ADVERTISEMENT

This year's ceiling

EKHawk

All-Conference
Nov 23, 2010
Before the start of the 2019-20 Iowa BB season, it seemed like wishful thinking to get to March Madness. After losing to DePaul, the NIT seemed to be a stretch. After starting 1-3 in conference play (including a loss to Nebraska), things looked even worse.

Since then, The Hawkeyes have gone 10-4, beaten numerous ranked teams and are a lock for the NCAAs. Their persistence and ability to get back up after a loss has been nothing short of inspiring.

Hoping for 10-10 in conference play before the season would have been mocked by any number of folks on this site. With two more games to go before BT Tournament, Iowa has a chance to go 13-7. Can't say enough about this year's team (the women's team and wrestling team as well). Go Hawks!

DePaul was one of those weird things where the Demons came out like Richard Chamberlain and Iowa wasn't prepared for the shock.

After Moss left I predicted same record as last year. I underestimated the talent.

The Hawks start Luka 4*, JW 4*, C Mac 4*, Joe T 4* and CJF, Kentucky PoY and obvious steal. I thought we'd have P Mac and Jordan, two more 4* recruits. They're good players playing well.

The boys have an outside shot at the Sweet 16. Teams that are most likely first two round opponents are going to be thunderstruck when the creature Garzilla emerges from the corn and into the spotlight.

Last edited:
the unexpected success is the most satisfying...that is Iowa bb this year.
if we finish well get the 6
seed...sweet 16 is do-able.
I really believe in this team if healthy, can do what iowa has failed to do since 98.

Great team in a great conference. Penn St. really brought their A game early. They are tough, they have cutters and long range shooters but very few teams have a Luka Garza. Now, having said that I was hopeful Joe W. might get at least two more threes to go down for confidence going forward. Time will tell.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
I too, think they could go far in the NCAA tourney. I'm actually worried more about other BIG teams than most teams in the top 25. Other teams will be less prepared for not only Garza, but how others will make them pay for doubling him.

Iowa will have at least one other BIG in it's bracket, and possibly two. Hopefully they are on opposite sides of those brackets.

Reactions: CaboKP and chuck285
DePaul was one of those weird things where the Demons came out like Richard Chamberlain and Iowa wasn't prepared for the shock.

After Moss left I predicted same record as last year. I underestimated the talent.

The Hawks start Luke 4*, JW 4*, C Mac 4*, Joe T 4* and CJF, Kentucky PoY and obvious steal. I thought we'd have P Mac and Jordan, two more 4* recruits. They're good players playing well.

The boys have an outside shot at the Sweet 16. Teams that are most likely first two round opponents are going to be thunderstruck when the creature Garzilla emerges from the corn and into the spotlight.

Pretty much this. However, I think the Hawks have an excellent shot at the Sweet 16 and an outside shot at the Elite 8. Of course, the more favorable the bracket, the better the odds.

With the right matchup and outside shooting getting hot, the sweet 16 is not out of the realm of possibility. Wouldn't have said that at the beginning of the season.

Iowa can make the Sweet 16 this year IMO, but for the love of God, stay off the 7-10 line. It would really help not having to play a 1-2 seed in the second round.

If Iowa beats Purdue, i think at least a 6 seed is a pretty good bet. Losing @Illinois wouldn't hurt our seed IMO. Let's win a game or two in the BTT, also. Seems like most have us as a 6 seed before today's game. Barring 3 straight losses to close it out, I like where we're sitting.

I didn't realize Iowa had the most wins against ranked opponents. That's gotta count for something in terms of seeding... Right?

Reactions: wilson reborn
Took my 7-year-old son (who’s a pretty good hooper for his age) to his first Hawks game today. So obviously I did a lot of dad-splaining about how everything works, from the ticket gate to the restrooms to the concessions to how and when the game actually starts.

Throughout the game I casually explained why certain Hawkeyes were doing certain things. There was a point when I was describing the amazing effort Ryan Kriener had made to keep a play alive and then his teammate rewarded him by feeding the ball back to him in the post that I stopped and realized...

HOLY SH*T this is the best coached Iowa team I have ever seen.

Iowa can make the Sweet 16 this year IMO, but for the love of God, stay off the 7-10 line. It would really help not having to play a 1-2 seed in the second round.

If Iowa beats Purdue, i think at least a 6 seed is a pretty good bet. Losing @Illinois wouldn't hurt our seed IMO. Let's win a game or two in the BTT, also. Seems like most have us as a 6 seed before today's game. Barring 3 straight losses to close it out, I like where we're sitting.

I didn't realize Iowa had the most wins against ranked opponents. That's gotta count for something in terms of seeding... Right?

This. Sweet 16 is possible.

The field is wide open this year. The Hawks on a neutral court can beat anybody this year.

I think we should expect a Sweet 16. At a five or six seed, they could and maybe should be favored in the first two rounds. After that, anything can happen. I haven't seen a team that I'm sure they can't beat. Could just come down to how they match up after that, but to me they're trending up.

I will say that this team with a 5-6 seed could make the Sweet 16. I have watched Iowa Basketball for 60 years and have been disappointed for probably 55 of those years. I will not be disappointed this year regardless. I love this team and they have fought and scrapped all year long despite all of the many setbacks. If they lose their next 4 games and finish 20-13, I will consider this season a success. This team has been great.

The Hawks start Luka 4*, JW 4*, C Mac 4*, Joe T 4* and CJF, Kentucky PoY and obvious steal. I thought we'd have P Mac and Jordan, two more 4* recruits. They're good players playing well.

Super excited! Also, Joe T and JBO were both 3* recruits, not 4*.

Last edited:
Super excited! Also, Joe T and JBO were both 3* recruits, not 4*.

I only cite to ESPN, that way its a series of relatively consistent metrics over the years. Joe and Jordan were both ESPN 4*s, somewhere between top 100-120 (every year ESPN has about 20 guys who grade as 4*s but not in their top 100). I know other recruiting services had them ranked lower. Those services were wrong.

Obviously depends on how we match up with given opponents, but this team has a much higher ceiling than last year where we were an OT away from a Sweet 16. With Garzilla on your side, and how we have played ranked/quad 1 teams, it’s not unreasonable to think anything is possible.

Reactions: cfhawk22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT