ADVERTISEMENT

Thomsen to Nebraska per Flo

I was absolutely blown away by his run his freshman year nationally and just watching him wrestle I said to myself, "We have to get this kid." Since then I've watched other videos and wasn't as blown away. This is not me knocking the kid at all. Don't know him, have only seen him on video. Is he a mid to high AA type kid? Replacing Lambert with Lambert 2.0 or better?

Reactions: ChristianPyles
I was absolutely blown away by his run his freshman year nationally and just watching him wrestle I said to myself, "We have to get this kid." Since then I've watched other videos and wasn't as blown away. This is not me knocking the kid at all. Don't know him, have only seen him on video. Is he a mid to high AA type kid? Replacing Lambert with Lambert 2.0 or better?

They have Kris Willians and J Rent both as freshman next year...he will have to sit a year at 25 and possibly 2 at 33.

This. And also, the trend as of late, seems to me that TnT are not too concerned with getting in-state talent as much as they are with getting the top talent. Which is refreshing to see imo... thoughts?
Yes, we need better recruits than what the state of Iowa currently has to offer. Thomsen has good upside but he's not a top recruit.

This. And also, the trend as of late, seems to me that TnT are not too concerned with getting in-state talent as much as they are with getting the top talent. Which is refreshing to see imo... thoughts?

I like the kid but he's not physical enough. I think if they are going offer big money, it would go to an RBY type or that kid from Florida...both whom I would take over Thomsen.

Reactions: Knight563
No shock at all with Thomsen going to Nebraska. Good program (though I am no fan of Manning) and he lives in the extreme western side of Iowa.

Reactions: Jaybird319
Thomsen, to me, has been a bit of a roller coaster.

As a prospect, i was enamored with him early on. Then i cooled. Then I got back on the 'elite' wagon. I think he's gonna be very tough.

Thomsen, to me, has been a bit of a roller coaster.

As a prospect, i was enamored with him early on. Then i cooled. Then I got back on the 'elite' wagon. I think he's gonna be very tough.
#11 Bryce West gave #3 Teske all he wanted and more earlier this year. Some would say West was dominating Teske until Teske mounted a great comeback. With that said I think Thomsen was up 8-2 on West before he stuck him this past weekend. West's 2 came on a step over when Thomsen was trying to launch him. Moral of the story is Thomsen is good. Maybe not Daton Fix or Spencer Lee good, but the best P4P in the state.

Sure wish he would have come to IA. My feelings are on par with smalls. Can't win them all, as they say.

Can't wait to see how he does in college.

That is not clear at all.

Who is better? More accomplished?

I personally would say Nelson Brands, but that's only because I think he has an extremely high ceiling.

Not calling you out. Just asking.

Who is better? More accomplished?

I personally would say Nelson Brands, but that's only because I think he has an extremely high ceiling.

Not calling you out. Just asking.
Sure. I'd say Teske is an equal in terms of accomplishments. 3x undefeated champ, Fargo runner up.

Sure. I'd say Teske is an equal in terms of accomplishments. 3x undefeated champ, Fargo runner up.

I'd take Teske over Thomsen as well. My biggest knock on Thomsen is that he doesn't have the best workout partners. No doubt he seeks the best competition, but I think he has been limited with what he has to work with. Give me Teske though. Even though I think he ends up a clown.

No shock at all with Thomsen going to Nebraska. Good program (though I am no fan of Manning) and he lives in the extreme western side of Iowa.
Who was his head coach? A guy on Husker board said his coach wrestled at Nebraska. If that is true, that couldn't have hurt the Huskers chances with him.

I dont understand negative comments about Manning, unless still a Northern Iowa effect.

The Thomsen kid seems legit, and although not a top 5 type guy, he will have a chance to develop under Mark and Coach Snyder. They have a pretty good track record for developing unknown, or non nationally ranked kids. Guys like Brandon Browne, Craig Brester, Josh Ihnen, and recently Studebaker, who were not even on anyone's radar out of highschool. I will throw in Colton McCrystal as a kid who also has developed, and still has another year to improve, as well.

Who was his head coach? A guy on Husker board said his coach wrestled at Nebraska. If that is true, that couldn't have hurt the Huskers chances with him.

I dont understand negative comments about Manning, unless still a Northern Iowa effect.

The Thomsen kid seems legit, and although not a top 5 type guy, he will have a chance to develop under Mark and Coach Snyder. They have a pretty good track record for developing unknown, or non nationally ranked kids. Guys like Brandon Browne, Craig Brester, Josh Ihnen, and recently Studebaker, who were not even on anyone's radar out of highschool. I will throw in Colton McCrystal as a kid who also has developed, and still has another year to improve, as well.

Dude comes off as a straight up dick. I'm sure his wrestlers love him, but everyone else in the country is scratching their heads.

#11 Bryce West gave #3 Teske all he wanted and more earlier this year. Some would say West was dominating Teske until Teske mounted a great comeback. With that said I think Thomsen was up 8-2 on West before he stuck him this past weekend. West's 2 came on a step over when Thomsen was trying to launch him. Moral of the story is Thomsen is good. Maybe not Daton Fix or Spencer Lee good, but the best P4P in the state.

I watched that match and walked away more impressed with teske thank before. He was very aggressive against a dangerous west and got caught a couple times, but kept coming and pulled it out.

Reactions: HIWILLE
I watched that match and walked away more impressed with teske thank before. He was very aggressive against a dangerous west and got caught a couple times, but kept coming and pulled it out.
I'm wasnt trying to say I'm not impressed with Teske, because I think he's a stud. Watched the two of them this past weekend on side by side mats and to me Thomsen has the edge. Teske seems like he is definatley Iowa Style though.
Thomsen is very slick. Someone above said he is Lambert 2.0, comparing styles that's not even a close comparison.

Dude comes off as a straight up dick. I'm sure his wrestlers love him, but everyone else in the country is scratching their heads.
Do you understand what the majority of wrestling fans think of T&T as leaders of men, lol

No going to argue, because I'd love to be allowed to talk about wrestling and recruiting, but c'mon?

I'm wasnt trying to say I'm not impressed with Teske, because I think he's a stud. Watched the two of them this past weekend on side by side mats and to me Thomsen has the edge. Teske seems like he is definatley Iowa Style though.
Thomsen is very slick. Someone above said he is Lambert 2.0, comparing styles that's not even a close comparison.
Earl Hall 2.0 is a distinct possibility

I think most college coaches have their own quirks that are up for debate at times.

The stance on the Brands have soften over the last couple of yrs from talking w other fans at Bigs and Nationals. Some say it was after watching "Terry" they have a little more understanding.

Friday afternoon at nationals this year, a lot of other team fans were complimentary of Brands Bros at the places I visited;)

Reactions: reddogg26
Do you understand what the majority of wrestling fans think of T&T as leaders of men, lol

No going to argue, because I'd love to be allowed to talk about wrestling and recruiting, but c'mon?
Just because Tom and Terry are over the top intense doesn't mean that they aren't great leaders of men. They are two of the finest men on the planet.

I think most college coaches have their own quirks that are up for debate at times.

The stance on the Brands have soften over the last couple of yrs from talking w other fans at Bigs and Nationals. Some say it was after watching "Terry" they have a little more understanding.

Friday afternoon at nationals this year, a lot of other team fans were complimentary of Brands Bros at the places I visited;)

When the Hawks win a couple championships, the compliments will go away. IMHO The lower the Hawks finish, the more love they will get in my opinion. Once they start winning again the haters will be back out. I hope I am wrong, because it is sad to see.

Of course I understand this, but being intense, and straight up cussing out the crowd behind you are completely different.

Join in on the fun. Talk wrestling, talk recruiting. Just don't hijack any threads with Penn State propaganda. You will will be welcomed. Glad to have you aboard.

Last edited:
Just because Tom and Terry are over the top intense doesn't mean that they aren't great leaders of men. They are two of the finest men on the planet.
I agree about Tom and Terry, and feel the same about Manning. I know him pretty well, and have seen it. Wrestling coaches by nature probably have more than their share of built in drive and intensity inherent in their nature.

Reactions: Jaybird319
You have to admit Manning was way out in right field during the dual. I sit behind the visiting team, his performance as a "leader of men" was laughable at best.
Don't worry about me ever being a Penn State fan, here or anywhere.
Didn't see that incident, as I didn't make the trip over this year, but A dual in KHA for a visiting coach will test your character for sure, :) You could probably say that about most coaches. I could look at the little film snippet Flo uses to advertize the Terry documentary as a lead in for logging in, or to downloading a video on their site, where Terry is leading a wrestler to the mat area, and some person innocently walks in front of him and Terry goes off on him, and says, ;"Get out of my way, or I'll take you out,...I don't care how big you are", etc.

That incident shouldn't define him as a person, nor should one of Manning reacting to the crowd behind his bench at Carver probably.

Let's just move on.

Is Alex Thomsen a kid who could stay at 125 most of his career? Has he cut much weight in high school? How big are his parents?

Reactions: crablegs1

you went to church between sessions?

Don't worry about me ever being a Penn State fan, here or anywhere.
Didn't see that incident, as I didn't make the trip over this year, but A dual in KHA for a visiting coach will test your character for sure, :) You could probably say that about most coaches. I could look at the little film snippet Flo uses to advertize the Terry documentary as a lead in for logging in, or to downloading a video on their site, where Terry is leading a wrestler to the mat area, and some person innocently walks in front of him and Terry goes off on him, and says, ;"Get out of my way, or I'll take you out,...I don't care how big you are", etc.

That incident shouldn't define him as a person, nor should one of Manning reacting to the crowd behind his bench at Carver probably.

Let's just move on.

Is Alex Thomsen a kid who could stay at 125 most of his career? Has he cut much weight in high school? How big are his parents?

That would be Carver Hawkeye Arena with a C.

N stands for Knowledge in Nebraska right ;)

Reactions: Husker Hank
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT