ADVERTISEMENT

This year's punting performance

rivercityjazzman

HB All-American
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2013
I posted this in another reply, but it was off-topic with respect to that thread, so I thought I'd post some interesting info I found.

Koehn and Kidd deserve recognition for their solid punting work, however the change in scheme also deserves recognition. The switch to the shield punt has yielded excellent results, IMO, as there have been very few returns on punts this year. The few punts that have been returned, have been for short yardage (see below). According to stats.ncaa.org, Iowa ranks #63 in the country in terms of net yards punting. While this may seem worse than one would think, it's worth noting that Iowa's average of 37.74 is only 6 yards from San Jose St, the top team in the country (43.52 net yd/punt). Also, Kidd has come up huge in specific game situations to flip the field for the Hawks. Perhaps a better reflection of scheme is the fact that opponents have only averaged approx 3.3 yards/punt return (100 opponent punt return yds divided by 31 punts total). This system will be put to the test with both Maryland and Nebraska, as they have excellent punt returners.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.