ADVERTISEMENT

This sounds even worse, regarding Warren

Take a look at the difference in how Bob Bowlsby has handled the situation compared to Warren, and the difference in Bowlsby's public statements about the process and decision compared to Warren's statements. And I'm no Bowlsby fan (firing Dr Tom lost me for Bowlsby). But you can't deny the difference has been night and day, as has the decision. Probably not a coincidence.

In the bigger picture Bowlsby has generally done a good job running that conference and seems to have grown since his Iowa days. As we have started to see in this situation who you have at the top running the conference really matters. While Delany at times seemed all about the money he moved the conference forward especially in securing the tv contracts that he did. I see the Big 10 regressing under the current leadership which seems a shame after all the progress we have made.

In the bigger picture Bowlsby has generally done a good job running that conference and seems to have grown since his Iowa days. As we have started to see in this situation who you have at the top running the conference really matters. While Delany at times seemed all about the money he moved the conference forward especially in securing the tv contracts that he did. I see the Big 10 regressing under the current leadership which seems a shame after all the progress we have made.

You don't have to wait for the future for the B1G to regress. It was just a few short years ago that the Big 12 appeared on life support, while the B1G was cementing it's position as the premiere collegiate athletic conference. Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, and TX A&M were all fleeing for greener pastures, while the B1G was expanding and raking in massive revenue. Today, I'd say the Big 12 is at least as strong in terms of the overall health of the conference, and probably stronger.

You're right that the pain is likely to become even more pronounced over time, but make no mistake, substantial regression has already arrived.

Take a look at the difference in how Bob Bowlsby has handled the situation compared to Warren, and the difference in Bowlsby's public statements about the process and decision compared to Warren's statements. And I'm no Bowlsby fan (firing Dr Tom lost me for Bowlsby). But you can't deny the difference has been night and day, as has the decision. Probably not a coincidence.
Davis? Please. He was barely .500 in the Big 10 after departure of Raveling's recruits.
Re/ the OW story, I'd like to see Barta address the specifics of the vote. It's significant that Moos, and his superiors, are again going after Warren and the Big Ten, though in an indirect/passive way. Moos/UNL must sense that Warren's situation is precarious.

You don't have to wait for the future for the B1G to regress. It was just a few short years ago that the Big 12 appeared on life support, while the B1G was cementing it's position as the premiere collegiate athletic conference. Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, and TX A&M were all fleeing for greener pastures, while the B1G was expanding and raking in massive revenue. Today, I'd say the Big 12 is at least as strong in terms of the overall health of the conference, and probably stronger.

You're right that the pain is likely to become even more pronounced over time, but make no mistake, substantial regression has already arrived.

What is your criteria for deeming the B12 as “at least as strong in term of the overall health of the conference, and probably stronger”?

Warren may be the scapegoat but he is also the commissioner. He handled the communication which has been a disaster. He is refusing to meet or even acknowledge the parents and players which is also a disaster. He also has made statements about the situation and not be willing to revisit things as more information becomes available which is unforgivable. He is also not being forthcoming or transparent about the process that was followed and forcing people to file foia requests or bring lawsuits which is also unforgivable.

The presidents need to own the process and the decisions each of them made as well as the collective outcome. If for example we have been told Bruce Harreld voted to keep the season but it turns out not to be true and instead he was complacent or was pushing for cancellation we need to know that as does our board of regents. Same for the other schools and their states.

Certainly true that we've had some seasons as mediocre (or worse) as under Davis. Certainly true that Davis was mediocre.

Actually, we've had 3 coaches over a 20 year time span since Davis departed, and not a one has reached Davis winning % (nor did many pre-Davis).

Reactions: grayhair81
Uh yeah, probably the main reason. Leftest don't care about anything other than stopping trump from getting re-elected and they'll do whatever it takes to make sure it doesn't happen.
If Leftist means intelligent caring people...that care about our future as a country and as a planet....THEN COUNT ME IN!!!

Anything to get the pathological elitist draft dodging liar Trump removed from office ..HE IS UNHINGED....most sane old school Republicans will agree with me on that!!!!!

If Leftist means intelligent caring people...that care about our future as a country and as a planet....THEN COUNT ME IN!!!

Anything to get the pathological elitist draft dodging liar Trump removed from office ..HE IS UNHINGED....most sane old school Republicans will agree with me on that!!!!!

I'm no Trump fan, but if you're an intelligent caring person, then you respect the rights of individuals to make decisions for themselves that reflect their own unique circumstances and values.

Freedom is not a magic bullet to end crime or poverty or man's inhumanity to man (or a virus). It only puts decision-making in the hands of the right people (each individual) who make decsisions for the right reasons. Nonetheless, it invaraibly results in less of these ills, and often much less.

As a result, while it may be true that being a left-wing authoritarian is no worse (or better) than being a right-wing authoritarian, being an authoritarian of any stripe is disastrous.

Lol, wow. Do you have eyes in that head of yours. You evidently don't see that the left are the idiots rioting and burning and beating the shit out of people just because they feel like it. Are these the loving/caring dipsticks you are talking about and stand with?? My lord some people are so dense

Oh and they don't care about this country either

You went awry at "if".... for example: if walnuts were high performance fighter aircraft the military could save a lot of money.

And the only thing unhinged is the state Trump has put you and the Left into.

Davis remains mediocre.

You think it's really a strange coincidence that none since and few previous have done as well as Davis did?

I mean, it couldn't be that Iowa's inherent resources in men's basketball remain less than mediocre in comparison to the resources available at the B1G institutions Davis was competing against, yet Davis was able to elevate the performance of the program to a level that exceeded those resources, right?

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
A great start, care to follow up with more?

How's about; disunity, anger and dissension amongst Big Ten schools....parent's and players outraged over their conference leadership's hidden decision making process...and finally, exposing the B1G's inability to influence other conference's into following their lead.

Frankly, none of those items were the case under Delaney. And THEN you can add in the missing revenue piece.

A great start, care to follow up with more?

If you go from generating significantly more revenue to generating significantly less, is more evidence really necessary? I mean, once upon a time Sears generated considerably more revenue than Walmart. Not so much any more. Maybe that's evidence that the health of Walmart has supassed the health of Sears?

Reactions: desihawk
You think it's really a strange coincidence that none since and few previous have done as well as Davis did?

I mean, it couldn't be that Iowa's inherent resources in men's basketball remain less than mediocre in comparison to the resources available at the B1G institutions Davis was competing against, yet Davis was able to elevate the performance of the program to a level that exceeded those resources, right?
So why is FM's team in top 10 preseason? Because he is not mediocre.

If you go from generating significantly more revenue to generating significantly less, is more evidence really necessary? I mean, once upon a time Sears generated considerably more revenue than Walmart. Not so much any more. Maybe that's evidence that the health of Walmart has supassed the health of Sears?

In 1969 I interviewed for a job with Sears’ PR dept. the following day they were going to announce the construction of Sears Tower. I turned them down, got a job in TV, we no the Big Ten offices and in 1973 went to K Mart’s HQ in Troy, Mi. They told me they would surpass Sears as the nation’s number one retailer. They did, but by 1977 I was with the Bulls and the NBA marketing people found that Walmart was becoming the number one retailer and they did. Today Amazon is the number one retailer and they own warehouses, but have little retail presence. Fifty one years of retail in the U.S.

So why is FM's team in top 10 preseason? Because he is not mediocre.

Mostly because he had the good fortune of finding a 3* recruit that turned into the best player in college basketball. But Davis also had top 10 preseason teams. Of course as you pointed out with Davis, a top 10 preseason ranking is not exactly the entire body of work.

And while I think it would be dumb to fire FM now, the fact remains that TD's body of work when he was fired actually exceeds FM's body of work at present. In other words, firing FM would be dumb now, and firing TD was dumber then. And the ensuing results are clear evidence.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
In 1969 I interviewed for a job with Sears’ PR dept. the following day they were going to announce the construction of Sears Tower. I turned them down, got a job in TV, we no the Big Ten offices and in 1973 went to K Mart’s HQ in Troy, Mi. They told me they would surpass Sears as the nation’s number one retailer. They did, but by 1977 I was with the Bulls and the NBA marketing people found that Walmart was becoming the number one retailer and they did. Today Amazon is the number one retailer and they own warehouses, but have little retail presence. Fifty one years of retail in the U.S.

Actually, Amazon is the #1 e-commerce retailer, and the faastest growing overall retailer, but Walmart remains the #1 retailer. And by a pretty wide margin at that.

Mostly because he had the good fortune of finding a 3* recruit that turned into the best player in college basketball. But Davis also had top 10 preseason teams. Of course as you pointed out with Davis, a top 10 preseason ranking is not exactly the entire body of work.

And while I think it would be dumb to fire FM now, the fact remains that TD's body of work when he was fired actually exceeds FM's body of work at present. In other words, firing FM would be dumb now, and firing TD was dumber then. And the ensuing results are clear evidence.
If you subtract the first three seasons of TD's tenure (Raveling's players) and the first of FM's tenure (the Lickliter detritus), Fran's Big Ten record is slightly better. But it's basically a draw.

Look, it's hard to dialogue with anyone who liked Davis' style: a press that was easily shredded by good teams, constant rotation of players. A typical game against top-tier Big Ten teams was Iowa going down by 20, the other team losing interest, Iowa continuing to press, and losing by 6 to 8. Unwatchable. Plus, Davis' reputation as a lazy recruiter is well-established. No need to rehash.

Bowlsby's reputation as one of the smartest people in college sports is also well-established.

If you subtract the first three seasons of TD's tenure (Raveling's players) and the first of FM's tenure (the Lickliter detritus), Fran's Big Ten record is slightly better. But it's basically a draw.

Look, it's hard to dialogue with anyone who liked Davis' style: a press that was easily shredded by good teams, constant rotation of players. A typical game against top-tier Big Ten teams was Iowa going down by 20, the other team losing interest, Iowa continuing to press, and losing by 6 to 8. Unwatchable. Plus, Davis' reputation as a lazy recruiter is well-established. No need to rehash.

Bowlsby's reputation as one of the smartest people in college sports is also well-established.

It's even harder to have a dialogue with someone who needs to create these tortured comparisons.

Take this stupid political idiocy to the off topic board.

Is it beyond reason to imagine that University Presidents of the Big Ten would cancel a college football season, leaving hundreds of millions of dollars on the table, in a clandestine effort to connect in voters’ minds President Trump’s failed response to COVID-19 to there being no college football? No, it is not. In fact, I guarantee this was discussed in some capacity amongst the group, whether officially or in side conversations.

However, it was almost certainly not a major determining factor. Whether you agree with the decision or not, I genuinely trust the Presidents made the decision based on the advice received from their medical and legal consultants. Only time will tell if they were correct in abruptly cancelling the season instead of playing and seeing what happens.

The way I look at it: Most University Presidents don’t prioritize collegiate sports. It’s a splash in the bucket. Most could care less. Sure, it brings $100 million a year to the university... but all that goes back into the athletics department.

These people have 100 more important things to worry about.

And as for Mr. Warren: He clearly is willing to take punches for the University Presidents. Guess why? Because when Roger Goodell retires, he can go to NFL owners and say “I can do the same for you as the next NFL Commissioner.”
LOL.

You just said Presidents wouldn't base their decision to cancel due to politics and then you said Presidents don't give a shit about the sport and it's a drop in the bucket which in essence means making a political decision to cancel the season makes perfect sense if you're trying to harm the image of the bad orange man and blame the virus on him

You are very typical.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
Uh yeah, probably the main reason. Leftest don't care about anything other than stopping trump from getting re-elected and they'll do whatever it takes to make sure it doesn't happen.
I'm on the left and would do quite a bit to keep Trump from being president. I wouldn't **** with young men's lives, however.

Sounds like you confirmed what Kurt said.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT