be be based on a 1 point victory over, wait for it..................Rutgers. Oh I guess they also beat the other worst team in the Big Ten, Indiana. In his other two home games against teams with a pulse, Nebraska was outscored 75-23.

A near perfect apples to apples historical parallel here would be John Blake at Oklahoma in the late 90s. A position coach with no head coaching or even coordinator experience. A good recruiter who was fired after 3 years with the all-time worst OU coaching record of 12-23.

They could probably get a Klieman or Leipold type but from the vibes of their message boards it sounds like they want to keep a wide receiver coach that Brian Kelly didn't think was worth keeping on staff. A guy who calls in to a talk-show drunk the night before their game in Ireland and who says in his initial press conference "I won't be outworked". So yeah, just more of the same from the head coaching position at Nebraska. I love it.

Fishers are the greatest member of the weasel family AIAEC. You're probably thinking martens are better, but fishers are bigger, have fully retractable claws, and can take down and eat a porcupine. Martens WISH they were fishers!

Speaking of Brian Kelly ND promoted the coach popular among players who was a great recruiter with no HC experience. Instead of getting a proven HC they went with the popular guy. Loss in the bowl last year and a 5-3 record with their toughest games remaining it hasn't gone well to start in South Bend for him. I hope and would laugh if Nebby hires Joseph. Because if they do 3 years later we are back to square one wondering who the next HC will be.

Last edited:

dumpsterfire-flooding.gif

There are a few that want to keep MJ but not the majority.

It will be someone else, and definitely a bigger name.

We do not want a good coach going there.

They've gotten some pretty good recruiting classes. They've got really good NIL funding now too. If they get a coach who is actually a good coach and can hang on to the good prospects they get, they'll be a solid team. They won't get to their wet dream of dominating college football with year after year of playoff appearances, but they have the resources to dominate the west as it stands now.

Somehow they keep screwing the pooch with their hires...going for the popular guy or the splashy hire. Just get a good coach and they have a good situation. I know some are saying Matt Campbell...if they could coax him out of Ames (hard to believe that would be hard, but some people like that town), he'd have success there I think.

• Haha
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Osborne holder of doctor in pschology used it to pull wool over NCAA's eyes while he did anything to win and covered up and ignored player criminal activities.

Today's NCAA allows play for pay (so stuff he got away with does fly).

Husker cult believes, as Mickey wants them to, that he is a recruiting guru savior. Of course he is using NIL deals (aka inducements) to "lure" guys like Thompson and Palmer to Lincoln this past year. If hired, I predict another dumpster fire head coach hire (maybe worsethan Frost).
Until Nebraska fans and AD figure out that the shit Osbourne got away with doesn't fly in today's NCAA, they're still going to think they're a top tier program.

They're struggling to get to "average".

Until Nebraska fans and AD figure out that the shit Osbourne got away with doesn't fly in today's NCAA, they're still going to think they're a top tier program.

And they don't live in a shitty conference like they did back in Father Tom's time.

MJ and his wife seem to be really campaigning for the head coach job. MJ says Nebby has never had a black head coach in any sport. Don’t know if that’s true or not.

Speaking of Brian Kelly ND too promoted the coach popular among players who was a great recruiter too with no HC experience. Instead of getting a proven HC they went with the popular guy. Loss in the bowl last year and a 5-3 record with their toughest games remaining it hasn't gone well to start in South Bend for him. I hope and would laugh if Nebby hires Joseph. Because if they do 3 years later we are back to square one wondering who the next HC will be.
Would anyone be surprised if that happened? The Big Red looks to have lost the plot some years ago, and there's no sign yet that they've found it.

I think Trevor will botch this hire. He too is a member of their old guard and his AD experience prior was at a D2 school and cut programs to make it a low rung D1 with no football; hardly a resume that makes one think he will make a good coaching decision at the highest of levels.

They need to turn the page from the 90s but they can’t.

I think Trevor will botch this hire. He too is a member of their old guard and his AD experience prior was at a D2 school and cut programs to make it a low rung D1 with no football; hardly a resume that makes one think he will make a good coaching decision at the highest of levels.

Trev has already shown poor judgement by giving him extra $7.5 million by not waiting 2 weeks to firing him. Then report comes out the other week that originally a verbal but Frost wanted in writing that he would have be retained and extended to 27' back to his original $5 million a year salary if they won at least 6 games and made a bowl game this year.

This.

I know at least some of our Nebber friends on here (like Alumni) have argued that Nebber fans have changed now; that they only want a program that plays sound football and competes for the West most every year; and that they only expect to have that “special” season sprinkled in here and there. That they would be more than satisfied with Wisconsin-level success, and that most realize the 90s are over.

I call bullsh*t.

The Nebbers I know (and I know plenty, living in Omaha) all firmly believe:
1) Nebber is an eternal blue blood
2) The success of the 90s is their birthright
3) They just need to find the “right” guy to get them back there

I’ll set aside my normal tongue-in-cheek disparagement of Nebber briefly to say that it’s absolutely possible they could bring in a competent coach to make them competitive in the conference again. Wisconsin-level, maybe even a little better with the right NIL budget and recruiting staff. In today’s B1G, maybe that gets them to Indy 40% of the time, maybe more?

But the B1G is changing. It’s not gonna be a strong East against a weak West much longer. We’ll soon have two undisputed blue bloods (OSU and USC; three if you add Michigan), plus Penn State, UCLA, Wisconsin. Add Michigan State, Iowa, (sleeping giants Illinois and maybe Minnesota?). Washington, Oregon, possibly even Notre Dame? Where does Nebber consistently fall in THAT pecking order? Top two? Consistently? Really?

So let’s say they bring someone in who gets them back to 8-11 wins regularly. Makes a couple conference championship games but doesn’t win the “big one,” but doesn’t get humiliated in those games either. How long would Nebbers be satisfied with that?

A while, probably, but I say that just like crackheads, that success would have them yearning for and demanding a return to the 90s in short order. That competent guy eventually gets eaten alive, and they’re back on the carousel. Until they totally divorce themselves from that (now distant) past, they’re never going to have sustained success.

I'm not poking at Neb util after we play them. Not this year...... :(

Reactions: Suterman
The Nebbers I know (and I know plenty, living in Omaha) all firmly believe:
1) Nebber is an eternal blue blood
2) The success of the 90s is their birthright
3) They just need to find the “right” guy to get them back there
1- BS
2. BS
3. Good luck with that, suckers.
Keep those VHS recorders in good shape, 'cause you're gonna need 'em for generations to come.

Nebraska fans ("The Greates Fans in the World", gag me) have changed not at all. Give them a whiff of a new flavor of Kool-Aid and they all think they're just a game short of being on top of the world again. Puke! They can't rush fast enough to grasp the Golden Calf by the horns. Too bad it's always a mirage. LOL!!

Reactions: spiderland
So let’s say they bring someone in who gets them back to 8-11 wins regularly. Makes a couple conference championship games but doesn’t win the “big one,” but doesn’t get humiliated in those games either. How long would Nebbers be satisfied with that?

A while, probably, but I say that just like crackheads, that success would have them yearning for and demanding a return to the 90s in short order. That competent guy eventually gets eaten alive, and they’re back on the carousel. Until they totally divorce themselves from that (now distant) past, they’re never going to have sustained success.

Of course it would. Hell, even our fans, with our 8 win seasons, a few CCG appearances, etc are on here in droves talking about how we need to get to the next level and we haven't been there in 60 years. There's a significant portion of the fanbase that are never satisfied. Unless we win it all, we fell short. While that's a great attitude to have about your own personal performance (strive to be the best), it's not always the best way to manage others.

Reactions: Mccusk34
Like the Fred Hoiberg disaster? Fed is 9-50 in B1G play.
The Hoiberg fiasco at Nebraska is one of the most curious things I've ever seen. Looked like a good hire. Won at ISU, had NBA front office experience. His teams at Nebraska have been historically bad.

