ADVERTISEMENT

This Purdue game is going to be FUN

Big Hawk D-Port

HR Heisman
Nov 29, 2004
Obviously the Charlie Jones / Tyrone Tracey situation is the headline, but these coaching staffs have really grown to dislike each other, and Purdue has gotten the better of Phil recently. I promise the staff has this game circled. With the offense getter better I expect there will be a pretty good show on Saturday.

I
Obviously the Charlie Jones / Tyrone Tracey situation is the headline, but these coaching staffs have really grown to dislike each other, and Purdue has gotten the better of Phil recently. I promise the staff has this game circled. With the offense getter better I expect there will be a pretty good show on Saturday.
My most optimistic view of this game:

It will be a rinse and repeat of last year.
Their offense will have twice as many yards as ours.
Our offense will regress back to the mean of its pathetic reality.
Jones will be get 150+ yards receiving.
O’Connell will prove he’s the best QB in the West.
We’ll completely forget about attacking the middle of the field on offense.
Tory has a breakout game with 8 punts averaging 46 yards.
In the end, 27-10, Purdue.

I

Certainly could happen...

I

I could see this exact same scenario.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk and pondscum
I

100%- the delusional Kirk crazies will be out this week claiming we are back and the offense is starting to click…..similar to following Nevada…then reality will set back in….Purdue isn’t that northwestern team…

I

That is your most optimistic view?

One game at a time. There is no one on the remaining schedule we can't beat, and there is no one we can't lose to.

Purdue isn't as good as last year, on either side of the ball. A game vs NW is just what Iowa needed to get some confidence on the offensive side of the ball. It'll be a close game either way.

The bad blood and soap opera storylines are pretty good this week, you can’t deny that.
You have to realize their are some fans on here who want KF gone so bad, that they would just as soon that we lose every game remaining to further their cause. Anyone who wants to see KF turn around this sinking ship is deemed a "delusional Kirk crazy". Such is the state of our fan base currently. Sad really.....

You have to realize their are some fans on here who want KF gone so bad, that they would just as soon that we lose every game remaining to further their cause. Anyone who wants to see KF turn around this sinking ship is deemed a "delusional Kirk crazy". Such is the state of our fan base currently. Sad really.....
I understand fans being frustrated. It’s going to take more than a win over Northwestern to get some folks back on board. That is perfectly reasonable.

Kirk has cultivated such a squeaky clean image that it’s only natural for people to pile on when he screws up, which he will do because he’s not perfect.

But if you can’t enjoy a fun matchup like we’re going to see you on Saturday, then I don’t know why you’re a college football fan. I know it sucks not to be playing for anything meaningful like a championship, but it’s got some good drama.

I understand fans being frustrated. It’s going to take more than a win over Northwestern to get some folks back on board. That is perfectly reasonable.

Kirk has cultivated such a squeaky clean image that it’s only natural for people to pile on when he screws up, which he will do because he’s not perfect.

But if you can’t enjoy a fun matchup like we’re going to see you on Saturday, then I don’t know why you’re a college football fan. I know it sucks not to be playing for anything meaningful like a championship, but it’s got some good drama.
I agree. Just read the other thread with "fans" saying they'd be fine if we lose so that changes are made. Sorry, thats not good. First off believe it or not, these kids are trying to do well, and NO KF is not trying to do poorly on one side of the ball just to give the "fans" the middle finger. The crap people post on here is beyond reasoning...

I agree. Just read the other thread with "fans" saying they'd be fine if we lose so that changes are made. Sorry, thats not good. First off believe it or not, these kids are trying to do well, and NO KF is not trying to do poorly on one side of the ball just to give the "fans" the middle finger. The crap people post on here is beyond reasoning...
All I know is that damn Bell kid won’t be going off on us again. That alone gives me hope.

I watched Purdue play Nebraska...we can beat that team. Purdue's defense was a confused mess. Hopefully we can protect Petras...because guys should be open. The real problem I have is that Purdue's DBs hold on every play. It's atrocious. If we get a crew that let's them get away with it...we likely lose.
I kinda agree. And don’t forget that Nebber’s D surprisingly held Purdue to below 50, so I think we have a shot at holding them to 20 or under.

It's pretty easy for a level-headed person to differentiate between those who want to see KF turn around a sinking ship and those who gargle his balls. It's also pretty easy to differentiate between those who are dissatisfied with the current situation and those who are out-and-out Ferentz haters.

It's the divisive tactic of labeling opposing views as the most extreme version of such that is sad, and it reaches well beyond our fanbase.

Last edited:
Well considering this is a win or walk game for the staff, yeah, they should probably have this game circled.

What is the opening point spread?
Think I saw Purdue is favored by 7, can’t remember the over under.

We’ve struggled against them lately. Not sure if it’s a matchup/scheme issue or just bad break for Iowa but don’t have a good feeling about this one.

I bet Riley Moss has someone circled.

Reactions: icsedge1 and IAGuy
I

Sadly this is pretty much exactly what I see too

We’ve struggled against them lately. Not sure if it’s a matchup/scheme issue or just bad break for Iowa but don’t have a good feeling about this one.
They've had an extra week of preparation last year and this year. See my previous post.

That said, I like Iowa's chances this year. Having Charlie bail late on Iowa this spring won't sit right with some of the players, and Phil is probably pretty sick of hearing how Purdue has his number. This will be a slobberknocker.

Reactions: IAGuy
It's pretty easy for a level-headed person to differentiate between those who want to see KF turn around a sinking ship and those who gargle his balls. It's also pretty easy to differentiate between those who are dissatisfied with the current situation and those who are out-and-out Ferentz haters.

It's the divisive tactic of labeling opposing views as the most extreme version of such that is sad, and it reaches well beyond our fanbase.
All I can say is, I will NEVER hope that we lose a contest for any reason. That thought process is beyond my comprehension. These coaches AND players know were things are, and I'm certain that no one on here is more upset then they are. Yet they keep working. At this point thats what I expect. That they don't give up. I don't believe they will. Any changes will or will not happen after the last game, and will be evaluated to no end here and everywhere else.

I thought Logan Jones comment to the reporter was very telling when she talked to him about the struggles as they sat where the players eat. He said you look on that wall, and see all those All Americans, many of them Offensive lineman. There's a sense of pride here that it all starts up front. They know. I've said many times that most of this starts up front, and much directly with his play. He's been thrown into a tough spot replacing a legend, and he wasn't ready. That much is clear. I think the raw skills are there. We'll see if he can put his picture on the wall in a couple of years.

Last edited:
if we had lost or even won against nw without contribution from the offense, the team would've been too dejected for pu. as things stand, i believe they will show up with good morale.
i still don't expect petras to lead us to a win because pu actually defends very well and also knows how to neutralize parker. but i'll watch with interest hoping we put up a decent showing.

As for circling this game, i'm pretty sure both teams have had this circled the last 2 years in a row and it didn't make any difference for us.

Also brihm has shown that he will have a couple significant offensive wrinkles for sure after the extra week to prep.

Your viewpoint is so black and white. I’ll admit at this point I really could not care less if the team doesn’t win another game this year. Because I live in reality and understand the more games they win, the more of a case ol Kirk will have to make to keep his dipshit son on staff another year. I love Iowa football and years past never missed a game, but with all the bullshit Kirk is pulling between his son and refusing to make the necessary changes to make us competitive on the offensive side of the ball I have lost all interest. I want it back, and I don’t see it coming back until either Kirk makes the hard decision or he hangs it up. Call me a bad fan, don’t give a shit. It is what it is.

I think it’s scheme honestly. That and Purdue has a coach that truly “scratches where it itches”. He finds mismatches and just goes back to them over and over.

that doesn’t mean I’m predicting a Hawkeye loss, but I’m worried it could be frustrating to watch a “repeat” of last year.

Society…there’s a grievance culture permeating everything

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT