ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Fant/Fidone Workout(s)

TJFant

HR All-State
Oct 1, 2019
I was just wondering what others think about the Fidone and Fant workout thing. Positive for the Hawks? Negative? Indifference? My guess is probably not very positive based upon his brother's posted rants about Noah being underutilized and the fact of Noah skipping the bowl game and it sounded like he couldn't get out of Dodge fast enough. It always sounded like that Noah had more of a problem with how Mike Riley handled his recruitment and not necessarily negative feelings towards the University as a whole. Just my take.

I was just wondering what others think about the Fidone and Fant workout thing. Positive for the Hawks? Negative? Indifference? My guess is probably not very positive based upon his brother's posted rants about Noah being underutilized and the fact of Noah skipping the bowl game and it sounded like he couldn't get out of Dodge fast enough. It always sounded like that Noah had more of a problem with how Mike Riley handled his recruitment and not necessarily negative feelings towards the University as a whole. Just my take.

I highly doubt Fant is pushing him toward Nebraska.

I also have no reason to believe Fant didn't enjoy his time at Iowa. His goal from Day 1 was to make it to the NFL. I see no reason to connect his skipping the bowl game with vitriol toward the Iowa staff. It was simply a means to an end. Nothing more, nothing less.

Oh, and for a great read, check out any of the in-game threads. @IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life has declared Iowa the loser with 13:42 left to go in the 1st Quarter and at least ten more posters have demonstrated the need to be on suicide watch by that climactic point of the game.

In short, I don't put much stock in big brother articulating his frustration on social media that Noah ain't seeing the field and the ball enough. When the dust has settled, everyone is still a Hawkeye.

Last, and this is just my gut, I think the Fidone situation could be similar to a certain basketball prospect in the state who last fall (albeit foolishly) picked Iowa State. The allure of being a standout and having a well-beaten path to the next level generally wins out over the appeal of going with your childhood team. If Fidone's love for Nowledge U was that great, he likely would have committed last year.

We'll see. Just saying...

I think the fact that Hockenson got drafted in the top 10 helped explain why he sometimes got more playing time than Fant and then when Fant still got drafted first round I would imagine that didn’t leave him with much to be upset about. And as mentioned above, Fant seems pretty complimentary of Iowa on social media and I haven’t seen any sour grapes at all from him since leaving. I also remember how happy Fant was when he was scoring touchdowns against some of the other schools now recruiting Fidone so it’s hard for me to picture him now doing anything to encourage a kid to pick one of those schools over Iowa.

One thing he should consider is coaching stability. Iowa very seldom turns over coaches. If Nebby struggles early, they are looking at another losing season and there will be an extremely hot seat in Lincoln. I have no idea of how many assistants he's already tossed under the bus but he's got to be feeling the heat before long.

I saw him at a bar in Okoboji last summer, so after he skipped the bowl game. Didn't seem like there was any love lost between him and Iowa. I didn't personally have a conversation with him, but he was having a great time with Iowa fans it seemed. Yeah a few dbag fans probably give him a hard time on social media, but I'm sure in real life it's all good with Iowa.

Reactions: dbrocket and cecilB
I would like to think this kid will make the right call and pick the hawks, however, looking at his shirt I have to question his decision making....
Actually, I thought it was pretty smart of him to wear a "neutral" shirt like Minnesota. The way everything gets dissected on sites like this (I'm guilty as well), it would have been seen by some as a significant sign of who he was choosing. Glad he got the chance to workout with great Hawkeye.

Reactions: TJFant
I saw him at a bar in Okoboji last summer, so after he skipped the bowl game. Didn't seem like there was any love lost between him and Iowa. I didn't personally have a conversation with him, but he was having a great time with Iowa fans it seemed. Yeah a few dbag fans probably give him a hard time on social media, but I'm sure in real life it's all good with Iowa.
So was he on good terms with Iowa or not?

I think the fact that Hockenson got drafted in the top 10 helped explain why he sometimes got more playing time than Fant and then when Fant still got drafted first round I would imagine that didn’t leave him with much to be upset about. And as mentioned above, Fant seems pretty complimentary of Iowa on social media and I haven’t seen any sour grapes at all from him since leaving. I also remember how happy Fant was when he was scoring touchdowns against some of the other schools now recruiting Fidone so it’s hard for me to picture him now doing anything to encourage a kid to pick one of those schools over Iowa.

I think all of us have left prior settings - college, jobs, towns - moved on to a new environment and gained needed perspective on the good we had before.

Based on how widespread the respect throughout the NFL is for Iowa's program, I'm guessing Noah has observed guys from other schools trying to adjust to the NFL and gained appreciation for the program.

How many coaches plaster their name on shirts??
Dude should seriously just where a shirt that says "LOOK AT ME!!!"

I hope Fidone realizes that when Fleck wakes up every morning, before he shits, before he showers, before his feet hit the floor. The single most important thing on his mind is ‘what am I gonna wear and how cool will I look’. Then after that, the rest of his day is about him.

How many coaches plaster their name on shirts??
Dude should seriously just where a shirt that says "LOOK AT ME!!!"
LOL on the shirt........I would think, and this is only the opinion of an aging diabetic man that even if Fant were unhappy that he was under used at Iowa, and if it were for a reason such as lack of blocking or such, that the Coaching staff at Denver would have told him where he was lacking. Now, if his lacking was the same as what the Iowa coaches were letting him sit for, then maybe a light went off in his head and he realized that it wasn't Iowa, it was him. SO, if that were the case I am sure that he would be speaking highly of Iowa, if not, then possible not. Either way, Iowa made him a first round draft pick and he owes much of that to Iowa.

Last edited:
This will end up being just like the twitter posts. He posted a hawkeye graphic but did the same for nebraska. Now he’s working out with one of Iowa’s first round draft tight ends but next week he’ll be working out with one of Nebraska’s.

Wait....
I was going to say...most of NE's 1st round draft pics are retired...for several years...

Anyone think they just happened to bump into each other? Or perhaps it was arranged? Which would sorta answer the questions whether Fant is a Hawkeye fan or just a former Hawkeye.

ADVERTISEMENT