Only thing I can draw from that is that Fred was the first on to using transfers as a differentiator when at ISU. Now that there is no penalty for sitting out and everyone is using the portal, he's not getting good enough talent out of the portal to compete.

Reactions: TailgateTom

I just wish the NCAA would apply that same logic towards Bama, OSU etc.........

Of course it would. Hell, even our fans, with our 8 win seasons, a few CCG appearances, etc are on here in droves talking about how we need to get to the next level and we haven't been there in 60 years. There's a significant portion of the fanbase that are never satisfied. Unless we win it all, we fell short. While that's a great attitude to have about your own personal performance (strive to be the best), it's not always the best way to manage others.
Balance is needed in everything. In any program (even the likes of OSU) I'm sure there are things that can be done better. But some fans act like the only thing between Iowa and winning the division 4 of 5 years and in the playoffs 2 of every 5 years is if the head coach just wanted it more. As you pointed out, there is a difference between personal performance in our own lives and the environment of winning in the Big 10 at a place like Iowa or Nebraska.

Yes, it's annoying that Iowa's offense isn't even average or bad, but historically bad. It's also true that relative to Iowa's natural program strengths (namely proximity of good recruiting base), that KF has performed well over his 20+ years and very much so since 2015, when compared to his peers in the league.

I'm not saying any of this to excuse what has happened this year. I wouldn't argue a whole lot that it is probably time for KF to move on. At the very least, systemic changes need to occur on offense, and I'm not sure he has either the capacity or desire to enact those changes. Most successful 67-year olds are not looking to make those types of changes at that point in their careers. If he does, he has more depth of character than I thought, and I thought highly of him already.

But to your point. Yes, it's fine as fans to want/desire to be the best. It's also fine to realize that if as an Iowa fan your expectation is that Iowa be Ohio State as a program, you will be disappointed. Saying that OSU has a lot of advantages as a program that Iowa doesn't isn't making excuses, it's an honest assessment of the environment in which both programs operate.

The Hoiberg fiasco at Nebraska is one of the most curious things I've ever seen. Looked like a good hire. Won at ISU, had NBA front office experience. His teams at Nebraska have been historically bad.

Only thing I can draw from that is that Fred was the first on to using transfers as a differentiator when at ISU. Now that there is no penalty for sitting out and everyone is using the portal, he's not getting good enough talent out of the portal to compete.
My cousin was adamant that Nebraska would be winning the B10 making deep runs in March within 2 year when they hired Fred. This was 100% my arguement then, just as it is now.

Yeah, Hoiberg was one of the first coaches to go heavy on transfers, and now that isn't a unique thing. His gimmick is gone, and now he is just trying to convince players to come to one of the worst programs ever.

SEC seems to only have room for 2-3 hugely successful programs. It’s almost like the rest are spending millions and millions and it does no good.

Perhaps the big 10 is the same. If you are not Michigan or Ohio St. Maybe you should take your big fat media money and do something else with it.

1- BS
2. BS
3. Good luck with that, suckers.
Keep those VHS recorders in good shape, 'cause you're gonna need 'em for generations to come.

Nebraska fans ("The Greates Fans in the World", gag me) have changed not at all. Give them a whiff of a new flavor of Kool-Aid and they all think they're just a game short of being on top of the world again. Puke! They can't rush fast enough to grasp the Golden Calf by the horns. Too bad it's always a mirage. LOL!!
They really are the greatest fans. Just ask them.

I keep trying to find out, and nobody seems to be able to answer, whether or not they still stand and applaud for the visiting opponent after every home game. I know for a fact they did that when they went 62-3 at home during the 90s, but have they continued to do that during this 36-29 stretch these past ten years? Did they clap for Georgia Southern this year?

Look for either Bill O’ Brien or Dave Aranda to be next hc.

Whover it is, it will be a difficult job. Huskers are one of the worst football prgrams in NCAA. They are absolutely at the bottom of the barrel, as Iowa has found out the last 7 or 8 years. Absolutely embarassing.

It is what it is.

Reactions: Lindemann
ADVERTISEMENT