ADVERTISEMENT

This Purdue game is going to be FUN

On the PU board there is a thread speculating that Brohm will move on after this year as they lose a lot of players and have a brutal schedule next year.
Good riddance if he goes.
Dirty recruiter should go back to Louisville.

Most of my in-laws are Purdue fans including several pretty big donors. I will just say that a lot of people are biting their tongues right now regarding Brohm. If/when he eventually leaves there are a lot of people who have a lot of info on him. Bad guy.

Wow. Spill the beans!

100%- the delusional Kirk crazies will be out this week claiming we are back and the offense is starting to click…..similar to following Nevada…then reality will set back in….Purdue isn’t that northwestern team…
Purdue isn’t Michigan or Ohio State either. Iowa just needs to execute the makeable plays and they will be in this football game.

SSDD...Purdue stacks the box and we continue with runs off tackle for 2-3 yards. Tons of 3rd and long for Iowa. D makes a valiant effort but wears down. Purdue 24 Iowa 13
43rd ranked defense, so they aren't world beaters like Illinois, Michigan and Ohio State on defense.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Is Brohm going to have options to leave? Who is hiring him? He is a .500 overall coach.

Your viewpoint is so black and white. I’ll admit at this point I really could not care less if the team doesn’t win another game this year. Because I live in reality and understand the more games they win, the more of a case ol Kirk will have to make to keep his dipshit son on staff another year. I love Iowa football and years past never missed a game, but with all the bullshit Kirk is pulling between his son and refusing to make the necessary changes to make us competitive on the offensive side of the ball I have lost all interest. I want it back, and I don’t see it coming back until either Kirk makes the hard decision or he hangs it up. Call me a bad fan, don’t give a shit. It is what it is.
Actually has a choice in that secondary. Certain Brohm will take things from OhioSt. Last year was awful, one guy and one play to stop and couldn't do it. This year Purdue has more weapons. Jones will be running wide open, if not him that big TE.

Show me stats that this offense is decent.

anything. You’re words - no one else’s.

back it up. I can show about 20 stats to prove the exact opposite.

let’s go…
Listen...the last two years have been tough. What's the constant issue over the past two years on offense? The offensive line has been subpar for an Iowa OL. You started a redshirt freshman last year and a true freshman...that's unprecedented at Iowa. This year...you lost your all-American in Linderbaum...and I think his ability to lead is sorely missed more than anything. This is the youngest OL in the B10. Our struggles are personnel related...not scheme or Xs & Os.

In the four years prior to last year...we averaged between 29.25 points per game. Last year it was 23.4. Why the change? Petras' first year starting we averaged 31.2 in 2020. The past two years are subpar...why? See paragraph one. It's the offensive line, stupid.

You can blame Brian Ferentz for recruiting misses, or two first rounders going early to the NFL (Wirfs & Linderbaum)...or the fact that several players left with eligibility remaining (Schott, Kallenberger, Cronk, others)...but the reality is that this offense...in my opinion...with the right players...is much better than anything that O'Keefe or Greg Davis put on the field.

People keep saying Brian's leaving for the NFL or that KF is going to get rid of him. Nonsense. Do you really think Brian is going anywhere when he knows he has 8-9 guys coming back on the OL who have experience and will be a year older and more experienced. Our young receivers are getting better and will be a year older. He also has a true freshman at 6'8" 330 that will step right into the right tackle position.

All my words.

Can someone elaborate on reasons for the bad blood between these two coaching staffs? I’ve seen and heard quite a few references to it over the last week without any detail at all.

I understand that Brohm seems to be a little big on ego, that his offense has torched our D more often than not, that they destroyed our “#2-ranked” Hawks in Kinnick last year, that he’s 4-1 against us, and that they took 2 of our better WR’s in the off-season. Those would all be legit reasons to resent them a little, but I’ve seen nothing concrete as to why there’s suddenly “bad blood” (i.e., a hostile relationship) between the staffs.

TIA for any details. Should be a fun ballgame to watch. Expecting a L but hoping for an upset W (apparently Iowa fans need to clarify whether they’re actually pulling for the W these days).
I don't know about before last year, but the word is that there was tampering with the Jones deal.

Listen...the last two years have been tough. What's the constant issue over the past two years on offense? The offensive line has been subpar for an Iowa OL. You started a redshirt freshman last year and a true freshman...that's unprecedented at Iowa. This year...you lost your all-American in Linderbaum...and I think his ability to lead is sorely missed more than anything. This is the youngest OL in the B10. Our struggles are personnel related...not scheme or Xs & Os.

In the four years prior to last year...we averaged between 29.25 points per game. Last year it was 23.4. Why the change? Petras' first year starting we averaged 31.2 in 2020. The past two years are subpar...why? See paragraph one. It's the offensive line, stupid.

You can blame Brian Ferentz for recruiting misses, or two first rounders going early to the NFL (Wirfs & Linderbaum)...or the fact that several players left with eligibility remaining (Schott, Kallenberger, Cronk, others)...but the reality is that this offense...in my opinion...with the right players...is much better than anything that O'Keefe or Greg Davis put on the field.

People keep saying Brian's leaving for the NFL or that KF is going to get rid of him. Nonsense. Do you really think Brian is going anywhere when he knows he has 8-9 guys coming back on the OL who have experience and will be a year older and more experienced. Our young receivers are getting better and will be a year older. He also has a true freshman at 6'8" 330 that will step right into the right tackle position.

All my words.
There is some truth to this, but every program in the country, save for a half dozen or so, has personnel deficiencies somewhere. You have to figure it out with what you have and Brian hasn’t. He gone, in my opinion.

Reading the replies to my “I think it’s scheme” makes me wonder how dumb some of our fans are?

Yes, the WHOLE POINT is Brohm’s not that great of a coach overall but he’s somehow got our number. PP is one of, if not the best DC out there… but he hasn’t been able to demonstrate it against Brohm’s offense.

it’s scheme somehow in my view. For whatever reason he’s found a way to beat us but it doesn’t translate to much against other teams.

again, I’m not saying this means Purdue beats Iowa Saturday… just that for whatever reason the matchup doesn’t intimidate Purdue much, if at all.

All my words.
The o-line is part of the offense. I noted that the offense is horrible which is not subjective. It is the worst in college football - that is a fact. Yes the oline is terrible. Laughable in instances. The offense has been ranked at or near the bottom of the conference for the entirety of BFs tenure. If you like it fine but you did nothing to convince me if the line were serviceable that the offense would be in the top 50% of the conference. Shame too because the team has had some insanely good defenses over the years. This year is a huge shame that the coaches have let the personnel get to this point, as Iowa has an excellent defense AND special teams.

100%- the delusional Kirk crazies will be out this week claiming we are back and the offense is starting to click…..similar to following Nevada…then reality will set back in….Purdue isn’t that northwestern team…
Just a reminder, but the last three losses have come against the #2, #4, and #17 teams in the country. And the only true blowout was against Ohio State. Say what you want, while this is not a great team, they certainly aren't as bad as many are claiming.

Purdue will dunk and drop the ball down the field. If they are dumb enough to take long shots down the field to Charlie, the secondary is going to have multiple picks.

• Haha
Reactions: SBWarriorHawk
Purdue will dunk and drop the ball down the field. If they are dumb enough to take long shots down the field to Charlie, the secondary is going to have multiple picks.
Awful SDST took a shot .... to a 40 yd wide open Rabbit. Purdue isn't OhioSt, who were running wind sprints to the end zone the 2nd half, but they know what do vs this back dropping D. It's proven.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Just a reminder, but the last three losses have come against the #2, #4, and #17 teams in the country. And the only true blowout was against Ohio State. Say what you want, while this is not a great team, they certainly aren't as bad as many are claiming.
Michigan ran the ball up the gut to a 20-0 and packed it in and went home. Iowa St drove 99 yds with a newbie qb running the same play and playing on the road for the first time. Illini O is as bad as the Hawk's. Ohio St put up 54! and scored every time in the 2nd half.
Hawk's are what they are. Get off Barta, he schedules very well.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I watched Purdue play Nebraska...we can beat that team. Purdue's defense was a confused mess. Hopefully we can protect Petras...because guys should be open. The real problem I have is that Purdue's DBs hold on every play. It's atrocious. If we get a crew that let's them get away with it...we likely lose.
Sauer-Cook kept quiet last game. Still, hope she isn't on this Saturday's crew

Awful SDST took a shot .... to a 40 yd wide open Rabbit. Purdue isn't OhioSt, who were running wind sprints to the end zone the 2nd half, but they know what do vs this back dropping D. It's proven.
So 1 pass play that was incomplete? I forgot how many shots NW took on Saturday. Can you remind me?

Very disappointed. I came here for a "Separated at Birth" post.

#CharlieJones4Biletnikoff

Boiler Up!

just here for some fun...not really a troll :)

Last edited:
If we don't get a bogus holding called against us in 2018 and Sargent doesn't fumble in the 4th quarter in 2020, we have a winning record against Brohm's Purdue.

Last year we got punked, and their offensive scheme matches up well against our defense in general, but I don't think they really, truly have our number.

I'm picking us to win this game straight up.

If we don't get a bogus holding called against us in 2018 and Sargent doesn't fumble in the 4th quarter in 2020, we have a winning record against Brohm's Purdue.

Last year we got punked, and their offensive scheme matches up well against our defense in general, but I don't think they really, truly have our number.

I'm picking us to win this game straight up.
Put money on it.

Reactions: Farleyhawk
Obviously the Charlie Jones / Tyrone Tracey situation is the headline, but these coaching staffs have really grown to dislike each other, and Purdue has gotten the better of Phil recently. I promise the staff has this game circled. With the offense getter better I
They only need about 5 minutes to prepare for our offense.
Blitz on any down that is more than 4yds.

Reactions: curtisj57

All my words.
Players dictate what Xs and Os you scheme. The OC is responsible to flex the schemes to his players, ours does not. I see HS coaches change nearly every year based upon the kids coming up, it's not rocket science.

Reactions: DewHawk
Most of my in-laws are Purdue fans including several pretty big donors. I will just say that a lot of people are biting their tongues right now regarding Brohm. If/when he eventually leaves there are a lot of people who have a lot of info on him. Bad guy.

0527e1252a15510e34f2aef44e33909d263f4d-v5.jpg

Pure BS. There’s nothing on Brohm inside close circles.

Last edited:

All my words.

2018 is worth noting at 30+ per game. No one should use anything from 2020 as evidence for anything. Teams were severely limited in practice. Some teams didn't even allow contact in practice. Petras played two good halves in the entire 2020 season.
You are correct about the O Line. When is the last time they had a great line? Despite Scherff, Wirfs, Linderbaum, the lines have been subpar for the better part of a decade.
KOK was hands-down the best OC during KF's tenure AINEC.

Reactions: HawkeyeinOmaha
Reading the replies to my “I think it’s scheme” makes me wonder how dumb some of our fans are?

Yes, the WHOLE POINT is Brohm’s not that great of a coach overall but he’s somehow got our number. PP is one of, if not the best DC out there… but he hasn’t been able to demonstrate it against Brohm’s offense.

it’s scheme somehow in my view. For whatever reason he’s found a way to beat us but it doesn’t translate to much against other teams.

again, I’m not saying this means Purdue beats Iowa Saturday… just that for whatever reason the matchup doesn’t intimidate Purdue much, if at all.

The biggest thing is he attacks the corners. A lot of offenses seem afraid to be aggressive against Iowa's D. He has even said he is going to go after them and make them show they can stop it. Phil rarely runs man schemes. Brohm knows where the holes are and attacks them.

Reactions: Pepperman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT