ADVERTISEMENT

This year's home schedule

Lone Clone

HR King
May 29, 2001
Realize I'm the last person to notice this, but I just saw the schedule. I've been following Iowa football since the mid-'60s and honestly can't remember a less attractive home schedule. Minnesota, and ....... that's about it.

On the bright side, Hawks probably will be favored in all the games.

But that can't be an easy season ticket to sell, especially with a lot of fans in an owly mood.

The worst year for that schedule, too. The football program has no momentum right now. Can you imagine if we lose to Iowa State in Ames next year? If that happens I think we struggle to get 55,000 people in Kinnick for Pitt and North Texas. Yes, the paid attendance may be better than 55,000, but I seriously don't think there would be that many people in the stands.

That's the doomsday scenario. I do think Iowa wins in Ames next year. Ferentz needs that one, maybe like no other game he's ever coached at Iowa. If we lose that game we're 1/5 against an Iowa State program that has been pretty atrocious for a half decade. Under that scenario, Ferentz may need to win the West to keep his job.

Originally posted by hoks2415:
The worst year for that schedule, too. The football program has no momentum right now. Can you imagine if we lose to Iowa State in Ames next year? If that happens I think we struggle to get 55,000 people in Kinnick for Pitt and North Texas. Yes, the paid attendance may be better than 55,000, but I seriously don't think there would be that many people in the stands.

That's the doomsday scenario. I do think Iowa wins in Ames next year. Ferentz needs that one, maybe like no other game he's ever coached at Iowa. If we lose that game we're 1/5 against an Iowa State program that has been pretty atrocious for a half decade. Under that scenario, Ferentz may need to win the West to keep his job.
ISU has been awful for a hundred years, and Kirk is 7-9 against them. Even if he wins next year, he will still be under .500 for his career against one of the worst Power 5 programs in the history of the sport. He will never face a worse version of ISU than the one he played last year, featuring the absolute dead last defense in all of Division 1 football, and he still managed to lose. At home, no less.

The idea that next year's game is somehow more important than any of the others against that garbage program is just laughably stupid.

ISU has been awful for a hundred years, and Kirk is 7-9 against them. Even if he wins next year, he will still be under .500 for his career against one of the worst Power 5 programs in the history of the sport. He will never face a worse version of ISU than the one he played last year, featuring the absolute dead last defense in all of Division 1 football, and he still managed to lose. At home, no less.

The idea that next year's game is somehow more important than any of the others against that garbage program is just laughably stupid.
I get your point, but I think another loss to a terrible Iowa State team could be the final straw for Ferentz. I think if we lose, the margin of error for Ferentz will be razor thin. If he loses that game, it might take 9-3 or better to keep his job.

My point is fans are angry as ever, I think the fallout after another loss to Iowa State would be almost insurmountable for Ferentz in 2015. The biggest factor would be that Kinnick will not be close to full if Iowa can't brew some momentum in September. Faltering ticket sales next season could spell the end of the Ferentz era.

With that said, I hope Iowa can get that win in early September, I think they will. I think it's reasonably foreseeable, however, that a loss to Iowa State would force Barta's hand enough that he would pull the trigger after the season, unless Iowa would go 6-2 or better in the Big Ten. Going 6-2 or better would be a stretch for next year's team in my opinion, though.

This post was edited on 3/23 11:11 PM by hoks2415

Originally posted by hoks2415:

I get your point, but I think another loss to a terrible Iowa State team could be the final straw for Ferentz. I think if we lose, the margin of error for Ferentz will be razor thin. If he loses that game, it might take 9-3 or better to keep his job.

My point is fans are angry as ever, I think the fallout after another loss to Iowa State would be almost insurmountable for Ferentz in 2015. The biggest factor would be that Kinnick will not be close to full if Iowa can't brew some momentum in September. Faltering ticket sales next season could spell the end of the Ferentz era.

With that said, I hope Iowa can get that win in early September, I think they will. I think it's reasonably foreseeable, however, that a loss to Iowa State would force Barta's hand enough that he would pull the trigger after the season, unless Iowa would go 6-2 or better in the Big Ten. Going 6-2 or better would be a stretch for next year's team in my opinion, though.

This post was edited on 3/23 11:11 PM by hoks2415
Again, he has lost so many games to shitty teams, both recently and throughout his career, it's just stupid to call the next one his "make or break" game. It won't make up for games that he has already lost, nor give him more rope for the additional crappy games that he is certain to lose in the future.

I didn't mean to troll or make any reference to the ISU game. Just noting that there isn't much on that home schedule to get the juices flowing.

