ADVERTISEMENT

This used to be one of the best school districts in Iowa...Bettendorf

The fact that you think the ideology behind the plastic trophy is so dangerous is the funny part. Be a better teacher and hold the bball kid accountable. Dont blame it on something that happened in elementary school.

I said it was one of many examples and many reasons. I also held the kid accountable. I didn't change his grade and I pointed out his faults in basketball. Not sure where you saw I didn't. I think you are getting way too hung up on "the plastic trophy" and I am fine with little kids (below 4th grade) getting them. It is the entitled philosophy that everyone should get an A for showing up that is a problem.

I won't argue anymore. You obviously don't agree with my stance and I am trying to tell you what I see. If you are teaching/coaching both junior high and high school kids everyday while seeing something different, that's fine. Enjoy your evening. (No sarcasm).

Reactions: schraderj and hwk23
From what I understand a teammate masterbated on the bus and smeared the results on the kid’s face and mouth.
Dude…what in the actual f***? The perpetrator is lucky the victim didn’t use his bat on him as revenge. That’s absolutely ridiculous and that kid needs an alternative school.

You mad, bro?

You and "23" should get a room.

Exactly which post or comment of yours did I shoot down that made you so angry?
I'm not sure who 23 is but you are just very uneducated and not real bright. A quick look at your posting history is evidence of that. Didn't you claim to beat up some dude at a political rally or something in small town iowa? You are all over the place old man. Get a hobby.

Does anybody know how quickly this happened? Like... night and day difference with 6th graders in the span of a few years? Or has this been brewing for years before hitting this point?

Any big changes to the economics status of Bettendorf area? Any big demographics shift?

(I always thought it was the most affluent area in QC)
It has been brewing and continually getting worse for decades. We have so many kids VAPING IN CLASS at various schools in my district and all teachers can do is tell them to put it away! WTAF?!?!

Compared to the rest of the QC, Bettendorf is still likely on average above the median overall but PV is certainly above Bettendorf by probably an even larger margin. Racial makeup of the various schools, I’m not sure. May be able to find that data out there.
I would think that PV would be compared to Waukee...or SE Polk here in the DSM area....Fair assessment??

Gee. I wonder where the kids get it from. Some of the “adults” on this board sound like some of the kids in that article, immediately turning a discussion into a combative and personal argument. Politics are the kindling rather than whatever trivial 8th grade subject turns up the heat in the hallways.

SMH

I think you are getting way too hung up on "the plastic trophy" and I am fine with little kids (below 4th grade) getting them. It is the entitled philosophy that everyone should get an A for showing up that is a problem.
You fail to account for how aware kids are of hierarchy.... if you think kids are patting themselves on the back for showing up, you are wrong. Every kid knows which of their peers was the best regardless of the award recieved.

Herein lies the problem. If my kids were part of the problem, there would be hell to pay when they got home. This is a parental problem of not controlling our children.

Exactly this. When I read that "6th graders have skipped 100s of classes, because they were "roaming the halls"". You had better be notifying me the first time it happens. It won't be happening again, that much I can assure you. I'll take a week of PTO and go to class with them.

Gee. I wonder where the kids get it from. Some of the “adults” on this board sound like some of the kids in that article, immediately turning a discussion into a combative and personal argument. Politics are the kindling rather than whatever trivial 8th grade subject turns up the heat in the hallways.

SMH

Ironic

Its true.

The entire education system is completely the fault of the libs and trophies. The other half of the population is blameless and has been OUTSMARTED and BEATEN INTO SUBMISSION by the libs for DECADES.

Its really rather pathetic.
I know you meant this post in jest but it is actually true, except for the part about the right being blameless. They let this happen because the were weak.

Just a reflection of society as a whole. We’re more individualistic, greater sense of entitlement, lowered sense of accountability.

We see it at all levels of society. And we often celebrate it. Think kids don’t notice?
We're not allowed to be individualistic in America. We're forced into compliance by compulsory taxation and other governmental means of manipulation.

89e31dd67a38b672.jpg

I'm not sure who 23 is but you are just very uneducated and not real bright. A quick look at your posting history is evidence of that. Didn't you claim to beat up some dude at a political rally or something in small town iowa? You are all over the place old man. Get a hobby.
Beat up some guy at a political rally???????????????????????????????

WTF

You're either senile or have me mixed up with someone else. And if you're triggered by my opinions... put me on ignore.

I'm not "all over the place". I've been consistent in my criticism of selfish, backward Republican policies for decades.

Please put me on ignore.

We're not allowed to be individualistic in America. We're forced into compliance by compulsory taxation and other governmental means of manipulation.
Gotcha. So you prolly also think rules in schools are forced compliance, too.

You illustrate perfectly my point.

Reactions: Moral
You’re not very bright, Warrior. To be illustrative of my point, it matters not whether you agree or disagree with my point.
Listen, I'm an individualist and a small community advocate. You can take your collectivist, compulsory participation in the failed American experiment and shove it up your arse.

Seriously? Kick the brats out of school. Put a cop in the school and arrest them for fighting and send them to juvy.

JFC, the solution is to be the adult in the room. IDGAF if you have to beat their asses, but do it.

I'm tired of this woke society. If you fail your classes, guess what? You get to make it up in the summer. Oh yeah, if you fail that class you get to repeat the grade.

Why is this so hard?
Poor faculty and board leadership.

It's funny to me how some of the softest, snowflake, and "trying to lead by wokeness" school administrations are typically the districts with the most issues (i.e. poor student conduct, bullying, racism etc).

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
I live in a very conservative town. Someone putting a flag up with profanity on it would never have happened 10 years ago. I hear people going on tangents about furries and libs and god knows what else. Guess what? Our school has also had an uptick in issues.

Once again, when the parents start acting like kids, dont be surprised when the kids act worse...
You say they start acting like kids as if they even grew up at some point........... ;)

P.S. As an aside, there's a difference between being an adult, and pretending to be one....................

Reactions: Drake__Mallard
Kids always get the blame for what their parent and society allow. This is a parental issue which has been coming over the years because of previous generations that filed lawsuits, ran for school boards for personal agendas and scores to settle instead of running to allow school professionals to do their job.
I also agree with getting rid of the Department of Education and having local control.

Listen, I'm an individualist and a small community advocate. You can take your collectivist, compulsory participation in the failed American experiment and shove it up your arse.
Lol. Link to my collectivist, compulsory participation rhetoric? I’m simply pointing to what you’re illustrating perfectly.

Seriously? Kick the brats out of school. Put a cop in the school and arrest them for fighting and send them to juvy.

JFC, the solution is to be the adult in the room. IDGAF if you have to beat their asses, but do it.

I'm tired of this woke society. If you fail your classes, guess what? You get to make it up in the summer. Oh yeah, if you fail that class you get to repeat the grade.

Why is this so hard?
@ICWestfan FYI it's also hard at IC West feeder Northwest Jr High. The Coralville PD was called there multiple times this spring to break up fights that had gotten out of hand. I hear similar stories from kids and parents of kids roaming the halls during school, fighting and general disrespect towards teachers/staff.

The current principal "found another opportunity", but I wouldn't be surprised if the situation is the same the next school year.

The problem, like others have pointed out, is that staff isn't able to discipline kids or "kick them out". Any disparity in disciplinary actions among white and non-white students is deemed racist by outsiders who pay close attention to the numbers - regardless of what the kids are doing to get in trouble....

@ICWestfan FYI it's also hard at IC West feeder Northwest Jr High. The Coralville PD was called there multiple times this spring to break up fights that had gotten out of hand. I hear similar stories from kids and parents of kids roaming the halls during school, fighting and general disrespect towards teachers/staff.

The current principal "found another opportunity", but I wouldn't be surprised if the situation is the same the next school year.

The problem, like others have pointed out, is that staff isn't able to discipline kids or "kick them out". Any disparity in disciplinary actions among white and non-white students is deemed racist by outsiders who pay close attention to the numbers - regardless of what the kids are doing to get in trouble....
I hate saying it but kids who are minorities are starting to learn this as well. It adds to the "You can't do anything to me." attitude that is so prevalent with our youth in schools.

Does anybody know how quickly this happened? Like... night and day difference with 6th graders in the span of a few years? Or has this been brewing for years before hitting this point?

Any big changes to the economics status of Bettendorf area? Any big demographics shift?

(I always thought it was the most affluent area in QC)
No new development in Bettendorf. Been landlocked for a while

This needs to be blown up. ^^ When my wife worked in the ICCSD she encountered this too. The then principal was way more concerned about "staying off the list" than she was in addressing actual issues in the classroom.

We have let the order of the day be taken over by race baiters and gripers...and in so doing have paralyzed building admins and consequently made toothless tigers out of them. This leads to terrible staff morale, otherwise good teachers then deciding to leave the profession, etc.

Set a standard of behavior that applies to ALL students, obligate admins to discipline per the standard, support teachers that are doing well and adhering to the standard. We have let the perpetually aggrieved dictate the tone and atmosphere...that needs to be reversed.

I think some of you are drifting off into politics here when the issue is legal. I'm sure that administrators would like to get rid of kids that are overly disruptive - it would help their scores, graduation rates, placement, teacher retention, etc. Their hands are tied by lawyers that can and will bring suit to keep a kid in the classroom or at least within the 4 walls of the school.

Would you want to discipline a kid when the kid is bound to show up with an attorney ready to claim that the disruptive behavior can be explained via a learning disability or something in the DSM-5?

I think some of you are drifting off into politics here when the issue is legal. I'm sure that administrators would like to get rid of kids that are overly disruptive - it would help their scores, graduation rates, placement, teacher retention, etc. Their hands are tied by lawyers that can and will bring suit to keep a kid in the classroom or at least within the 4 walls of the school.

Would you want to discipline a kid when the kid is bound to show up with an attorney ready to claim that the disruptive behavior can be explained via a learning disability or something in the DSM-5?
It's absolutely politically driven, and in this case absolutely by both sides. Every election cycle education is an easy political punching bag. The Rs approach it with 0 nuance and every problem looks like a nail. The Ds approach it as if every problem has a custom solution that is equitable and acceptable to all involved.

The lack of political will to fund alternative HS is also causing this, as typically the kids that would get a more conducive environment in those end up being the bad apples in gen ed. And finally, the "all things to all people" attitude of some towards public education. They shouldn't be there to feed you breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's no different than the post office "this is what happens here, if you act like a clown you gotta go".

Reactions: hwk23
Solutions: (1) Student and parent must meet with school officials (preferably the Principal) before the start of the school year where all rules and regulations are presented for required consenting signatures by both parent and student. Refusal to sign means no admission. (2) Two strike policy is enforced for all rules and regulations - first infraction means in-house punishment by the school with notification given to the parents. Second violation results in expulsion for the remainder of the school year. (3) Cell phones cannot be carried on their person by the student during the school day. Cell phones brought to school will be checked in to school officials at the door upon arrival and checked back out to the student at the end of the school day. (4) A dress code will be implemented and strictly enforced - no short-shorts and cleavage-exposing blouses or shirts for the girls, no shorts or full-length jeans for the boys containing holes and tears, and shoes must be worn by all. The bottom line with all of this is that parents obviously are not disciplining their children at home necessitating more stringent discipline requirements in the school.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Why do schools care so much what an individual momma bear thinks? Seems like the priority should be kids getting an education, that includes discipline. Sounds like a breakdown on many levels.

Boom. You nailed it. There have always been worthless parents. Admins and the board office used to exist to hold the line when disgruntlec parents bitched because their baby got disciplined for stepping out of line. Modern admins are spineless whores. The few of them that start with a spine get their knees cut out from under them the first time a parent goes over a principal's head to the board office and the super calls them and tells them to fix it. I used to have contempt for people who sent their kids to private schools. Now I encourage every parent I talk to to take that route.

Reactions: hwk23
Solutions: (1) Student and parent must meet with school officials (preferably the Principal) before the start of the school year where all rules and regulations are presented for required consenting signatures by both parent and student. Refusal to sign means no admission. (2) Two strike policy is enforced for all rules and regulations - first infraction means in-house punishment by the school with notification given to the parents. Second violation results in expulsion for the remainder of the school year. (3) Cell phones cannot be carried on their person by the student during the school day. Cell phones brought to school will be checked in to school officials at the door upon arrival and checked back out to the student at the end of the school day. (4) A dress code will be implemented and strictly enforced - no short-shorts and cleavage-exposing blouses or shirts for the girls, no shorts or full-length jeans for the boys containing holes and tears, and shoes must be worn by all. The bottom line with all of this is that parents obviously are not disciplining their children at home necessitating more stringent discipline requirements in the school.
Love.

The districts need to fight back. Take out the trash. Courts need to throw out the ridiculous lawsuits. Those parents who refuse to accept responsibility of their children need to be invited to what we called in the military a “blanket party”.

The threat of lawsuits is mostly empty. Lawyers don't work for free.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT