ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from MSU from inside CHA

Vallholl

HR Legend
Feb 2, 2013
Vall Jr. and I met up with our season ticket seating partners (best friend from HS and his wife) for dinner @ ReUnion. The plan was to leave their car in the parking lot and then use the one parking pass so that they could get close for a short walk. The wife sits down and says, "I'll skip dinner and eat a hot dog from the arena but we're not going to be late and miss Spencer Lee". Which is why Mrs. V. doesn't go to wrestling meets with me.

Vall Jr. has been looking for a replacement for his belvoed Sammy Brooks and his "anytime is a good time to go upper body" style and I've been suggesting that, while not exactly the same, that Spencer will be his new favorite. Nothing that happened last night would prevent Spencer from filling that void.

Referee was fast on the SW but lightning quick on the slap of the mat. It reminded Vall Jr. and I of when we umpire a baseball game and the score is 10-0 after the first inning and you know that losing coach just wants the game to end.

Attendance 8,400? Maybe a little high but I'd bet that if I were to look up MSU's entire home attendance last year it might be half of that.

Dual was done at 8:23. If it weren't for the 10 min. intermission, I could have been home for the 9:00 movie. The intermission didn't have "knockball" competition. What's up with that?

After the dual was over, I saw a middle school kid walk out the door with an ice cream cone. I bet basketball fans don't do that.

Chuck Yagla was recognized. Nice.

OP mentioned and it shouldn't be overlooked that MSU apparently has a curfew on the road and appeared to be late for dinner.

125 Walk up music: "We will rock you". After the atomic fireman's and subsequent fall, Rayvon Foley, sat on the mat "dazed and confused" as he was suffering from "Earth-sickness" as a result of separation from the gravity and subsequent reentry into the atmosphere. I know I get in trouble when I give out nicknames but I'm dropping "Train" off the end b/c there's isn't enough time to say "Freight Train" and not miss something.

133 Not 100% Glenn was thinking pinfall*, rather just another tilt when Santos wiggled his way onto his back. Happy for Paul but it looked weird. Comment: "Did that guy just pin himself ?"

141 Hung out too long against a good wrestler.

Vall Jr. "When is the pin streak going to end?"

Vall Sr. "174"

149 Sorenson is a great Iowa Wrestler. When I read people on this board complain, I want to donate to WWDM's artic plunge and have him fireman's carry these jokers into the water with him.

157 Tucker should have never taken KemDog down. Never. It's tantamount to messin' with sasquatch.

165 Thought the Bull was going to keep the pinfall streak alive at the end. Not many matches end 24-5

174 Joey Guns has got to get better fitting head gear. Looked like the guy wanted to go upper body.

184 Based on nothing but my own opinion, Bowman looks like he could make 174 if he needed to this year. Not sure what he has weighed in at recently. He's fun to watch. Happy for him.

197 $$ is quick. He last TD was way to fast for most 197 lbers. Once he got the TD to secure the match, the MSU guy lost all interest in wrestling and the fall was quick to follow. I thought I saw the MSU guy look at his watch.

285 I can think of about 100 other places that the MSU Hwt wanted to be than on a mat at CHA against Sam Stoll. 1) Root canal. 2) IRS auditor's office. 3) Dr. Office preparing for the "over 50 medical exam"

As I have mentioned before "HawkCrazy" or "HawkeyeCrazy" or someone like that sits right behind us. He's a great guy and narrates the meet is hilarious fashion. He was filled with mirth at Strollin' Sammy's takedown.

<almost in a cackle> "He took him down with an arm bar. And ARM BAR! Oh my god, this guy is pathetic. An ARM BAR. Finish this putz, Sammy. "

* Pin is good.
Fall is good.
Pinfall is good X 2

Last edited:
Outstanding work, Vall! PAIDEIA paid off on that one! The Luther History and English departments would be very proud.

I think you can guess my favorite excerpt:

“I want to donate to WWDM's artic plunge. . .”

And yes, you DO want to donate to WWDM’s arctic plunge. So does everyone else on his board, I’m pretty sure.:cool:

Reactions: Vallholl and Dagboi
The intermission didn't have "knockball" competition. What's up with that?

I was a little bummed there was no knockball, but can I just say that I love the “Look up” cam before the meets start. My kids were getting into it, it was hilarious. I thought that old couple reading their books had a real shot at breaking the record last night. Good stuff.

Outstanding work, Vall! PAIDEIA paid off on that one! The Luther History and English departments would be very proud.

I think you can guess my favorite excerpt:

“I want to donate to WWDM's artic plunge. . .”

And yes, you DO want to donate to WWDM’s arctic plunge. So does everyone else on his board, I’m pretty sure.:cool:
What's the high donation so far ?

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
$350. A co-worker who's an ISU fan is actually trying to scrape together $351 to make me wear an ISU singlet. Don't worry -- I have a contingency plan in place in the event such a horrific travesty comes to pass.
Is that part of a "How long does it take an Iowa State grad to collect $351 worth of cans?" joke?

FWIW--You can also substitute "Wartburg" for "Iowa State".

Yeah, but Gobblin and is kin are always a step ahead of the general population. I'm talking about your average youth wrestlers -- not Gobblin's kin.;)

Ha! He mimickes the way Spencer politely takes off his ankle band and gently places it on the mat also... His eyes were bugged out last night. Watching him watch Spencer last night was priceless... He was so stoked when we told him Spencer was gonna wrestle first. He's 6.

Ha! He mimickes the way Spencer politely takes off his ankle band and gently places it on the mat also... His eyes were bugged out last night. Watching him watch Spencer last night was priceless... He was so stoked when we told him Spencer was gonna wrestle first. He's 6.
I had a 7- and 11-yr-old who were beside themselves when Lee wrestled, too. This kid’s good for the sport.

Sounds to me like someone needs to have some face-to-face time with Spencer Lee. I have a strong sense that this is in his near future. Good stuff!

Reactions: Gobblin and Dagboi
Vall Jr. and I met up with our season ticket seating partners (best friend from HS and his wife) for dinner @ ReUnion. The plan was to leave their car in the parking lot and then use the one parking pass so that they could get close for a short walk. The wife sits down and says, "I'll skip dinner and eat a hot dog from the arena but we're not going to be late and miss Spencer Lee". Which is why Mrs. V. doesn't go to wrestling meets with me.

Vall Jr. has been looking for a replacement for his belvoed Sammy Brooks and his "anytime is a good time to go upper body" style and I've been suggesting that, while not exactly the same, that Spencer will be his new favorite. Nothing that happened last night would prevent Spencer from filling that void.

Referee was fast on the SW but lightning quick on the slap of the mat. It reminded Vall Jr. and I of when we umpire a baseball game and the score is 10-0 after the first inning and you know that losing coach just wants the game to end.

Attendance 8,400? Maybe a little high but I'd bet that if I were to look up MSU's entire home attendance last year it might be half of that.

Dual was done at 8:23. If it weren't for the 10 min. intermission, I could have been home for the 9:00 movie. The intermission didn't have "knockball" competition. What's up with that?

After the dual was over, I saw a middle school kid walk out the door with an ice cream cone. I bet basketball fans don't do that.

Chuck Yagla was recognized. Nice.

OP mentioned and it shouldn't be overlooked that MSU apparently has a curfew on the road and appeared to be late for dinner.

125 Walk up music: "We will rock you". After the atomic fireman's and subsequent fall, Rayvon Foley, sat on the mat "dazed and confused" as he was suffering from "Earth-sickness" as a result of separation from the gravity and subsequent reentry into the atmosphere. I know I get in trouble when I give out nicknames but I'm dropping "Train" off the end b/c there's isn't enough time to say "Freight Train" and not miss something.

133 Not 100% Glenn was thinking pinfall*, rather just another tilt when Santos wiggled his way onto his back. Happy for Paul but it looked weird. Comment: "Did that guy just pin himself ?"

141 Hung out too long against a good wrestler.

Vall Jr. "When is the pin streak going to end?"

Vall Sr. "174"

149 Sorenson is a great Iowa Wrestler. When I read people on this board complain, I want to donate to WWDM's artic plunge and have him fireman's carry these jokers into the water with him.

157 Tucker should have never taken KemDog down. Never. It's tantamount to messin' with sasquatch.

165 Thought the Bull was going to keep the pinfall streak alive at the end. Not many matches end 24-5

174 Joey Guns has got to get better fitting head gear. Looked like the guy wanted to go upper body.

184 Based on nothing but my own opinion, Bowman looks like he could make 174 if he needed to this year. Not sure what he has weighed in at recently. He's fun to watch. Happy for him.

197 $$ is quick. He last TD was way to fast for most 197 lbers. Once he got the TD to secure the match, the MSU guy lost all interest in wrestling and the fall was quick to follow. I thought I saw the MSU guy look at his watch.

285 I can think of about 100 other places that the MSU Hwt wanted to be than on a mat at CHA against Sam Stoll. 1) Root canal. 2) IRS auditor's office. 3) Dr. Office preparing for the "over 50 medical exam"

As I have mentioned before "HawkCrazy" or "HawkeyeCrazy" or someone like that sits right behind us. He's a great guy and narrates the meet is hilarious fashion. He was filled with mirth at Strollin' Sammy's takedown.

<almost in a cackle> "He took him down with an arm bar. And ARM BAR! Oh my god, this guy is pathetic. An ARM BAR. Finish this putz, Sammy. "

* Pin is good.
Fall is good.
Pinfall is good X 2

Nice observations; thanks!

I guess the kid with the ice cream doesn't have to make weight this weekend!

I was a little bummed there was no knockball, but can I just say that I love the “Look up” cam before the meets start. My kids were getting into it, it was hilarious. I thought that old couple reading their books had a real shot at breaking the record last night. Good stuff.
Unfortunately there was a guy across the aisle that tipped them off.

$350. A co-worker who's an ISU fan is actually trying to scrape together $351 to make me wear an ISU singlet. Don't worry -- I have a contingency plan in place in the event such a horrific travesty comes to pass.
Would it be so bad an Iowa State fan donated the highest amount? A nice jester into helping us get better while they have such difficulties.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT