ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on a new coach

This is the answer….keep it simple.

He’s won 71% of his games at Drake, he’s young, there are family connections to UI…this isn’t hard.
Maybe he'd be basketball's equivalent of Rick Heller.

You could certainly argue Heller is Iowa's best overall coach at the moment when you factor in how hard it is to compete in that sport, how far behind Iowa's facilities are (though that appears to be changing), how mediocre Iowa baseball was for several decades before he arrived, and how hard you have to work to sell Iowa baseball to potential recruits.

Yet he came in and turned Iowa into a consistent winner, despite the hurdles and shortcomings the program faces. Kinda sorta sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Any thoughts? I would not mind having Mark Few (Gonzaga). Now this guy can bring in the players. Only problem is keeping them. NIL and the transfer portal is screwing things up. The NCAA is powerless anymore.
You mean in 2030? Who knows? When will Fran's youngest graduate?

Any thoughts? I would not mind having Mark Few (Gonzaga). Now this guy can bring in the players. Only problem is keeping them. NIL and the transfer portal is screwing things up. The NCAA is powerless anymore.
Mark Few. Hmm. You sure Phil Jackson from the 90s, Pap, Izzo, Coach K, Shaka Smart or Jesus aren't available? ;)
Jesus. 🤔

Hmmmmm, you might be on to something .....

;)

You could certainly argue Heller is Iowa's best overall coach at the moment when you factor in how hard it is to compete in that sport, how far behind Iowa's facilities are (though that appears to be changing), how mediocre Iowa baseball was for several decades before he arrived, and how hard you have to work to sell Iowa baseball to potential recruits.

Yet he came in and turned Iowa into a consistent winner, despite the hurdles and shortcomings the program faces. Kinda sorta sounds familiar, doesn't it?
I would have questioned devries if McDermott hadn’t turned things around at creighton after his time at isu.

No more mid-major coaches!! We need an assistant from a team that has sat down and sold 4* players consistently on joining their program. WE DON"T NEED mid-majors that never landed a 4* or 5* player. PERIOD!!!

To think Gary Barta almost screwed up Heller's hiring twice.

1. Devries-coached and learned under Altman and has had good success at Drake. Matt G could stay on board with him.
2. Dean Oliver has learned under a very good staff for several years and could be a good hire
3. Horner has been a head coach at a smaller level and had some success

These are just off the top of my head. There are plenty of good, hungry coaching candidates that could do well with an opportunity. Basketball programs can turn really good fast, if a coach uses the portal and recruits well. My primary concern is our AD not embracing NIL, that could hamstring Fran or whoever the future coach may be. I would love a new, more progressive AD 1st.

Reactions: Hawkdome
A lot of the great coaches got their shot when they were young. In my opinion, people are way too afraid to make basketball coaching changes. Fran did a serviceable job for over a decade, made several million, but new life in the program would be great. Basketball coaches should be like school superintendents, work 10 years or so in the same district(making plenty), then time to move somewhere else. Unless the coach ends up being great, then you keep the coach long term.

Last edited:
1. Devries-coached and learned under Altman and has had good success at Drake. Matt G could stay on board with him.
2. Dean Oliver has learned under a very good staff for several years and could be a good hire

These are just off the top of my head. There are plenty of good, hungry coaching candidates that could do well with an opportunity. Basketball programs can turn really good fast, if a coach uses the portal and recruits well. My primary concern is our AD not embracing NIL, that could hamstring Fran or whoever the future coach may be. I would love a new, more progressive AD 1st.
All three seem like good choices, but the question is if any of them can recruit. Dean Oliver would probably be the best of the three options with his experience recruiting for Wisconsin.

Reactions: Bearhawk0505
No more mid-major coaches!! We need an assistant from a team that has sat down and sold 4* players consistently on joining their program. WE DON"T NEED mid-majors that never landed a 4* or 5* player. PERIOD!!!
I’d prefer both. The resume I would be looking for is someone who has experience coaching and recruiting at the highest level (probably as an assistant), AND has experience running his own program.

Not that I expect us to be hiring a new coach anytime soon.

I really like Fran, But, our NCAATourney numbers are pathEric. Should tell everyone we’re a very mediocre program (very exciting at times).
If forced to, I’d vote for change but leaving it in Frans hands isn’t all that bad!

I really like Fran, But, our NCAATourney numbers are pathEric. Should tell everyone we’re a very mediocre program (very exciting at times).
If forced to, I’d vote for change but leaving it in Frans hands isn’t all that bad!
Excited Eric Cartman GIF by South Park

Lol this board is hilarious sometimes. Someone actually suggests we go after Mark Few, a guy we could never land, and someone else is outraged by the thought of Few coaching Iowa.

I am assuming Fran isn't going anywhere, Won the BIG tournament and most games ever as a hawkeye coach and has 2 -4* players coming in.
And has over 500 wins now as a DI HC without ever sniffing even one Sweet 16.

Scratch #2 and #3 from your list. Not a chance.

There was a power 5 head coach in attendance during the Eastern Illinois debacle that happens to be an Iowa native and a Johnson County native. Saw him talking to Speraw. This was a night after defeating Duke.

There was a power 5 head coach in attendance during the Eastern Illinois debacle that happens to be an Iowa native and a Johnson County native. Saw him talking to Speraw. This was a night after defeating Duke.
And that coach would love to be Iowa's HC one day but don't think that's going to happen

I like Fran a lot, but I’m also willing to admit that we’ve seen his ceiling. 3rd place in the conference and an OT loss trying to make a sweet sixteen.

His inability to close the deal on high-end recruits from other parts of the country and lack of desire to coach defense for 40 minutes will always limit him. His refusal to adapt to the portal will be his downfall here as other teams in the conference will adapt and start passing him.

Next coach needs to be someone that can mix recruiting with working the portal. In the new world you can’t be afraid of upsetting a player by recruiting over them if they aren’t cutting it and you can’t be afraid of that upset player transferring because of it. If you don’t have the Jimmies and Joes in college basketball at the P5 level, nothing else really matters.

And has over 500 wins now as a DI HC without ever sniffing even one Sweet 16.
How close do you need to be to sniff a S16? He's been to the 2nd round 7 times.

As I have said before, my opinion of Fran wouldn't be any different if he taken the Hawks to the S16 a couple of times. He is a "good" coach that has done a "good" job at Iowa and his results line up pretty well with the last 30 years of Iowa basketball, including Tom Davis after Raveling's recruits left.

I'm ready to see if Iowa can find a "great" coach, but I'm not holding my breath.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT