ADVERTISEMENT

This Team Has "It"

WWDMHawkeye

HR Heisman
Nov 13, 2014
Some teams have a special chemistry and make-up that enables them to achieve at an unusually high level. This group seems to possess that quality. We've heard about how this bunch is especially tightly knit, and that kind of closeness generally pays off on the field. Plus this defense plays with a unique level of cohesiveness, aggression, and role responsibility that have produced an elite level of performance so far this year. I also think this crew has a level of mental toughness that sets them apart from most Iowa teams -- not that our teams aren't typically mentally tough, but this group just seems like they're on another level.

Only 5 games into the season, this group has gone on the road twice against undefeated opponents where all of the "intangibles" seemed to be against them:
  • ISU: Clones were ranked around #9/10, undefeated, coming off their best season ever with virtually everyone returning, talking CFP, with College Gameday in town, in Jack Trice, everyone outside of Ashton Kutcher and Lee Corso picking ISU to win. I'll admit I had a bad feeling about this one. I've seen lots of good Iowa teams lose in that kind of hostile environment. This group seemed completely unfazed and proceeded to dominate from start to finish, silencing the popular narrative that this was ISU's year.

• Maryland: The Terps come in 4-0, led by Tua's little bro, with an unstoppable offense and speed and talent all over the field, at home, in a virtual sell-out, on national TV, a black-out, with the popular narrative that this would be a statement game for Maryland and that our anemic offense couldn't keep up. Maryland did play well initially, until Phil made some adjustments, our D put the clamps on, and our offense showed the nation they could play some ball. Petras showed tremendous poise and was absolutely money. Kid made almost every throw last night -- even most of his incompletions were right about where they needed to be.
Lesser teams would have struggled in these two environments. This group didn't even bat an eye. They were methodical and wouldn't be denied. We clearly have solid talent up and down the lineup, but this group plays tremendous complimentary football and they're a cohesive group that seems to be on a mission. Granted, Maryland's D isn't top-level, but our O looked pretty formidable last night, and Petras looked outstanding -- like a guy who's prepared to lead a team to a special season. I'm extremely impressed by this Iowa team. Some teams just have "it". This group clearly does. Hang on, folks -- gonna be a great ride.

This is shaping up to be a very special season.

Naturally I hope the Hawks run the table and win the Big 10. However….should they stumble somewhere along the way it will be interesting to see how/if they are able to bounce back. I think they will. Barring major injuries we should be celebrating another double digit win season!

After last night, I really don't see anyone other than Penn State seriously challenging us in the regular season, unless we come out flat.

I'd have thought Wisconsin would be tougher than Penn State, except their QB has been turnover prone and their running game is not dominant this year. I just imagine Graham Mertz against this defense in a game where they can't consistently run for first downs and can't imagine losing that game.

Minnesota seems down. Nebraska sucks. Illinois sucks. Northwestern sucks this year. Purdue only managed 13 points against Illinois.

This team really just needs to kick ass next week and then just keep firing.

You are correct about the team chemistry aspect. I'm old so I followed Iowa before Fry. The years we do well their is great chemistry on the team. (a few good bounces helps also)

Last edited:
Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT