ADVERTISEMENT

This staff & defensive recruiting…

Iowa's offensive strategy is defense.
Iowa's offensive AND defensive strategy is consistent with what talent it can consistently recruit.

If Iowa were to field the sort of O that Oklahoma or Ohio State utilize ... and then try to play that style of ball against them ... we'd lose every time!

Their D would "out-athlete" our O ... and our D would likely never get off the field. That's not a winning recipe.

Instead, we play a brand of ball that limits the number of possessions for BOTH teams. Our D may still be stuck on the field a good bit ... but the deliberate tempo of our O will still keep them off the field for some while. Furthermore, by featuring OL play that typically is decent ... to complement multi-TE sets ... that tends to dictate things to opposing Ds. It also often gives us some mismatches that we can use to move the ball ... helping us to flip field-position. Combine that with special teams that kicks field goals and celebrates the motto "punting is winning" ... that helps Iowa to keep games close.

The end result of all this ... the Hawks still place an enormous premium on making sure that we keep the defense well-stocked personnel-wise. A strong defense is a requisite for the strategy that we implement to win games.

Been told the defensive side talent reminds coaches of 2009 which was loaded with NFL talent in the two deeps.
15-20 guys on that side will cash NFL checks someday. Not many first day guys but loads of second and third day guys.
I could see that. Really loading up now.

I'm sorry but CJ is most certainly a current player. He's on a roster and getting paid, and he's one injury from starting in the league, and he's started games. I don't see how you can call that, "not sniffing the field". Sarge played some last season for the Raiders I believe, so again, he's certainly had a sniff......
lots of guys are on rosters and getting paid. CJ isn't getting the respect he deserves, again thats my op. CJ played a little when the starter was out, not much if at all since. But we can 🍒 pick all day..

Iowa's offensive AND defensive strategy is consistent with what talent it can consistently recruit.

If Iowa were to field the sort of O that Oklahoma or Ohio State utilize ... and then try to play that style of ball against them ... we'd lose every time!

Their D would "out-athlete" our O ... and our D would likely never get off the field. That's not a winning recipe.

Instead, we play a brand of ball that limits the number of possessions for BOTH teams. Our D may still be stuck on the field a good bit ... but the deliberate tempo of our O will still keep them off the field for some while. Furthermore, by featuring OL play that typically is decent ... to complement multi-TE sets ... that tends to dictate things to opposing Ds. It also often gives us some mismatches that we can use to move the ball ... helping us to flip field-position. Combine that with special teams that kicks field goals and celebrates the motto "punting is winning" ... that helps Iowa to keep games close.

The end result of all this ... the Hawks still place an enormous premium on making sure that we keep the defense well-stocked personnel-wise. A strong defense is a requisite for the strategy that we implement to win games.

Couldn’t be laid out better & I’ve said for several years. They are recruiting and producing Defensive players at an incredible clip!

Reactions: obfuscating
Dang, if our offense could replicate the defensive success...

Sorry, snapped out of it.

Jacksonville starts the week one preseason game Friday night at 6:00 pm. Maybe we will see some CJ in the second half. Also, he's getting paid 2.5 million again this year, so yeah, he definitely counts.

Jacksonville starts the week one preseason game Friday night at 6:00 pm. Maybe we will see some CJ in the second half. Also, he's getting paid 2.5 million again this year, so yeah, he definitely counts.
A lot of players get paid to hold a clipboard, etc. I want CJ to start, i thi k hes one of the bsst qb to come out of Iowa. The pro coaches think differently.

Its the rope a dope in football.

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
I’ll say this: I’d take Iowa’s stout defense and offensive struggles any day over the classic Texas Tech, Houston, BYUs of college football. Teams that scored 45 points a game but gave up 42. To me that’s not football.

I’ll say this: I’d take Iowa’s stout defense and offensive struggles any day over the classic Texas Tech, Houston, BYUs of college football. Teams that scored 45 points a game but gave up 42. To me that’s not football.
Yeah ... I care good defenses. I like seeing that battling between guys in the trenches. I like seeing the cat-and-mouse play between the O and the D.

With teams that are all about the O ... they often then rely more upon high-pressure Ds ... and that can bring with it high risk. Given that we're talking about college players ... only very rarely does it bring high reward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
ADVERTISEMENT