Its well past the time for every Iowa fan to climb down off his high horse regarding Iowa State. Yes, this years game against them in Ames IS important. Some people simply seem incapable of understanding where we are TODAY...not where we used to be.

A win versus the Cyclones will hardly be noticed in the larger world of college football, but a loss in Ames this year would be catastrophic in Iowa City.

Also...does Iowa have a crappy home schedule this year? You bet. But is each and every game on that home schedule important to the immediate future of Iowa Football? You damn right it is.

I don't buy that fans won't come to a home schedule that's weak. Look at the other top teams in the BIG. They pack the stadium even against the sisters of the poor. Iowa's attendance problem won't be because of a patsy schedule it will be because of the won-loss record. That's the denominator. You're right in saying that Iowa season tickets won't be any easy sell but its not because of the home opponents. They won't come because their disappointed in the team not the schedule.

It's not that bad of a schedule. Enjoy the Pitt game, probably the last time a Power 5 school not named ISU visits Iowa in non conference

Originally posted by N.Legend:

I don't buy that fans won't come to a home schedule that's weak. Look at the other top teams in the BIG. They pack the stadium even against the sisters of the poor. Iowa's attendance problem won't be because of a patsy schedule it will be because of the won-loss record. That's the denominator. You're right in saying that Iowa season tickets won't be any easy sell but its not because of the home opponents. They won't come because their disappointed in the team not the schedule.
But the other B1G schools (soundly) beat those "Sisters of the poor" like they are supposed to 9/10... Iowa doesn't.

If Iowa were to bring Texas or ND or Ark to Kinnick it would sell out vs ISU (Illinois state) or the like.

Originally posted by soybean:
Its well past the time for every Iowa fan to climb down off his high horse regarding Iowa State. Yes, this years game against them in Ames IS important. Some people simply seem incapable of understanding where we are TODAY...not where we used to be.
How about where ISU is today, which is the worst major program in the country. And, oh look, that's exactly where the've been for all but maybe 4 seasons of their entire 100+ year history. But please, by all means, enlighten us how things are so different nowadays, grandpa.

A win versus the Cyclones will hardly be noticed in the larger world of college football, but a loss in Ames this year would be catastrophic in Iowa City.
So were Kirk's other NINE losses in the series also "catastrophic?"

How about last year's loss to their 2-10 outfit that featured the 128th ranked total defense in the country. Was that "catastrophic" enough for you? How about the loss to Chizik's first team, the week after they got drilled by double digits against UNI? Was it "catastrophic?"

I don't even think you know what the word means. ISU should be terrible again this year, AS USUAL, but they can't possibly be as bad as the two aforementioned versions, whom Kirk managed to lose to with bowl-eligible teams of his own both times.

Iowa can play football for another 125 years, and they will never have a more horrific loss than the one to Clown U last season, so you can take your "catastrophe" bullshit and shove it straight up your ass.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:
I didn't mean to troll or make any reference to the ISU game. Just noting that there isn't much on that home schedule to get the juices flowing.
It is the weakest schedule I can remember. There is no marquee home games this year. The pre-season games are a joke and I hate to say it, Iowa could lose 1 or 2 of them.

Sadly I can see Iowa somehow pulling out 10 wins this year and going to a decent bowl game and KF getting another extension.

I have been a season ticket holder for 10+ years and I am renewing for my brother in law who wants to go to the games. I won't go to any as too many other things going on.

If Iowa loses to ISU and one of the pre-season games, attendance will drop and KF will be shown the door.

Originally posted by N.Legend:

If the team is good, the fans will come regardless of the opponent.

If enthusiasm for the team is lacking for one reason or another, however, with ticket prices as high as they are, sometimes people need more incentive than simply the likelihood of a victory over a blah team. Maybe the posts on this board aren't representative of the overall fan base, but I'm not seeing a lot of enthusiasm here.

Some other people have brought up ISU, so I will contrast the home schedules and ticket situation.

ISU has had consecutive disastrous seasons, including hardly any home victories, and no real reason to think this year's team will be significantly better. Ticket sales the past two years have set records. Obviously, sales are going to drop off this year. However, there are two mitigating factors.

1. The south end zone project. A lot of people are going to be curious to see what the game experience is like with the new configuration, and ticket sales in the new section are reportedly pretty good, as one might expect.

2. The opposition. Several teams are coming to Ames that traditionally produce large crowds, starting with UNI, which is responsible for three of the biggest crowds in ISU history, and Iowa, which is not far behind. TCU will probably be ranked in the top five nationally, and Texas always is a good draw.

So the dropoff in ticket sales probably won't be as dramatic as it would ordinarily considering the state of the program. If we had a schedule like Iowa's, it would be a much more difficult sell.

You don't have to buy tickets if you don't like the schedule. Iowa has no say on who is on the Big Ten schedule. ISU always has a tough schedule because they are annually the worst team in their conference.

Originally posted by hawkinne:

You don't have to buy tickets if you don't like the schedule. Iowa has no say on who is on the Big Ten schedule. ISU always has a tough schedule because they are annually the worst team in their conference.
Yes and no.

ISU is usually one of the worst teams in the conference.

But the relative quality of the home team has no relationship to the strength of the schedule -- only to the chances of winning.

In other words, the SOS of the ISU schedule would be the same if it were Ohio State's schedule instead of Iowa State's. The difference is that OSU would be expected to win all the games and ISU is expected to lose all the games.

If Kirk has any chance whatsoever to stay gainfully employed past 2016 he better win 8 games ... plain and simple. I have said this since January, but I am still a firm believer this is Kirk's last season and he will ride off into the sunset. His last kid will have graduated ... Kirk realizes he is not getting the job done ... Iowa will reach an agreemenet with Kirk that allows him to leave without getting canned ...

I don't care how loyal fans are or how good of guy Kirk is, etc. But honestly, Iowa football can't continue on in the same state we have witnessed for the past 4 years. It will only get worse and we are already seeing that.

You lay another 6 or 7-win season with this cupcake schedule and adios ... If you can't win with this schedule, what will you do when OSU, Michigan, PSU are back on the schedule ...

GareBare can say all he wants that "Kirk is his man" ... etc. But the reality of is you can't continue to do business this way and have your fans turning away in droves. You simply can't do it. Nice guy or not, Iowa football is average. We are Minnesota ... We are Northwestern ... Wisky, MSU, Nebby ...

It's a crucial point in Iowa football ... The longer Kirk walks the sideline the harder it will be for Iowa football to dig out of this ... The reality is this ... if you let Kirk finish his remaining 5 or 6 years ... you won't see one season with more than 7 wins top ... 6 will become the norm ... and trips to Shreveport ... To the koolaid drinkers ... enjoy that .500 football because that will be your reality as long as Kirk is smacking gum on the Iowa sideline.

Unless he quits, Ferentz will be here in 2016 even if we go 5-7 losing to ISU along the way

The scary part is if he does quit before the new President gives Barta the hook is that GB gets to choose the next HC.

The only thing scarier than GB picking the next HC?

Another GD COMMITTEE!

Also...does Iowa have a crappy home schedule this year? You bet. But is each and every game on that home schedule important to the immediate future of Iowa Football? You damn right it is.

Originally posted by ichawk24:
Its a 7-0 home schedule. Enjoy.
Iowa hasn't finished undefeated at home since 2004, and is 10-12 in the last 22 games at Kinnick, which includes 2 losses to MAC teams, 2 losses to ISU (including last year's epically awful 2-10 outfit), two teams that ended up firing their head coaches within days of beating Iowa, two tight victories over FCS teams, and the thrilling 17-13 comeback over a horrible Ball St team last year.

This post was edited on 3/24 5:06 PM by Buck.McCoy

Not sure what the Big Ten is doing with scheudling. Last year Nebraska played @MSU, @Wisconsin, and @Iowa. This year it is reversed. Especially with Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. Simply switch the Iowa-Nebraksa game and the scheulde is balanced.

In 2018 with 9 conference games, Nebraska has

4 conference home games
@Michigan
@Wisoncisn
@OSU
@NW
@Iowa

john every BT team on a year over year will have 4 hiome games 1 year then 5 home games the next THAT is the reality of BT FB going forward, as for ISU they started out on a 5 game winning streak including the 1st one vs HF

since then KF is 7-5 and if the team had won his record would have been even at 8-8 after a 0-4 start,

LC - don't forget ISU has offered a $99 season ticket package as well. That has helped with increased numbers. Iowa may have to do the same in the future..

I know it rotates 4 and 5 home games, but how about splitting up our tough opponents home and away. Just doesn't seem to make sense to play @ Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin, and Iowa in the same year, then have garbage home games .

Originally posted by dekhawk:

LC - don't forget ISU has offered a $99 season ticket package as well. That has helped with increased numbers. Iowa may have to do the same in the future..
That's standing room, which I don't think is an option for Kinnick, although I could be wrong.

FWIW, those won't be available anymore at Trice except as part of the Junior Cyclone Club package. Kids high school age and younger pay $59, which gets them standing room on the north hillsides, a t-shirt and general admission to all other sporting events except MBB. They can buy a "parent pass" for $99 for football.

John,

the way I read the schedules is that the B1G is trying to set up its marquee teams (Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan) and as many others as possible for success and a run at the CFP.

Each team plays the toughest opponents at home one year. That gives the home team its best chance for a run on the polls. The next year it reverses. So '19 would be a year for Nebraska to have a little easier road to the CFP. Then in '20 it'll be someone else.

Of course winning on the road is good too, but every little bit helps.

Maybe I'm off base completely with the thought, but it makes a little sense to me. Sucks in the off years though, for home games.

No way Iowa drops to 55,000 for a home game. You give up your season tickets you drop down in the pecking order. Not a great schedule this year but we could see alot of home victories. Just hoping they aren't all 11:00 AM games.

Unfortunately, the best game will probably be Pitt and I have a nephew getting married out East. Second time I've missed Pitt game, niece got married last time. Tried to wiggle out of it but the better half said I had to go.

If that the philosophy, I don't like it. Nebraska's home schedule last year was

Illinois
Purdue
Rutgers
Minnesota

Three of those are in the west and Rutgers is in the east no control over that. Minnesota is getting better so can't label them a poor team. this is the way of Delany anything he does makes no sense nor is it fair.

I mean it is pretty simple. What should have happened:

Iowa @ Nebraska
Nebraska @ Wisconsin
Wisconsin @ Iowa

Pretty simple Jim.

Originally posted by BigRedFlood:
John,

the way I read the schedules is that the B1G is trying to set up its marquee teams (Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan) and as many others as possible for success and a run at the CFP.

Each team plays the toughest opponents at home one year. That gives the home team its best chance for a run on the polls. The next year it reverses. So '19 would be a year for Nebraska to have a little easier road to the CFP. Then in '20 it'll be someone else.

Of course winning on the road is good too, but every little bit helps.

Maybe I'm off base completely with the thought, but it makes a little sense to me. Sucks in the off years though, for home games.
No the BIG 10 isn't doing this and no clue where you got the idea unless another Nebby fan is making that crap up and feeding it to others. They schedule is set up so every team plays each other at least once every 4 years. Besides OSU do you really think the Big 10 has any clue who will be the top 3-4 teams in 2019?

Originally posted by john bames:

Iowa @ Nebraska
Nebraska @ Wisconsin
Wisconsin @ Iowa

Pretty simple Jim.
Don't forget that you're talking about people who took several years to get the divisions straight and come up with names for them that didn't make people break out laughing. Nothing would be simple for those folks.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

Originally posted by john bames:

Iowa @ Nebraska
Nebraska @ Wisconsin
Wisconsin @ Iowa

Pretty simple Jim.
Don't forget that you're talking about people who took several years to get the divisions straight and come up with names for them that didn't make people break out laughing. Nothing would be simple for those folks.
Really? That is the best that you can troll Iowa fans with here, LC?
(Understanding that it is all part and parcel of feeding your uncontrollable need to be on HR almost daily... that, and maintaining the enormous post count of yours!)

The Big Ten has played divisional football for all of four years total now. Changes became necessary due to the addition (a concept foreign to any and all big xii supporters) of Maryland and Rutgers. Anytime you want to compare the relative hilarity of the Big Ten divisions with say, that to the big xii between 1996 and 2010 (does 'pillow fight' bring back any memories), just say the word and we will walk down memory lane.

Lastly, anyone from a league touting the phrase "one true champion..." should never be decrying the foolishness or lack of simplicity of another.

Carry on.... 80,000 is just around the corner.

Originally posted by Buck.McCoy:
Iowa hasn't finished undefeated at home since 2004, and is 10-12 in the last 22 games at Kinnick, which includes 2 losses to MAC teams, 2 losses to ISU (including last year's epically awful 2-10 outfit), two teams that ended up firing their head coaches within days of beating Iowa, two tight victories over FCS teams, and the thrilling 17-13 comeback over a horrible Ball St team last year.

Thanks for the history lesson. CJB started none of those games. He is the promised one.

"But the other B1G schools (soundly) beat those "Sisters of the poor" like they are supposed to 9/10... Iowa doesn't.
If Iowa were to bring Texas or ND or Ark to Kinnick it would sell out vs ISU (Illinois state) or the like."
My point exactly! E. Illinois will create a full house. If Iowa loses, and loses and loses etc.attendance will drop. If Iowa wins and wins and wins etc. attendance will stay strong. To paraphrase a famous saying, "it's the record stupid."

Originally posted by Buck.McCoy:

I WAS thrilled we came back to win.

3dgrin.r191677.gif

Re: Lone Clone

Originally posted by makeachange:
ISU hammers Iowa .. clones have surpassed Iowa in two deeps...MN destroys us.
Nobody can be this stupid. Oh wait, it's Andoboy returned, so yes.
laugh.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/25 4:07 PM by Guidotheguide

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT