ADVERTISEMENT

This Season Turned when Fran moved JBo back to Point Guard after Jan 31 loss at PSU. So much for the "February Fran Fade"

JBO is not playing 100 percent PG. I would not say that is only thing that has changed, as Keegan has been healthy and not in foul trouble and carrying the team last few gams.

I do think JBO is better at the PG spot than the 2G spot, so that woudl make Fran incorrect in his original assessment that JBO could play 2G.
I think that was simply Fran offering a formula to Joe T and Ulis that Jbo returning was not going to deter their opportunities.

Reactions: CuttyDoesIt
The Hawks go as Keegan goes. Outside of the Wisconsin loss, all other losses Keegan shot well below 50% and scored below his average. Keegan's been on fire lately (other than the Michigan game) and it's translated into wins. Staying out of foul trouble certainly helps. Lots of other factors as well, but this is the biggest one imo.

Looks to me that Fran has an A team and a B team. Starters play first 10 unless playing well or bad, second team plays the rest of the half. The second half, subs in earlier and goes with halftime adjustments.
Hot hands are the exception.

Fran fade wasn't really a thing, a Marble team that had chemistry issue, and some other soft teams that couldn't play defense.

Not this year.

Reactions: pmtdc
Looks to me that Fran has an A team and a B team. Starters play first 10 unless playing well or bad, second team plays the rest of the half. The second half, subs in earlier and goes with halftime adjustments.
Hot hands are the exception.

Fran fade wasn't really a thing, a Marble team that had chemistry issue, and some other soft teams that couldn't play defense.

Not this year.

I agree about the A and B teams, although the line changes have been getting better (last night excluded).

I’ll disagree with the times. The A team usually plays between to around the 14:00-12:00 minute mark. Somewhere between the 16-12 min timeout. Four players will come out and Keegan will remain in until shortly before the 8:00 minute timeout. The B team will usually go about 6 to 8 minutes, but will never finish out the half. Then the hot hand/match ups/fouls determine the lineup (but usually starters) will finish out the last six or so minutes. I can’t remember any starter besides Keegan playing past the first 12 min timeout.

The 2nd half starts with the original starters and will somewhat mirror the start of the first half to a smaller extent. Fran seems quicker to go to the match ups and hot hand in the 2nd half. In good games like last night, JBo sits the last 11:40 and Ash/Ogundele come in around the 8:00 timeout.

Reactions: CO_hawk
The season turned when the schedule turned. Izzo said it best on pre-game radio. Iowa had the tough part of its schedule early and now has had an easier stretch - and it’s been the opposite for MSU.

Still have to give this team credit, they have taken care of the teams they should other than PSU in double OT

The Hawks go as Keegan goes. Outside of the Wisconsin loss, all other losses Keegan shot well below 50% and scored below his average. Keegan's been on fire lately (other than the Michigan game) and it's translated into wins. Staying out of foul trouble certainly helps. Lots of other factors as well, but this is the biggest one imo.
He's been different the past couple of weeks in a good way. He was terrific the entire year, no doubt. But recently it looks like he is of the attitude that he is going to be the aggressor on offense. He's looking to drive the ball aggressively, initiate contact, force the defense to stop him on the way to the hoop. And if they back off, he's going to let it fly. And on the defensive end, he's arrived at the place where he just isn't going to pick up cheap fouls it looks like. If it means he gives up a bit there, he's still a very good defender. But he knows he has to be out there for 30+ minutes if Iowa is going to win these games.

Most on here wanted JBo benched.

Fran knew best.

Now look at this team.

Weird, I know.

GO HAWKS!!!
The season turned when Iowa started to rebound the ball and upped their defensive game. You’re making too much of JBO returning to PG. JBO is really giving the Hawks good effort on the defensive end. Much improved over the last six or so games. His shooting is erratic. Maybe 5 above average shooting games this year?

What a couple of jerks. Seriously. It's not a good look.

I've been critical of JBo. More so Fran's extended minutes he gives JBo. He's upped his defensive game of late and it's great. I still don't like him at point. He doesn't assist the ball. When he's making shots and playing decent D, you play him. When he isn't, you don't. That hasn't changed.

Tonight's minutes distribution:
JBo 23
Joe T 18
Ulis 17
Perkins 17

I also liked the combo of Joe T and JBo in there tonight. We are going to need Joe T at the point to make a run and we need Perkins to find his shot.
Just for the heck of it, let's go to the Hawkeye archives to see who holds the assist record. Well, well, who is that on top of the chart? Surely not Jordan Bohannon! He's not a real point guard, after all.

Know what you're talking about before posting something idiotic.

The season turned when Iowa started to rebound the ball and upped their defensive game. You’re making too much of JBO returning to PG. JBO is really giving the Hawks good effort on the defensive end. Much improved over the last six or so games. His shooting is erratic. Maybe 5 above average shooting games this year?
Jordan just seems comfortable again, and the shooting has improved somewhat/just seems more confident when shooting.

Agree, but you have to admit, that coming on here after THAT win and still not happy.....something might just be wrong with those guys.
Idk if it’s so much being unhappy after the win, but it’s looking big picture. We won big games last year with arguably the best team under Fran…and still couldn’t make it past the first weekend in ncaa. Until that happens, everything Fran does is going to be scrutinized to a point, that’s just fact.
Im extremely happy after that beat down last night and the way they played and handled a very good OSU team saturday and love the way we’re playing right now! Playing hard and with confidence, plus seem to be peaking at the right time for once. Really looking forward to watching them the rest of the season.
That said, going off Frans postseason resume, im skeptical we breakthrough to second weekend this year (obviously it would be a huge overachievement from preseason expectations). But at some point he has got to break through and make that happen to gain himself some leeway.
This is just where i’m at, can’t speak for other posters.

JBO is not playing 100 percent PG. I would not say that is only thing that has changed, as Keegan has been healthy and not in foul trouble and carrying the team last few gams.

I do think JBO is better at the PG spot than the 2G spot, so that woudl make Fran incorrect in his original assessment that JBO could play 2G.
Or his original assessment of who should be point?

Just for the heck of it, let's go to the Hawkeye archives to see who holds the assist record. Well, well, who is that on top of the chart? Surely not Jordan Bohannon! He's not a real point guard, after all.

Maybe he’s just referring to this year? Since jbo has moved back to the starting pg role, mn game I believe, he’s had 12 assists in 6 games 5 of which came against md, so not great. That being said, he really isn’t playing the point for that many minutes, getting quite a few of his minutes with joe/ulis on the floor. He isn’t being asked to have the ball in his hands near as much this yr as past seasons.

Idk if it’s so much being unhappy after the win, but it’s looking big picture. We won big games last year with arguably the best team under Fran…and still couldn’t make it past the first weekend in ncaa. Until that happens, everything Fran does is going to be scrutinized to a point, that’s just fact.
Im extremely happy after that beat down last night and the way they played and handled a very good OSU team saturday and love the way we’re playing right now! Playing hard and with confidence, plus seem to be peaking at the right time for once. Really looking forward to watching them the rest of the season.
That said, going off Frans postseason resume, im skeptical we breakthrough to second weekend this year (obviously it would be a huge overachievement from preseason expectations). But at some point he has got to break through and make that happen to gain himself some leeway.
For some, it's how they present their argument. Standing with your arms folded with the repetitive "Fran never makes the sweet 16" after every win gets tiresome. It's odd to not enjoy present success, but that's just me.

Not this year.
The ”Fran Fade” was never a thing. This is his 12th season at Iowa and he’s had 4 seasons with a losing record in February, and two of those were 2010-2011 and 2017-2018, when Iowa went 11-20 and 14-19, respectively. I have a hard time calling those “fades”, those were just bad teams.

He did have a couple years when they finished February really poorly, and the worst of those did happen in close proximity (Feb 2014, lost last 3 games to finish a 3-4 Feb and Feb 2016, lost 4 of last 5 after a hot Feb start).

Since that bad February in the 2017-2018 season, Iowa is 21-9 in February……so hopefully the fade talk can just go away now.

Here are Fran’s season records in February, along with the final record:

2010-11: 2-5, 11-20
2011-12: 4-4, 17-16
2012-13: 4-3, 21-12
2013-14: 3-4, 21-12
2014-15: 6-2, 21-11
2015-16: 3-4, 21-10
2016-17: 3-3, 18-14
2017-18: 2-6, 14-19
2018-19: 5-2, 22-11
2019-20: 5-3, 20-11
2020-21: 6-3, 21-8
2021-22: 5-2, 19-8 (as of 2/23/22)

For some, it's how they present their argument. Standing with your arms folded with the repetitive "Fran never makes the sweet 16" after every win gets tiresome. It's odd to not enjoy present success, but that's just me.
Agreed. Although I think you can enjoy present success and still look at the big picture.

Reactions: littlez
Leistikow agrees with me and my original post. He even wrote a column on this.

Weird, I know. ;)

Some excerpts from his column:

It’s no coincidence that Iowa is 5-1 since moving Jordan Bohannon back to point guard. The sixth-year senior is much more confident in his shot and has been masterful at maximizing Murray touches.

After a 1-for-9 team start to the second half Tuesday, Bohannon canned back-to-back bombs to push Iowa’s lead to 61-44, a wonderful moment in his next-to-last home game.

The full column is here:

cc: @TheTruthTheWholeTruth @perryhawk @Hawksfor3

Reactions: Hawksfor3
If he can get consistently off the 7-10 seed lines, he’ll eventually make the Sweet 16. For all the talk of Iowa and the Sweet 16, they’ve typically played roughly to seed, with two glaring examples - Alford getting knocked out in the first round by 14 seed Northwestern St. and Fran getting knocked out last year by #7 seed Oregon. Going back to the Raveling and the start of the 64-team tournament era, Iowa has never really overachieved, but they generally play to seed.

Iowa’s results by seed, back to Raveling era:

#2 Seed:
  • Elite Eight: 1987 losing to #1 seed UNLV (it’s still too soon to discuss)
  • 2nd round loss: 2021 losing to #7 seed Oregon
#3 Seed:
  • 1st round loss: 2006 vs. #14 seed Northwestern St.
#4 Seed:
  • 2nd round loss: 1989 lost to #5 seed NC St.
  • 2nd round loss: 1993 lost to #5 seed Arizona
#5 Seed
  • Sweet 16: 1988 lost to #1 seed Arizona
  • Sweet 16: 1999 lost to #1 seed UConn
#6 Seed
  • 2nd round loss: 1996 lost to #3 seed Arizona
#7 Seed
  • 2nd round loss: 1991 lost to #2 seed Duke
  • 2nd round loss: 2001 lost to #2 seed Kentucky
  • 2nd round loss: 2015 lost to #2 seed Gonzaga
  • 2nd round loss: 2016 lost to #2 seed Villanova
#8 Seed
  • 2nd round loss: 1997 lost to #1 seed Kentucky
  • 1st round loss: 1985 lost to #5 seed Arkansas
#9 Seed
  • 2nd round loss: 1992 lost to #1 seed Duke
#10 Seed
  • 2nd round loss: 2019 lost to #2 seed Villanova
  • 1st round loss: 2005 lost to #7 seed Cincinnati
#11 seed
  • First round loss: 1986 lost to #6 seed NC St.
  • First Four loss: 2014 lost to #11 Tennessee

Just like years ago I remember some idiot arguing to the death that Dev Marble was a ball hog, yet he was near the top of the conference in assists lol. Some people don't check the facts before they type.

Reactions: F5n5 and perryhawk
Leistikow agrees with me and my original post. He even wrote a column on this.

Weird, I know. ;)

Some excerpts from his column:

It’s no coincidence that Iowa is 5-1 since moving Jordan Bohannon back to point guard. The sixth-year senior is much more confident in his shot and has been masterful at maximizing Murray touches.

After a 1-for-9 team start to the second half Tuesday, Bohannon canned back-to-back bombs to push Iowa’s lead to 61-44, a wonderful moment in his next-to-last home game.

The full column is here:

cc: @TheTruthTheWholeTruth @perryhawk @Hawksfor3

And for those that say Kris should start?

Here's what Chad wrote and what Kris thinks:

And it's time to quiet the “Kris should be starting” takes. His role as Iowa’s sharpshooting, rebounding, defending sixth man gives the Hawkeyes scoring weapons in waves. And Kris enjoys the low-pressure role — similar to what his brother did last year while yielding to Garza and Joe Wieskamp. Most nights, he still gets starter-level minutes.

“I like it, just because it helps us keep the same intensity as the first group,” Kris Murray said. “And there’s no let-up at all from the first group to the second group.”

Get these Hawkeyes to the Big Dance the way they’re playing now, and they could do a lot of damage. Like they did in leading a traditional conference power by as many as 32 points in Tuesday's beatdown.

“We knew if there’s a wounded animal, keep the wounded animal down," Keegan Murray said. "That’s what we did in the second half."

• Love
Reactions: perryhawk

Let's look at the present instead of the past, shall we?

2022 assist numbers per 40 minutes:
Jordan Bohannon 2.5
Tony Perkins 3.1
Ahron Ulis 6.4
Joe Toussaint 7.6

Add to that all 3 of those guys are better defenders than Jordan guarding the point position.

Perhaps it is you that should know what you're talking about before you post something idiotic.

Only caveat I’ll add is that the NCAA tourney is so much about matchups, and oregon with their quick, athletic guards was a TERRIBLE matchup for us. Fran screwed up by not trying to slow the game down, because we were never going to win a track meet with them. They also had the added adrenaline from that being their first game as well.
The ”Fran Fade” was never a thing. This is his 12th season at Iowa and he’s had 4 seasons with a losing record in February, and two of those were 2010-2011 and 2017-2018, when Iowa went 11-20 and 14-19, respectively. I have a hard time calling those “fades”, those were just bad teams.

He did have a couple years when they finished February really poorly, and the worst of those did happen in close proximity (Feb 2014, lost last 3 games to finish a 3-4 Feb and Feb 2016, lost 4 of last 5 after a hot Feb start).

Since that bad February in the 2017-2018 season, Iowa is 21-9 in February……so hopefully the fade talk can just go away now.

Here are Fran’s season records in February, along with the final record:

2010-11: 2-5, 11-20
2011-12: 4-4, 17-16
2012-13: 4-3, 21-12
2013-14: 3-4, 21-12
2014-15: 6-2, 21-11
2015-16: 3-4, 21-10
2016-17: 3-3, 18-14
2017-18: 2-6, 14-19
2018-19: 5-2, 22-11
2019-20: 5-3, 20-11
2020-21: 6-3, 21-8
2021-22: 5-2, 19-8 (as of 2/23/22)
Forget which year it was, but one of those fades also coincided with Patrick starting his cancer treatments, and there’s just no way Fran and the team was 100% focused on basketball down the stretch that year.
If he can get consistently off the 7-10 seed lines, he’ll eventually make the Sweet 16. For all the talk of Iowa and the Sweet 16, they’ve typically played roughly to seed, with two glaring examples - Alford getting knocked out in the first round by 14 seed Northwestern St. and Fran getting knocked out last year by #7 seed Oregon. Going back to the Raveling and the start of the 64-team tournament era, Iowa has never really overachieved, but they generally play to seed.

#2 Seed:
#3 Seed:
#4 Seed:
#5 Seed
#6 Seed
#7 Seed
#8 Seed
#9 Seed
#10 Seed
#11 seed
Forget whether it was Morehouse, Lesitkow or someone, who did some digging last year and pointed out how long it’s been since Iowa played a team that advanced via upset. They’ve played chalk brackets for decades.

btw, that 2005 team - didn’t they beat Cincinnati up lose to Kentucky in round 2?

Maybe he’s just referring to this year? Since jbo has moved back to the starting pg role, mn game I believe, he’s had 12 assists in 6 games 5 of which came against md, so not great. That being said, he really isn’t playing the point for that many minutes, getting quite a few of his minutes with joe/ulis on the floor. He isn’t being asked to have the ball in his hands near as much this yr as past seasons.
Right which is why thinking that its having some major effect is so silly.

Hes basically playing 10 minutes or so of pg and the rest with Joe or Ulis at point. I don't think its having much of an effect either way.

The whole team is getting better because that's usually what happens in college basketball with a team that hasn't played together much before.

Also helps they're not facing the 3 top teams in the league and are now not getting destroyed on the boards.

#2 Seed:
#3 Seed:
#4 Seed:
#5 Seed
#6 Seed
#7 Seed
#8 Seed
#9 Seed
#10 Seed
#11 seed
Yep. I understand it's not easy getting to the Sweet 16. Unfortunately when you see a program like Oregon State make the elite 8 last year it just kills you. Obviously it's about matchups but when you are Iowa you have to take advantage of the once every 25 years or so when you are the 2 seed. You just have to. And Oregon was not a great team as they got waxed the next game. I still think when all is said and done we probably end up a 5-7 seed. We are certainly trending up. 6 and 7 seeds are tough as you should certainly win the 1st but then playing a 2 or 3 it's a blue blood in the round of 32. We need to hope we can keep rolling and get to a 5, which gives us a legit chance and playing a 4 seed of who we should be able to compete with.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Aaaaaaaaaand here we gooooooo

@Franisdaman
Bulldogs1974 isn't wrong. That being said, I'd be curious to why Fran made the change in the first place. What was his thinking? Is it for defensive reasons to get Perkins in to guard the off guard? Some games, Fran barely plays Perkins (last night he did), so I've found it odd that Perkins is starting.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Outside of last night, it has seemed Joe's minutes have actually gone up since he started coming off the bench.

Yep. I understand it's not easy getting to the Sweet 16. Unfortunately when you see a program like Oregon State make the elite 8 last year it just kills you. Obviously it's about matchups but when you are Iowa you have to take advantage of the once every 25 years or so when you are the 2 seed. You just have to. And Oregon was not a great team as they got waxed the next game. I still think when all is said and done we probably end up a 5-7 seed. We are certainly trending up. 6 and 7 seeds are tough as you should certainly win the 1st but then playing a 2 or 3 it's a blue blood in the round of 32. We need to hope we can keep rolling and get to a 5, which gives us a legit chance and playing a 4 seed of who we should be able to compete with.
imo, Oregon wasn’t a great team but was underseeded, and above all was a bad matchup for us. They also got a small assist with their first game getting cancelled so they had the first game adrenaline plus that tiniest bit fresher.

Let's look at the present instead of the past, shall we?

2022 assist numbers per 40 minutes:
Jordan Bohannon 2.5
Tony Perkins 3.1
Ahron Ulis 6.4
Joe Toussaint 7.6

Add to that all 3 of those guys are better defenders than Jordan guarding the point position.

Perhaps it is you that should know what you're talking about before you post something idiotic.
What’s your view on the offensive flow since Bohannon took the starting PG slot back? It seems to me that everything is flowing much more smoothly with the current rotations. I don’t know that it means JBo is a better PG, but something about mixing up the rotations certainly seems to be working.

btw, that 2005 team - didn’t they beat Cincinnati up lose to Kentucky in round 2?
No, you might be thinking of 2019 when they beat Cincinnati pretty solidly and then lost in OT to #2 Tennessee in the 2nd round. In 2005, Iowa was the 10 seed and lost to Cincy as the 7.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
ADVERTISEMENT