ADVERTISEMENT

This will sound odd to most of you, but...

Have any of you heard The String Cheese Incident?

We're going to Colorado in a couple of weeks and I wanted to go to a concert at Red Rocks. Listening to all of the bands that were going to be there that week, they were the only one that sounded decent when listening on Spotify. But then again, I only listened to parts of a few songs on 2-3 albums.

I know nothing about them, was hoping someone here heard of them or had listened to them.

FTR, the Black Keys are going to be there that week, and I'd be ok with them...but I'm not paying $1000 for 3 tickets. I might pay that for an REM reunion show, but not the Black Keys.
I was at U2 Red Rocks in June 1983 between my freshman and soph year of HS. I was with my older brother. I was stupid and didn't realize I was at a legendary event. I remember being very cold and there was this damn helicopter flying above with a spot light. I thought for sure it was going to crash. It was wet too. I never really got into u2 but I brag like hell that I was there even though I really didn't want to be there at the tme.

Reactions: SSG T
If anyone likes bluegrass, highly recommend Yonder Mountain String Band. They're the opening act and were fantastic. The girl playing fiddle and the dude playing mandolin could rip.

YMSB is great, hey frequently play the festivals at Suwannee.

If anyone likes bluegrass, highly recommend Yonder Mountain String Band. They're the opening act and were fantastic. The girl playing fiddle and the dude playing mandolin could rip.
Saw them at the Rust Belt. Excellent show.

Another good one - The Way Down Wanderers - are playing a festival in Moline at the end of August. Free admission!

Oh, and FTR, the music was fantastic. Those dudes are fun to listen to

Oh, we ended up leaving before their last set was finished, mainly because it was midnight, we had an hour drive back to the hotel and had to head home Saturday.

They took the stage around 8pm, played until just after 10, had a break until about 1020, then came back and were still playing when we got to our car at 1215. And everything they played was at least moderate rock tempo, much of it uptempo. They definitely give the crowd their money's worth. $56 for at least 4 hours of music.

Well, Red Rocks holds about 9500 people, there were about 9000 of them smoking pot. My daughter and I were fine with it, my wife was a bit freaked out. Considering the wildest concert she's ever been to is Alan Jackson, that's not surprising.

To the people laughing at this...

My daughter had never been to a concert (yeah, I failed as a parent, but she has weird tast in music, so concerts were hard to find for her). She said she expected drug/alcohol, including large numbers smoking pot.

I spent way too much money in my youth going to Minneapolis/Chicago/Milwaukee to see punk/alt bands...so you can imagine my experiences. Mosh pits at my size were fun, kind of. I also used to hang out at jazz clubs when I could, mainly because my bass teacher's group played around DSM through the 80s and 90s. Some interesting people at those too.

My wife's experience has been Alan Jackson and Kenny Chesney, along with some bluegrass festival in SE Iowa with her parents, where everyone is sitting in lawn chairs sipping on tea and soda.

So yeah, Friday night was a bit weird for her.

Reactions: torbee

My daughter had never been to a concert (yeah, I failed as a parent, but she has weird tast in music, so concerts were hard to find for her). She said she expected drug/alcohol, including large numbers smoking pot.

I spent way too much money in my youth going to Minneapolis/Chicago/Milwaukee to see punk/alt bands...so you can imagine my experiences. Mosh pits at my size were fun, kind of. I also used to hang out at jazz clubs when I could, mainly because my bass teacher's group played around DSM through the 80s and 90s. Some interesting people at those too.

My wife's experience has been Alan Jackson and Kenny Chesney, along with some bluegrass festival in SE Iowa with her parents, where everyone is sitting in lawn chairs sipping on tea and soda.

You’re probably the jerk that chipped my tooth at a House of Large Sizes show in 91. 😉

Reactions: SSG T

A good experience for your family and I'm glad to hear you generally enjoyed the show/Red Rocks/SCI (and Yonder). Hope Colorado has treated you well (despite the heat).

A good experience for your family and I'm glad to hear you generally enjoyed the show/Red Rocks/SCI (and Yonder). Hope Colorado has treated you well (despite the heat).

Loved the whole Colo Springs area. Headed over to Canon City a couple of times for things, great drive over.

My only complaint was that it rained on us on the hike down after doing the Manitou Incline, then didn't rain the rest of the day.

ADVERTISEMENT