ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts after rewatching the game

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Field position was a killer in the second half. Urban Meyer stated an interesting statistic on the BIG Network this week. Teams that start inside the five only score 3% of the time. Inside the 10 - 10%. In the second half, we started inside the five, three times.

Special teams was not great this week. Tory Taylor averaged 38 yards per punt yesterday. His last punt from the end zone, with no pressure was 38 yards. Illinois Aussie punter out performed Tory in the game. Illinois kicker was 3-3 on FG, our kicker 2-3 (his one miss was from 45. Kicking is winning and Illinois was better.

Petras was under duress all day. The number of QB sacks and pressures was significant. Our OL just isn't physical. Our D-line gave up almost 200 yards rushing again yesterday. The only time we pinned Illinois deep, they ran it and short passed to flipped the field. I think our D'line is undersized.

Yes, Spencer missed a few passes but he takes a beating every week. On the short pass he threw at the receivers feet, he had no time. No one touched the Blitzer. FWIW, great call but a missed chip block caused the missed play. Easy to blame the QB, but he took a hell of a shot but stayed in there last night. Plus made a few runs.

In the end, it is a game of inches. Elbow touched just before the fumble. What a roller coaster of emotion.

I don't know if this team will win 6 games this year. Starting the year, I thought Iowa Sstate and Illinois would be wins. Now I don't know if we'll beat NW or Nebraska.

A sold out Kinnick must be a curse 🤬

Yes, it was painful but I was looking for any glimmer of hope for the rest of the season.

LaPorta over a 100 yards, is very good.

Did get a few rushing first downs in the 4th quarter. Johnson and L. Williams were running hard, G. Williams dances too much and had a huge drop in the first half. That play was open for big yards.

WR made a few catches yesterday, nothing deep unfortunately, LaPorta did though.

Field position was a killer in the second half. Urban Meyer stated an interesting statistic on the BIG Network this week. Teams that start inside the five only score 3% of the time. Inside the 10 - 10%. In the second half, we started inside the five, three times.

Special teams was not great this week. Tory Taylor averaged 38 yards per punt yesterday. His last punt from the end zone, with no pressure was 38 yards. Illinois Aussie punter out performed Tory in the game. Illinois kicker was 3-3 on FG, our kicker 2-3 (his one miss was from 45. Kicking is winning and Illinois was better.

Petras was under duress all day. The number of QB sacks and pressures was significant. Our OL just isn't physical. Our D-line gave up almost 200 yards rushing again yesterday. The only time we pinned Illinois deep, they ran it and short passed to flipped the field. I think our D'line is undersized.

Yes, Spencer missed a few passes but he takes a beating every week. On the short pass he threw at the receivers feet, he had no time. No one touched the Blitzer. FWIW, great call but a missed chip block caused the missed play. Easy to blame the QB, but he took a hell of a shot but stayed in there last night. Plus made a few runs.

In the end, it is a game of inches. Elbow touched just before the fumble. What a roller coaster of emotion.

I don't know if this team will win 6 games this year. Starting the year, I thought Iowa Sstate and Illinois would be wins. Now I don't know if we'll beat NW or Nebraska.

I agree on Taylor. I thought that was his worst game to this point. Stephens has been solid for a frosh. He'll be a good one.

I don't think field position is what's holding this offense back. They literally started going backwards when given the ball deep inside the opponent's side of the field.

Special teams were still very good. Tory may not have been his normal self in terms of yards but he brought the hang time that allowed the special teams to cover (which also led to a turnover).

Stephens has had one miss as a freshman. Still outstanding. Let’s not forget the offense that took a 30ish yard field goal and made it a 47 yarder (due to a horrific play call).

The blame starts and ends with this offense no matter your view.

OL is awful, 100%. On another note, though:

Spencer has the slowest feet and slowest recognition process in the pocket.. The guy can't escape a sliver of pressure. And the way he gets whipped down makes it appear he has never lifted a weight in his life.

Damn, Petras just doesn't belong in the P5 and I cannot believe he continues to play for our program. Something is terribly wrong with Kirk's thought process.

OL is awful, 100%. On another note, though:

Spencer has the slowest feet and slowest recognition process in the pocket.. The guy can't escape a sliver of pressure. And the way he gets whipped down makes it appear he has never lifted a weight in his life.

Damn, Petras just doesn't belong in the P5 and I cannot believe he continues to play for our program. Something is terribly wrong with Kirk's thought process.
Solid point on Petras strength and quickness. Every year Stanley got bigger and stronger. I will bever forget a Buckeye wrapped around his legs and firing a TD strike to Hockenson.

Petras has not gained much muscle mass in five years. Work ethic? Maybe he needed more time lifting in Iowa City instead of working out with a QB coach.

Solid point on Petras strength and quickness. Every year Stanley got bigger and stronger. I will bever forget a Buckeye wrapped around his legs and firing a TD strike to Hockenson.

Petras has not gained much muscle mass in five years. Work ethic? Maybe he needed more time lifting in Iowa City instead of working out with a QB coach.
Yes. and Yes.

Petras was under duress all day. The number of QB sacks and pressures was significant. Our OL just isn't physical.
As a few others have noted, this is all true, BUT a QB with the foot quickness necessary to play D1 football should be able to avoid most of those sacks and pressures. We see them do it for most other teams every Saturday.

I do feel sorry for Spencer. All indications are that he's a serious, hard-working, good young man. He just isn't a D1 QB, and it's sadistic for KF to have recruited him and then to keep sending him out there when his skills simply don't justify it.

Petras could have been a star at the FCS level, and that's where he should have played. Everyone would have been a lot happier if he had.

KF has one more chance to do the right thing by having the talk with Spencer. Thank him for his service, and tell him they're going to give BOTH Padilla and Labas all the snaps the rest of the way. Spencer can breathe easy, don his red cap, and handle the headset.

While we know that won't happen, barring injury, it would be the humane thing to do.

Any time you have the most immobile qb in football its going to make the line look even worse than they are. Yes they are BAD, but some of the pressure on Petras is his own fault. At least twice yesterday Illinois timed his snap count and practically took the ball from him. That's on Petras to change up the count, audible out of the play, etc. He cannot side step and rush, or step up in the pocket to buy some time. He drops back, stands there, and takes forever to make a decision. Combine this with the fact teams know he will never beat them throwing the ball, and they just pin their ears back and unload on him.

I bet you're one of those dudes that pay women to kick you in the nuts.

Last edited:
Yes, it was painful but I was looking for any glimmer of hope for the rest of the season.

Did get a few rushing first downs in the 4th quarter. Johnson and L. Williams were running hard, G. Williams dances too much and had a huge drop in the first half. That play was open for big yards.

WR made a few catches yesterday, nothing deep unfortunately, LaPorta did though.
Agree with the G Williams play should have went for big yards. I counted 3 or 4 other drops where receiver's had the ball in their hands. Your previous post on starting inside the 5 3 times is so true and very limiting in what you can do on offense as any turnover is a score for the opponents 90+ percent of the time.

As a few others have noted, this is all true, BUT a QB with the foot quickness necessary to play D1 football should be able to avoid most of those sacks and pressures. We see them do it for most other teams every Saturday.

I do feel sorry for Spencer. All indications are that he's a serious, hard-working, good young man. He just isn't a D1 QB, and it's sadistic for KF to have recruited him and then to keep sending him out there when his skills simply don't justify it.

Petras could have been a star at the FCS level, and that's where he should have played. Everyone would have been a lot happier if he had.

KF has one more chance to do the right thing by having the talk with Spencer. Thank him for his service, and tell him they're going to give BOTH Padilla and Labas all the snaps the rest of the way. Spencer can breathe easy, don his red cap, and handle the headset.

While we know that won't happen, barring injury, it would be the humane thing to do.
There is a near zero percent chance that Ferentz gives Labas snaps for the first time in his career on the road against Ohio State, let alone start him.

G Williams just looks lost out there now. Several bone-headed moves, including fielding a kickoff inside the 25 and sliding instead of either calling for a fair catch (and getting the ball at the 25 yard line) or running it out (he had open field in front of him). He just looks confused half the time - has he had a concussion this year?

waay TLDR, but holy shit on re-watching that or any game this year. Hope you enjoyed a bloody Mary or something strong during that punishment!

Reactions: MitchLL
your chances of scoring starting inside the 5 yard line when your 1st two plays are QB sneaks and you 3rd play is a false start: almost zero.

your chances of scoring starting inside the 5 yard line when your 1st two plays are QB sneaks and you 3rd play is a false start: almost zero.
I liked the QB sneak. We were tied then and our O line has a tendency to give up negative plays. A safety could have won the game for them. I believe we started inside the two a couple of times.

Reactions: unclesammy

Petras also had a number of drops. But he is the biggest problem with the offense. He has no mobility. No pocket presense,can't avoid the rush,hangs on the ball too long,can't find open WRs, always looks for his TE and stares him down. Its so easy for teams to load up the box and shut down the run. Forcing Petras to beat them. A mobile QB would help the line immensly. I would play both Padilla and Labass to see what they could do. But that is way too outside the box for BF and KF.

Petras also had a number of drops. But he is the biggest problem with the offense. He has no mobility. No pocket presense,can't avoid the rush,hangs on the ball too long,can't find open WRs, always looks for his TE and stares him down. Its so easy for teams to load up the box and shut down the run. Forcing Petras to beat them. A mobile QB would help the line immensly. I would play both Padilla and Labass to see what they could do. But that is way too outside the box for BF and KF.

I agree with everything here except the last part. At this point, I want to see Petras take every snap. I want to see how bad it can get.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
I couldn't wait to erase this s*** show of a game once it ended. I had already wasted 3 hours of my life to watch once.

I rewatched the game I have people that depend on me to give them a point spread. I don’t think I can give an accurate point spread vs Ohio state after rewatching that game.
The Oline is so bad that on a lot of plays it looks like they have quit blocking for Petras. In order to force Kirk to bring another quarterback in. I know this can’t be true. But this Oline is beyond bad.

Petras took a beating yesterday. Kirk needs to get this line fixed before Petras who is to slow to dodge the rush gets seriously hurt. Or bring in a more nimble quarterback before Petras gets seriously hurt.

Or maybe they need to roll Petras out even more than they do so he is not a stationary target back there. Also change in our snap countdown needs to happen. Illinois seemed to be able to time our snaps to many times.

I would prefer a different quarterback. But with Brian laughing on the sidelines with under two minutes to go. I guess our coaching staff is enjoying what they are seeing on the field.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
Pertas is the biggest problem? I would say not. Pro Football Focus reviews every play and for the QB accounts for timing, difficulty of the throw, and decision making with respect to progression on the play. For the Rutgers game Petras had a 88.5 while no wide receiver was above 60 and all O lineman were below 70. For the Michigan game Petras was 90.1 while Ragaini was at 66.7 and all other WRs with more than 2 snaps were in the 50s. The O line had pass blocking grades of 13.7, 29.3, 34.8, 47.6 these grades totaled 115 snaps.

I understand for Illinois Petras was at 61.5 PPF grade which is not great at all, but was the third best score on the offense with the rest being in the 50s. He was first or second best the prior two weeks and way ahead of the rest of the offense. Why can't we run the ball? We rushed for 62 yards against Illinois and 66 against Michigan excluding the sacks. Good luck winning with those numbers.

Do you really think it makes sense to send Labas out to be a tackling dummy? Will he get through his progressions as fast as Petras, very doubtful. Will he make the right reads? Can he call audibles both run and pass?

Reactions: bobchawk
Pertas is the biggest problem? I would say not. Pro Football Focus reviews every play and for the QB accounts for timing, difficulty of the throw, and decision making with respect to progression on the play. For the Rutgers game Petras had a 88.5 while no wide receiver was above 60 and all O lineman were below 70. For the Michigan game Petras was 90.1 while Ragaini was at 66.7 and all other WRs with more than 2 snaps were in the 50s. The O line had pass blocking grades of 13.7, 29.3, 34.8, 47.6 these grades totaled 115 snaps.

I understand for Illinois Petras was at 61.5 PPF grade which is not great at all, but was the third best score on the offense with the rest being in the 50s. He was first or second best the prior two weeks and way ahead of the rest of the offense. Why can't we run the ball? We rushed for 62 yards against Illinois and 66 against Michigan excluding the sacks. Good luck winning with those numbers.

Do you really think it makes sense to send Labas out to be a tackling dummy? Will he get through his progressions as fast as Petras, very doubtful. Will he make the right reads? Can he call audibles both run and pass?
Why are we still asking our QBs to make audibles. Most teams I see get their calls from the sidelines. Make things as simple as possible for them. I want a QB who can extend plays with his legs and pick up yards for a 1st down if needed. Padilla was just as effective as Petras when given a chance. Give us a mobile QB and maybe he doesn't make the line look as bad. It all starts with the QB and **** your grades because they don't tell the whole story. Our QB makes everyone around him worse.

Why are we still asking our QBs to make audibles. Most teams I see get their calls from the sidelines. Make things as simple as possible for them. I want a QB who can extend plays with his legs and pick up yards for a 1st down if needed. Padilla was just as effective as Petras when given a chance. Give us a mobile QB and maybe he doesn't make the line look as bad. It all starts with the QB and **** your grades because they don't tell the whole story. Our QB makes everyone around him worse.
Of course you do not like PPF who have extensive knowledge of football as that is their job. Padilla was not as effective as Petras so let us look at facts.

2021 final stats
SP quarterback rating 117.8 AP 99.1
SP completion percentage 56.6 AP 49.1
SP yards per attempt 6.5 AP 5.7

The Nebraska game last year Padilla sacked twice for minus 10 yards in the first half. Pertas not sacked in the second half and was superior in all the above categories. In the first half we score 6 points with AP, in the second half with SP we score 22.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT