ADVERTISEMENT

This used to be one of the best school districts in Iowa...Bettendorf

My mom grounded me for damn near an entire year because of some shit with my 5th grade teacher. The entire time I swore my innocence and do til this day.

The following year the teacher was fired because she lost it on the students and it became obvious that she was the problem.

We can laugh about it now, but my mom still acts as if it was the right choice. I didnt get by with shit when I was younger.

Yeah, with RARE exceptions if there was an issue I was having with a teacher, my parents usually sided with the teacher. I can think of maybe two or three instances where that didn’t happen, usually because the teacher a couple of times accused me of ignoring her/not paying attention to class, having forgotten that I was partially deaf so I sometimes simply didn’t hear them depending on where they placed me.

Yeah what that kid did to Nau is beyond disgusting. Should have been an immediate expulsion from Bettendorf.
So why didn't the administration take care of it? I don't know the story other than that QC article.

During the 1980's my father tutored children in Math
and Reading at Armstrong School in Bettendorf.. He
had retired from the Weapons Command at the Rock
Island Arsenal at the age of 57. He wanted to help
children and was well received by the children on
Tuesday and Thursday afternoons . The kids really
liked him. Sad to hear things have changed.
1880s***

This is untrue. Admin are on a salary schedule like teachers. Now, not having a job because you suspended to many kids of a certain demographic, being it racial or economic? Yeah, you'll be looking for work. Btw most from Bush II federally.
It should have to be about right and wrong. I loved the nuns because they acted on right and wrong without regard to gender, race, nor social standing.

Reactions: 24 so far
I know for a fact that filing police charges on kids under 12 will do no good.

It's an unavoidable paper trail that you would be trying to build, how would that paper trail do no good? Or is the no good in a sense that nothing will happen?

Eventually a kid is going to really hurt a teacher or another student that ends in hospital bills and a lawsuit. Imagine being an administrator and having it thrown at you that you've disregarded dozens of documented incidents prior to that

Reactions: Tom Paris
No child left behind brotha. It's starting to be slowly corrected but yeah, that was some bad legislation. Right on wrong aren't a ting now it seems. Just filling out the right fors. Republitried to fix public education by making it the DMV and now get to dismantle it because... It's the DMV.

Predictable post from a simpleton.

I actually agree with him and I'm a teacher. I get the idea for students who need it but this mindset has gone into so many students who don't need it. Everyone should get an A regardless of how hard they work or how good of a product they put out. It's really getting pathetic and in the top 5 reasons why I'm feeling burned out right now.

I actually agree with him and I'm a teacher. I get the idea for students who need it but this mindset has gone into so many students who don't need it. Everyone should get an A regardless of how hard they work or how good of a product they put out. It's really getting pathetic and in the top 5 reasons why I'm feeling burned out right now.
And you think the problem is participation trophies? Yeah, I dont and I really question the intelligence of someone who thinks that is a legit explanation. Sorry.

I find it very hard to believe that a first grader getting a trophy for participating in rec t-ball would lead to the downfall of the education system.

Reactions: phantom_204
I know someone who deals with discipline issues in the Davenport school district. Kid got mad at her and said he was going to get a hammer and come back and kill her.
He actually left and came back with a hammer, and was then arrested at the door.
When I talked to her about it, she thought there was a good chance this kid gets killed by gang violence before he would even graduate.
Terrible situation and environment for many kids.

It's an unavoidable paper trail that you would be trying to build, how would that paper trail do no good? Or is the no good in a sense that nothing will happen?

Eventually a kid is going to really hurt a teacher or another student that ends in hospital bills and a lawsuit. Imagine being an administrator and having it thrown at you that you've disregarded dozens of documented incidents prior to that
No good in the sense that nothing will happen to the kid as the police won't do anything. I agree a police report should be filed anyway as it would begin a paper trail.

And you think the problem is participation trophies? Yeah, I dont and I really question the intelligence of someone who thinks that is a legit explanation. Sorry.

I find it very hard to believe that a first grader getting a trophy for participating in rec t-ball would lead to the downfall of the education system.
It’s not the actual trophy. It’s the mindset. Equal results for everyone no matter skill or effort. It teaches kids they should always be the best/on top no matter performance. Which also fails to teach kids how to deal with adversity/failure.

No. It is the 8th grader who is getting rings in a baseball tournament for finishing 3rd out of 4 teams. Yes, I do think it is a problem. Ever since this has been going on kids are getting softer and softer. They don't know what it means to be resilient or work hard... like really work hard.

I had a student ask just three weeks ago that since only 14 of my 31 kids turned in a essay that I let them work on for THREE WEEKS in class that they all deserved an A. An a for turning in their paper on time. Another student was gone when we had a test. I let him finish the test when he came back instead of doing the work. He has since yelled at me how ridiculous it was because he was gone that he should have to make up work. This kid was a starter on my basketball team and when things went wrong it was always everyone else's fault. I have dozens of stories like this from just the last few months.

Again, I know you are getting at students who NEED the pickmeups but stuff like PBIS, no late policy, a million retakes etc are all leading to the participation trophy which is now the letter grade of an A. It means nothing to kids.

It’s not the actual trophy. It’s the mindset. Equal results for everyone no matter skill or effort. It teaches kids they should always be the best/on top no matter performance. Which also fails to teach kids how to deal with adversity/failure.
No, it teaches you to stick with a sport and have fun with your peers. You know why? Because sports at that age are meant to be fun. Even a 1st grader is smart enough to realize a participation trophy doesnt mean 1st place. Why dont you?

Its wild because I have seen the alternative. Parents w/ kids who treat winning like its the most important thing in the world. Contrary to your philosophy, those kids dont ussually end up doing great.

No. It is the 8th grader who is getting rings in a baseball tournament for finishing 3rd out of 4 teams. Yes, I do think it is a problem. Ever since this has been going on kids are getting softer and softer. They don't know what it means to be resilient or work hard... like really work hard.

I had a student ask just three weeks ago that since only 14 of my 31 kids turned in a essay that I let them work on for THREE WEEKS in class that they all deserved an A. An a for turning in their paper on time. Another student was gone when we had a test. I let him finish the test when he came back instead of doing the work. He has since yelled at me how ridiculous it was because he was gone that he should have to make up work. This kid was a starter on my basketball team and when things went wrong it was always everyone else's fault. I have dozens of stories like this from just the last few months.

Again, I know you are getting at students who NEED the pickmeups but stuff like PBIS, no late policy, a million retakes etc are all leading to the participation trophy which is now the letter grade of an A. It means nothing to kids.
Kids arent so stupid to not understand that 3rd is not first.

It sounds like your bball kid has never been held accountable.... I fail to see how that could possibly go back to a plastic trophy he recieved once. It likely has more to do with how his parents and adults in his life treat him.

One thing not mentioned yet is how lol-worthy this is that a mother of 5 went public school shopping and is disappointed in the result

Kids arent so stupid to not understand that 3rd is not first.

It sounds like your bball kid has never been held accountable.... I fail to see how that could possibly go back to a plastic trophy he recieved once. It likely has more to do with how his parents and adults in his life treat him.

Again, it's not the physical trophy, it's the ideology.

Again, it's not the physical trophy, it's the ideology.
The fact that you think the ideology behind the plastic trophy is so dangerous is the funny part. Be a better teacher and hold the bball kid accountable. Dont blame it on something that happened in elementary school.

If you don't discipline anybody, the inevitable is all hell breaking loose. This is what the Libbies call "equality". You asked for it, you got it. Quit bitching about all the horrible shit you create and enjoy it, you deserve it.

I'd love for solutions for this crap from anybody. How do we stop the lunatics from running the asylum? This is the biggest reason why educators are saying the hell with all this.

Yowsa, that sounds very serious. Solutions?

Call a parental meeting and lay down the law. Parents need to first instill respect for authority and some modicum of good behavior. Three strike policy and rigorous enforcement by school staff...SUPPORTED by parents!

Just a couple of basic things...but a combination of poorly disciplined kids and admins who "swallow their whistle" is a perfect formula for chaos as described.

Shitty, lazy parents are probably 85% of the reason for teacher turnover or leaving the profession altogether
Parents want to blame teachers rather than admit fault. Students realize teachers can't physically restrain kids and there are no ramifications.

Parents want to control curriculum and this is the offshoot of handcuffing the school system.

Welcome to the GOP agenda where, in Iowa, the Iowa Governor wants to push school vouchers and allowing public schools to suffer. Just look at the crap Reynolds pushed with the Ankeny Board of Education last Fall.

Superintendents typically last about 3-5 years at any one school system before they move on.

Why anyone would want to become an educator right now is beyond me.

There's "burnout" at every level.

It’s not that easy. The person i mentioned has gone to kid’s houses that skipped school, and finds them in a drug filled disaster zone. The parents don’t care. The kids don’t care.
Some people can’t be reached in any traditional way.

Not excusing their behavior at school, but if they’re acting like this at school, I can only imagine what’s happening at home.
FWIW, one my sons was a teacher and once when he was appealing to the parents of particularly poor behaving student of his to provide some sort of penalty at home for their kids poor behavior at school, the dad said, "If you have any ideas about what we can do be sure to share them with us...".

Um yeah...it's called a spanking, only he was probably 10 years too late. Lots of people suck as parents and they are OK with it. It needs to not be okay to tolerate brats.

If you don't discipline anybody, the inevitable is all hell breaking loose. This is what the Libbies call "equality". You asked for it, you got it. Quit bitching about all the horrible shit you create and enjoy it, you deserve it.
Predictably you always have someone else to blame for all the things wrong in the world, and it’s never someone you agree with politically. You’re a broken record that never has a constructive thing to add to the conversation here.

Here’s a clue, this problem has zero to do with politics although everything in your world is always political. Perhaps that’s part of your problem?

Does anybody know how quickly this happened? Like... night and day difference with 6th graders in the span of a few years? Or has this been brewing for years before hitting this point?

Any big changes to the economics status of Bettendorf area? Any big demographics shift?

(I always thought it was the most affluent area in QC)

High School "grade inflation" has been an issue for decades......I can remember back when I was doing some school work "grade inflation" was a HUGE issue in West Des Moines....a district that I believe is strikingly similar to what Bettendorf is in the Quad Cities. Kids would sit on their butts all semester long and not do anything, then about finals week they (and their parents) would be on teacher's asses about "extra credit" for more points and higher grades. Shamefully, the administration would cave to the parental demands about 9 times out of 10.....It really put the teachers in a bad (and embarrassing) position.....

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Does anybody know how quickly this happened? Like... night and day difference with 6th graders in the span of a few years? Or has this been brewing for years before hitting this point?

Any big changes to the economics status of Bettendorf area? Any big demographics shift?

These things don't happen over night.....slowly and almost imperceptively at first, but steadily,,,,,like mortgage interest....doesn't sound like much but over time, it adds up!

FWIW, one my sons was a teacher and once when he was appealing to the parents of particularly poor behaving student of his to provide some sort of penalty at home for their kids poor behavior at school, the dad said, "If you have any ideas about what we can do be sure to share them with us...".

Um yeah...it's called a spanking, only he was probably 10 years too late. Lots of people suck as parents and they are OK with it. It needs to not be okay to tolerate brats.

Generational deterioration in parenting skills? Or something more? You imagine most of this stuff is just passed on down. Perhaps we phased out something like spanking without generating a good replacement.

(kind of analogous to religion - yeah, pretty flawed, but it served a useful purpose for many people and that purpose hasn't been fulfilled elsewhere yet)

I think PV ended up taking a piece of the pie from Bettendorf, and the west end of Bettendorf is in the decline from what I can see. They also pushed out some decent people in the school system because their top priority wasn’t sports.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
Parents want to blame teachers rather than admit fault. Students realize teachers can't physically restrain kids and there are no ramifications.

Parents want to control curriculum and this is the offshoot of handcuffing the school system.

Welcome to the GOP agenda where, in Iowa, the Iowa Governor wants to push school vouchers and allowing public schools to suffer. Just look at the crap Reynolds pushed with the Ankeny Board of Education last Fall.

Superintendents typically last about 3-5 years at any one school system before they move on.

Why anyone would want to become an educator right now is beyond me.

There's "burnout" at every level.
Your opinions are known trash. This one is no exception. Stick to your fascination with the clones and being the most uninformed person on the wrestling board.

It’s not that easy. The person i mentioned has gone to kid’s houses that skipped school, and finds them in a drug filled disaster zone. The parents don’t care. The kids don’t care.
Some people can’t be reached in any traditional way.

That's what makes these such tricky issues to analyze. Probably a multitude of problems upstream that these problems flow from.

It was, now it’s Pleasant Valley.

I think PV ended up taking a piece of the pie from Bettendorf, and the west end of Bettendorf is in the decline from what I can see. They also pushed out some decent people in the school system because their top priority wasn’t sports.
My daughter’s robotics team has state regionals at PV this past year. Very nice school.

Reactions: Moral
It was, now it’s Pleasant Valley.
So are we talking more poor to working class white demographic now in Bettendorf?

You have the delinquent parenting angle that you'd usually associate with that demographic, and then the problem more often found with (more) affluent parents with the "my kid can do no wrong" syndrome.

Or maybe that's over simplifying things...

Your opinions are known trash. This one is no exception. Stick to your fascination with the clones and being the most uninformed person on the wrestling board.
You mad, bro?

You and "23" should get a room.

Exactly which post or comment of yours did I shoot down that made you so angry?

Last edited:
So are we talking more poor to working class white demographic now in Bettendorf?

You have the delinquent parenting angle that you'd usually associate with that demographic, and then the problem more often found with (more) affluent parents with the "my kid can do no wrong" syndrome.

Or maybe that's over simplifying things...
Compared to the rest of the QC, Bettendorf is still likely on average above the median overall but PV is certainly above Bettendorf by probably an even larger margin. Racial makeup of the various schools, I’m not sure. May be able to find that data out there.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT