ADVERTISEMENT

This season's "+1" format a look at the future?

MeetTheFerentz

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2006
This has been a crazy-ass year for all of us. We've all had our opinions about the B1G and how this has been handled, but I think we are all happy to have a football season to look forward to. Hopefully it can be completed as planned in a safe manner.

This unique "+1" format that the conference is instituting during this crazy season is very interesting. I don't think it will be permanent (all teams playing 13 games), but it got me thinking about B1G scheduling.,

I hate the current cross-over scheduling format the B1G has implemented. Iowa gets 6 straight against PSU and then 6 straight against Rutgers. I've always thought that there could be a way to make the 3rd crossover game weighted and based on the previous year's standings. This would accomplish multiple things: 1) Avoids the monotony of being stuck playing the same cross-division rival so much, when there are only so many chances to play those teams in the first place; 2) Ensures more head-to-head matchups between the elite programs, making for more interesting games; 3) Allows the lesser programs to have an easier schedule, perhaps giving them a better chance to pick up that 6th win.

I don't think the scheduling would be that difficult. There could be a regular rotation of games between 2 cross division rivals (one cycle that would include H-H with each cross division rival would take 7 years). The 9th game on each team's schedule could be listed years in advance as "Cross-Division Home Game" or "Cross-Division Road Game" - these games would obviously need to be scheduled the same week for everyone. Of course there would be times when schools who both finished the same in the standings are already on each other's schedule, so there would have to be an objective way of sorting that out (much like they plan on doing this year).

A quick look at Iowa's schedule since '16, which has included Penn St each year (all loses, but beside the point). Under this format, Iowa's opponents would instead have been 2016 -MSU (BTCG rematch), 2017 - OSU (already on schedule, so may have been PSU or MI), 2018 - Michigan, 2019 - MiSU, 2020 - Michigan. Still a lot of the same teams, but compare that to our future 6-year run with Rutgers...

The only disadvantage I see to this format is the guarantee of H-H series with each cross-division rival every 7 years instead of every 6. However, the message would be clear to programs who are struggling but want more desirable cross-division matchups more often - Get better.

Anyway, just something I've been thinking about and thought would be worth a discussion. It's hard to find a thread that is not "Kevin Warren this" or "Trump that" or "Fake virus this" or "ISU/Minn/Neb that," so thought I'd try something different.

It’s an interesting twist this year, for sure. I don’t like it long term though. I like keeping championship Saturday to just the title games themselves. Showcases them as de facto national quarterfinals in many cases, as with Hawks-MSU in 2015.

Yes, I realize I’m probably in the minority on this one.

It’s an interesting twist this year, for sure. I don’t like it long term though. I like keeping championship Saturday to just the title games themselves. Showcases them as de facto national quarterfinals in many cases, as with Hawks-MSU in 2015.

Cool. Now read what I actually posted.

The league isn't going to tie their scheduling to a one-year window.
1 game out of 9? Obviously a lot easier to match up the same 2 teams for 6 straight years, but a flexible 9th game would be just as easy to schedule, only requiring that it be scheduled on the same weekend for all teams. I don't know why this would be such a complicated process that would disturb the league so much.

As fun as the 2 v. 2, 3 v. 3, etc. West/East matchups on Championship Weekend will be, don't see it happening in a normal year. Not sure teams in those 2 spots from both divisions will want to risk a major bowl demotion by losing to one of the 3 spot winners. Could get messy.

As fun as the 2 v. 2, 3 v. 3, etc. West/East matchups on Championship Weekend will be, don't see it happening in a normal year. Not sure teams in those 2 spots from both divisions will want to risk a major bowl demotion by losing to one of the 3 spot winners. Could get messy.
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

I'm sure no coach would want this, but why not. Make the first game of the year at a neutral site based on the prior year standing. Schedule them outside of B1G territory in an NFL stadium prior to their season. The league gets meaningful games, some guaranteed high profile games, kind of a bowl game atmosphere for fans all with plenty of time to arrange travel. All that needs to happen is everyone give up a home game. Nevermind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT