ADVERTISEMENT

Thought experiment: What if punters could score a point in football?

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
How would that change the game?

For example, a punt that lands in the end zone, doesn't go out of bounds, and is either downed or the receiver is tackled behind the goal line scores 1 point.

Discuss.

Reactions: wilson reborn

For example, a punt that lands in the end zone, doesn't go out of bounds, and is either downed or the receiver is tackled behind the goal line scores 1 point.

Discuss.
If the receiver is tackled in the end zone, that is a safety. Why penalize the kicking team a point? The rest of your proposal is ridiculous.

No, I like it. Football is getting boring. Soccer is taking over. Make new rules to shake things up.

Preach it, brother!

Currently, the receiver stands on the 10 yard line and waives it off if it's going over his head. That's boring.

My suggestion would Make Punting Great Again.

Trad in this thread.

1*T6yFpyobPBqC3WrqcLqgxg.jpeg

Discuss.

Reactions: Gonolz
Or a twist to your proposal, how about 1 point if the ball is downed or goes out of bounds inside the five-yard line on a punt.

If the receiver is tackled in the end zone, that is a safety. Why penalize the kicking team a point? The rest of your proposal is ridiculous.

What I think he means is the PR fields the ball in the end zone which never happens. While it's not a terrible idea, Trad just f'd up the way they'd score it.

What I could see is 1 point for every punt downed at the opponent's one yard line. It doesn't happen enough to rack up too many points and could make for some interesting game moments. Too far for a FG down late in the 4th? Coffin corner baby!!!!

Or just do away with punting. 4th downs would have the full complement of QB, RB, WRs, TEs on the field. More plays with top talent on the field=more exciting game?

Nah, now it should be a randomly placed bullseye, at least 50 yards away that the punter has to land the ball inside of. Kind of like the skill drill that used to be on Madden.

What I think he means is the PR fields the ball in the end zone which never happens. While it's not a terrible idea, Trad just f'd up the way they'd score it.

What I could see is 1 point for every punt downed at the opponent's one yard line. It doesn't happen enough to rack up too many points and could make for some interesting game moments. Too far for a FG down late in the 4th? Coffin corner baby!!!!
You're trying to put yourself in Trad's head?!?😅🤣😂

What I think he means is the PR fields the ball in the end zone which never happens.

Correct. The receiver just waives it off.

BUT if there's a chance that the ball could be downed in the end zone resulting in a point for the other team, the receiver would have to do something about that. Like attempting to field it and then get out of the end zone.

And my friends, THAT would be much more exciting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT