ADVERTISEMENT

This used to be one of the best school districts in Iowa...Bettendorf

Tom Paris

HR King
Oct 1, 2001
I'd love for solutions for this crap from anybody. How do we stop the lunatics from running the asylum? This is the biggest reason why educators are saying the hell with all this.

I'd love for solutions for this crap from anybody. How do we stop the lunatics from running the asylum? This is the biggest reason why educators are saying the hell with all this.

Seriously? Kick the brats out of school. Put a cop in the school and arrest them for fighting and send them to juvy.

JFC, the solution is to be the adult in the room. IDGAF if you have to beat their asses, but do it.

I'm tired of this woke society. If you fail your classes, guess what? You get to make it up in the summer. Oh yeah, if you fail that class you get to repeat the grade.

Why is this so hard?

Seriously? Kick the brats out of school. Put a cop in the school and arrest them for fighting and send them to juvy.

JFC, the solution is to be the adult in the room. IDGAF if you have to beat their asses, but do it.

I'm tired of this woke society. If you fail your classes, guess what? You get to make it up in the summer. Oh yeah, if you fail that class you get to repeat the grade.

Why is this so hard?

There has always been cops around Bettendorf schools.

Reactions: GOHOX69

Why is this so hard?
You'll have trouble believing this but I agree with you completely. We need to figure out how to make public education a privilege and not a right. Since it's a right, families sue to keep their kids in school. Not the families of the "good" kids. It's the families of the ones who cause the disruptions.

It continues to get worse, just as we have predicted for decades.

Educators need to roll up their sleeves and stop posting on HORT all day during the week, I suppose.

“Not the teachers, the administration,” Diercks said. “You don’t want the parents to know what’s going on in that school.”

Herein lies the problem. If my kids were part of the problem, there would be hell to pay when they got home. This is a parental problem of not controlling our children.

Didn't the last head of schools there get fired and sued? Lawsuit is still hanging out there, I believe. She's a wacko from what I heard but got hired even with the outstanding lawsuit.

Sounds horrible. Terrible leadership and a system full of people afraid to do the right thing because of the threat of being punished by some ridiculous lawsuit. Time to find out what's changed in Bettendorf over the last couple of decades to see what can be done.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
“Not the teachers, the administration,” Diercks said. “You don’t want the parents to know what’s going on in that school.”

Herein lies the problem. If my kids were part of the problem, there would be hell to pay when they got home. This is a parental problem of not controlling our children.
I'm in a good school with not a ton of issues, but even our staff thinks things could be better because there's little accountability for negative behaviors. Our 6th graders walk around like they are untouchable. No fear of any consequences and some of that is because momma bear at home defends them to the hilt.

Bingo. Too many suburban WASP parents, especially moms, act like little Trevor or Tyler is so special and can do no wrong.

During the 1980's my father tutored children in Math
and Reading at Armstrong School in Bettendorf.. He
had retired from the Weapons Command at the Rock
Island Arsenal at the age of 57. He wanted to help
children and was well received by the children on
Tuesday and Thursday afternoons . The kids really
liked him. Sad to hear things have changed.

Do you know how often it comes back on teachers when this stuff happenes? Luckily, we haven't had to deal with it a ton in our building but the district has. A sub was fired for putting his hands on a kid while the kids was punching another teacher. Luckily, he was reinstated.

I got "punched" and spit at in the face a few years ago because I didn't let this boy who was failing all of his classes go into a math class to fight a girl. I was just going pee and happened to catch it. Kid was suspended 3 days and I got a "you good?" While the whole time wondering how much trouble I was about to be in for putting my body between the kid and this classroom.

Kid came back, got suspended again. Came back and started a fight within the first hour of school on the last day of school.

It's time for parents and families to really evaluate if their kids belong in school. It's also time to reevaluate the freedoms of public school. If you can't play by the rules or at minimum follow the freaking law, there have to be heavy consequences.

Sounds horrible. Terrible leadership and a system full of people afraid to do the right thing because of the threat of being punished by some ridiculous lawsuit. Time to find out what's changed in Bettendorf over the last couple of decades to see what can be done.
Holy heck - I agree with gonegolfing. Needs to be some radical change, probably to be successful it will require a significant backing by parents.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
We've lost the idea of a society. Back when I was a kid, if you did something stupid in the neighborhood some random adult would yell at you. They might track down your parents. Now, those parents are likely to confront the adult that dared to talk to your kids. Same was true at school. That same random adult that would yell at you would also make sure you were safe and stop you from playing on the train tracks out back. It was part of the social contract.

There was an unwritten rule that you respected adults and they were in charge, even if strangers. Now we have become too tribal.

Last edited:
Handing out participation trophies and using feelings as a moral guide have consequences.

The left doesn't want to hear this.

Maybe if they dropped the hammer instead reacting to the unreasonable requests of emotional unbalanced people, we'd all be better off.

The recent push by the left to have equal disciplinary outcomes along with eliminating school police officers is just making matters worse.

Didn't the last head of schools there get fired and sued? Lawsuit is still hanging out there, I believe. She's a wacko from what I heard but got hired even with the outstanding lawsuit.
No one knows anything about this???

The left doesn't want to hear this.

Maybe if they dropped the hammer instead reacting to the unreasonable requests of emotional unbalanced people, we'd all be better off.

The recent push by the left to have equal disciplinary outcomes along with eliminating school police officers is just making matters worse.
I dont think anyone is saying they shouldnt drop the hammer and discipline these kids, dumbass. More than anything, I would say it is the cons' tribalism and need to "own" anyone that disagrees with them as the place where we should be pointing our fingers.

When parents start acting like children, we shouldnt expect much from the children.

Last edited:
Once again... predictable. Participation trophies is such a tired and stupid scapegoat. In my experience kids that are legitimately behavioral ussually lack attention and love. They arent that way because they were made to feel too good.
He’s not completely off base. More times than not, these problems stem from a sense of entitlement exacerbated by a severe lack of parenting and accountability.

The districts need to fight back. Take out the trash. Courts need to throw out the ridiculous lawsuits. Those parents who refuse to accept responsibility of their children need to be invited to what we called in the military a “blanket party”.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I dont think anyone is saying they shouldnt drop the hammer and discipline these kids, dumbass. More than anything, I would say that cons triablism and need to "own" anyone that disagrees with them is where we should be pointing our fingers.

When parents start acting like children, we shouldnt expect much from the children.

You really believe that "cons triablism and need to "own" anyone that disagrees with them" is the reason for the problems in schools?

Do you have any idea how dumb you sound?

I'm in a good school with not a ton of issues, but even our staff thinks things could be better because there's little accountability for negative behaviors. Our 6th graders walk around like they are untouchable. No fear of any consequences and some of that is because momma bear at home defends them to the hilt.
Why do schools care so much what an individual momma bear thinks? Seems like the priority should be kids getting an education, that includes discipline. Sounds like a breakdown on many levels.

Reactions: rolfey and Chuck C
You really believe that "cons triablism and need to "own" anyone that disagrees with them" is the reason for the problems in schools?

Do you have any idea how dumb you sound?
I live in a very conservative town. Someone putting a flag up with profanity on it would never have happened 10 years ago. I hear people going on tangents about furries and libs and god knows what else. Guess what? Our school has also had an uptick in issues.

Once again, when the parents start acting like kids, dont be surprised when the kids act worse...

I went to IC West. Go trojan condoms. In the 80's we went to Bettendorf for debate. I remember that school well because they had a legit planetarium and discotheque in the school. You can't make this up. I used to wonder how much $$$$ was in Bettendorf.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT