ADVERTISEMENT

This Season Turned when Fran moved JBo back to Point Guard after Jan 31 loss at PSU. So much for the "February Fran Fade"

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
On Jan 31, Iowa lost at Penn State 90-86 in double OT. Iowa's record after that game was 14-7, 4-6.

On Feb 6, vs Minnesota, Fran made 2 changes:

(1) Jordan was back at starting Point Guard;

(2) Tony Perkins was the new starting 2 guard.

Most on here wanted JBo benched.

Fran knew best.

Now look at this team.

Weird, I know.

GO HAWKS!!!

March 14, 2022 Update:

On Jan 31, Iowa lost at Penn State 90-86 in double OT. Iowa's record after that game was 14-7, 4-6.

On Feb 6, vs Minnesota, Fran made 2 changes:

(1) Jordan was back at starting Point Guard;

(2) Tony Perkins was the new starting 2 guard.

The result of this change?

* Iowa has now won 12 of its last 14 and has a record of 26-9.

* They won a B1G Tournament Championship for the first time since 2006.

* Iowa is a 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament

Last edited:
JBO is not playing 100 percent PG. I would not say that is only thing that has changed, as Keegan has been healthy and not in foul trouble and carrying the team last few gams.

I do think JBO is better at the PG spot than the 2G spot, so that woudl make Fran incorrect in his original assessment that JBO could play 2G.

JBO is not playing 100 percent PG. I would not say that is only thing that has changed, as Keegan has been healthy and not in foul trouble and carrying the team last few gams.

I do think JBO is better at the PG spot than the 2G spot, so that woudl make Fran incorrect in his original assessment that JBO could play 2G.
We need to give Fran credit for the 2 foul rule.....and Keegan for getting the message and making the change.

100% agree. They are all in right now and it’s working. Win 3 of the last 4. It’s there for them if they keep playing like this. This is not your moms MSU team but holy heck that was a blowout. Finish boys. It’s there for you to grab a decent seed.
Yeah.....I guarantee that Nebraska at their place and NW at home are NOT gimme's,,,,but if our guys give the defensive and rebounding effort like we did tonight they should win those.

Fran_Tearaways.gif

100% agree. They are all in right now and it’s working. Win 3 of the last 4. It’s there for them if they keep playing like this. This is not your moms MSU team but holy heck that was a blowout. Finish boys. It’s there for you to grab a decent seed.

And Joe Toussaint did not pout. Instead, he is still smiling and still playing well off the bench

And seriously, with all the 4 and 5 Stars Izzo gets, how can they be THIS bad?

Yeah.....I guarantee that Nebraska at their place and NW at home are NOT gimme's,,,,but if our guys give the defensive and rebounding effort like we did tonight they should win those.
Defense....rebound ......run....rinse.....repeat

Defense effort is the key to this team. It drives everything else. When they play tough D and box out they are off and running.

Correlation does not equal causation. The success is there no doubt but I think a lot of our success has been that that first wave when we play joe jbo Murray’sx2 and Connor. That continues when he bring in ulis for jbo.
I think the best thing fran has done is play more of the Murray’s together. I think most have been asking for that all season.

Most on here wanted JBo benched.

Fran knew best.

Now look at this team.

Weird, I know.

GO HAWKS!!!
Touché. And I will admit that I was among those critical of the move.

For me, it wasn’t so much about wanting JBo benched as it was about fearing that Toussaint was being treated unfairly. But it seems to be working, and everyone seems happy, so give credit where credit is due.

I am still interested to see what happens in the off-season, and if we have any less-than-expected portal departures. But we will just have to see about that. For now, I’m just enjoying the success streak, and looking forward to the rest of the season.

again nothing of substance. Just a circle jerk with the board spam junior master.
I’m here for ya, man. I know Iowa winning has you all upset. Things aren’t quite going the way you and others envisioned(hoped for). But let’s all pull together and have a great March!!! What say you?

Reactions: pmtdc
What a couple of jerks. Seriously. It's not a good look.

I've been critical of JBo. More so Fran's extended minutes he gives JBo. He's upped his defensive game of late and it's great. I still don't like him at point. He doesn't assist the ball. When he's making shots and playing decent D, you play him. When he isn't, you don't. That hasn't changed.

Tonight's minutes distribution:
JBo 23
Joe T 18
Ulis 17
Perkins 17

I also liked the combo of Joe T and JBo in there tonight. We are going to need Joe T at the point to make a run and we need Perkins to find his shot.

We need to give Fran credit for the 2 foul rule.....and Keegan for getting the message and making the change.

FRan is the man. All along, I thought this team had better than >0.500 B1G talent, and not getting there looked like a strong possiblity earlier.

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
I think Fran has finally settled into a starting lineup and rotations that fit this team very well. Everything seems to be in synch. And, wow, when that O gets rolling…..there isn’t a better offensive team in the country.
The defense is locked in right now and it’s driving everything. Frans pushing the right buttons which is nice to see, and they’re gaining confidence which is obviously helping. It really didn’t matter what lineup fran threw out tonight, everyone played well. Keep playing at this level and we may find ourselves at a 5 seed or better. Think they showed us projected at a 7 tonight during the game.

ADVERTISEMENT