ADVERTISEMENT

This sums up what most of us think

Agree. but it its the lack of improvement during the course of the year that would be the big factor in the termination. They aren't getting any better. Now...maybe it's because they don't have the talent to improve but these guys weren't rated that poorly as recruits. This is about the lack of development-physical improvement and technique/coaching. Unless there is a change in recruiting philosophy (using the portal) we are looking at a 3 year window of crap on the oline...the fact that they needed to pull a dline guy over to the oline and he immediately starts is telling...this is a roster management issue and it rests at the feet of the man at the top.
agree here as well--it is amazing how many times other d linemen give our guys a fake and then blow right by them and we do not even touch them.
We have also seen these delayed blitzes the last 2 weeks where the backer sits until the center and guard double down and then they blow right into the backfield. I think we will see other teams doing this to us a lot once they see the film.
Almost seems our guys are trying to process so much they are paralyzed--

Two things we already knew were hammered home during Ohio State's 54-10 dismantling of Iowa in Columbus on Saturday.
  1. First, the Buckeyes are pretty darn good on both sides of the ball, even when they don't play their best game.
  2. Second, Iowa offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz needs to be fired, and it's puzzling why it hasn't already happened.
    While the Buckeyes have been tremendously improved on defense under first-year coordinator Jim Knowles, Iowa was pathetic on offense, no matter who played quarterback. Despite a scoop-and-score touchdown by the Hawkeyes, they didn't do anything else on the scoreboard aside from a field goal.
    While Ohio State wasn't as explosive as we're used to seeing against Iowa's normally stingy secondary, the Buckeyes were plenty good enough to continue looking like the Big Ten's best team and one of the top teams in the nation.
    The Buckeyes defense proved Ferentz's continued employment looks like the product of nepotism under his father and head coach Kirk Ferentz. The Hawkeyes were 1-of-13 on third-down conversions, mustered just 158 total yards and turned the ball over six times.

Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud wound up getting his, too, finishing with 286 passing yards and four touchdowns. It was a largely uneven performance for the junior star signal-caller, who threw an interception, misfired on a few balls early and had a fumble returned for a touchdown.
    But he proved he's one of the nation's top playmakers, dissecting Iowa throughout the second half on his way to putting up quality numbers in a runaway win. The Buckeyes just keep marching onward ahead of next week's big battle with Penn State in Happy Valley”
We were sacked 5 times and actually out rushed Ohio State. 6 different players caught balls. The Taylor sneak was a trick play everyone in the B1G knew was coming sooner or later, we just chose to use it from our 25 yard line instead of the 50.

The scheme was workable if the players executed. It was loud at field level and a lot of young pups and first timers in that environment.

Yesterday’s problem was this:

6 turnovers

I’ll say it again:

6 turnovers

agree here as well--it is amazing how many times other d linemen give our guys a fake and then blow right by them and we do not even touch them.
We have also seen these delayed blitzes the last 2 weeks where the backer sits until the center and guard double down and then they blow right into the backfield. I think we will see other teams doing this to us a lot once they see the film.
Almost seems our guys are trying to process so much they are paralyzed--

Wisconsin has been destroying Iowa for years with delayed blitzes, even back when BF was O-line coach.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
Wisconsin has been destroying Iowa for years with delayed blitzes, even back when BF was O-line coach.

The Iowa game at Wisconsin after the OSU blowout had to be one of the most embarrassing/pitiful offensive
performances of all time but with KF, there are a lot of pitiful offensive games to choose from.

KF has never bought into fact that in today's college game, you need a mobile QB and you have to be willing to run him..All these Read-Pass-Option offenses start with premise that your QB might take off on a designed run or beat the blitz/pass rush with his feet and make a big play downfield.

It hasn't happened because KF doesn't want his grandchildren moving away from Iowa City.
Bingo. Kirk Ferentz is a dim witted man when it comes to quite a few things but he's wise enough to not cross Mary on this one. She has stated in interviews how important having the grandkids nearby is to her.....at this point that is much more important to the Ferentz family than anything involving the football program that has given them generational wealth. At this point we are all just pawns in their plan to extract as much money from the University as they possibly can. Thanks, Gary

We were sacked 5 times and actually out rushed Ohio State. 6 different players caught balls. The Taylor sneak was a trick play everyone in the B1G knew was coming sooner or later, we just chose to use it from our 25 yard line instead of the 50.

The scheme was workable if the players executed. It was loud at field level and a lot of young pups and first timers in that environment.

6 turnovers

I’ll say it again:

6 turnovers
but these turnovers are becoming more prevalent the longer BF is OC--plus all but two of the TO were self inflicted by our poor play by QB(2 INT where he threw it right to them) both QB fumbles were weak---the deflected pass was bad luck but if AP was not getting trucked he might have threw if more accurately--
also--just because you play a lot as a soph does not mean you will improve in your jr or sen years--I see a few more issues with the OL than just being green....
we are becoming ISU---letting punts hit on the 12 and roll to the 1---fielding punts at the 6 when there is only 1 opposing player in front of you---dropping snaps--dropping passes--it is a comedy of errors.
the Taylor play was not called--it was a read and he read it right--they closed faster than he was ready for plus we had a guy right there if he would just have blocked the dude,,,,,this play was what I call a 7th TO.

everyone who actually feels this way has no appreciation for what these players go though to play the game. it’s evidently more important for you all to feed your own egos. appears you are only hawk fans when it suits your purpose.
If you've ever played anything outside your back yard, you would realize that, if the wheels continue to come off, nobody will be longing for this season to end more than the players themselves. No, they may never admit that publicly, but those of us who have played on teams like this version of the Hawkeyes know that you can't keep fooling yourself forever. Eventually reality can no longer be ignored.

but these turnovers are becoming more prevalent the longer BF is OC--plus all but two of the TO were self inflicted by our poor play by QB(2 INT where he threw it right to them) both QB fumbles were weak---the deflected pass was bad luck but if AP was not getting trucked he might have threw if more accurately--
also--just because you play a lot as a soph does not mean you will improve in your jr or sen years--I see a few more issues with the OL than just being green....
we are becoming ISU---letting punts hit on the 12 and roll to the 1---fielding punts at the 6 when there is only 1 opposing player in front of you---dropping snaps--dropping passes--it is a comedy of errors.
the Taylor play was not called--it was a read and he read it right--they closed faster than he was ready for plus we had a guy right there if he would just have blocked the dude,,,,,this play was what I call a 7th TO.
Understood and mostly agree, but when Kirk says they need to “clean a few things up,” he’s not wrong. But, it is exactly his job to make sure those things are cleaned up and they aren’t. He allowed attrition to happen with the O-Line and not utilize the transfer portal. He allowed a MAJOR talent and experience gap to occur at WR (assumes KJ is transferring and injury is not the issue) and again, no portal consideration. Arland Bruce is going to get abused more and he may decide it’s not worth it for so few touches. Kirk is allowing these personnel gaps to form and that is 100% on him for ultimate responsibility. I am still in the camp that KF and BF are our best bets for staff but I think Barta needs to demand use of the portal while it’s available and relax a bit on their “developmental program mentality” in favor of a “just win baby” mentality.

If you've ever played anything outside your back yard, you would realize that, if the wheels continue to come off, nobody will be longing for this season to end more than the players themselves. No, they may never admit that publicly, but those of us who have played on teams like this version of the Hawkeyes know that you can't keep fooling yourself forever. Eventually reality can no longer be ignored.
ok, so you should ”want” your team to lose. that is what was said in the post I quoted. you are right, I would never admit I just wanted to go through the motions and get the season over with. there is ALWAYS the desired and wanted compition every day and every game. maybe your attitude helped foster your teams play and performance.

6 turnovers

I’ll say it again:

6 turnovers
At least 4 on our own side of the field.....

It's not about just trying to be anything other than the worst........I think its past time to f***ing get this position right. Not just "try" this guy or that guy.

And Budmayr is not the answer.
Well, being something other than better than the worst is the literal first step in improvement. We need to improve right now. Even with some learning pains I cannot see how Joe could be worse than P or P. Will he get flustered and throw mindless interceptions, cuz we already have that? Will he stand like Thomas Jefferson in the Jefferson Memorial as defenders run straight at him, cuz we already have that. Catastrophic fumbles, check. Missing wide open receivers, check.

We're tossing interceptions and losing fumbles deep in our own side of the ball. What could they do worse.

Again, could Budmayr do worse? Not saying this is a long-term solution but it shows the world we are not impervious to change when necessary. It shows the young guys that we are looking to better times ahead. Change now shows a lot.

Not saying this is a long-term solution
Then you don't hire him. You find the right guy for the job.

And let's be clear. Unless the team starts quitting on the staff, a coaching change will not happen in-season.

I don't want another experiment for the next OC, especially one that served as an "analyst" prior to the season where said offense got worse..........................just sayin.

ADVERTISEMENT