ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Game

Fieldhouseman

HR All-State
Oct 14, 2018
First of all it's the first game of the year... so as expected a little out of sync and mistakes are common but...

1) We do not have a defensive stopper...the guards for UMKC were able to penetrate and move at will.
2) We did not show we can protect the 3 ball... lots of open shots outside the arch.
3) We looked stagnant offensively no movement lots of standing around .
4) Although we have the size our big men play too soft constantly putting the ball on the floor , not posting up strong, not going strong to the basket and not being aggressive rebounders.

So in summary: we look like the same team from last year with the same weaknesses.

The positive .....

Joe Wiescamp has a nice stroke and plays within himself and can only get better.

That's it... didn't see many positives tonight but it's early yet.

First of all it's the first game of the year... so as expected a little out of sync and mistakes are common but...

1) We do not have a defensive stopper...the guards for UMKC were able to penetrate and move at will.
2) We did not show we can protect the 3 ball... lots of open shots outside the arch.
4) Although we have the size our big men play too soft constantly putting the ball on the floor , not posting up strong, not going strong to the basket and not being aggressive rebounders.

So in summary: we look like the same team from last year with the same weaknesses.

The positive .....

Joe Wiescamp has a nice stroke and plays within himself and can only get better.

Second positive: the officials were clearly on our side tonight. The negative of that positive: that will NOT be something we can count on going forward.

Balanced Hawkeye Offense:

Wieskamp.......15 points
Bohannon....... 12 points
Cook................12 points
Dailey...............11 points

4 guys in double figures means we share the ball

Reactions: perryhawk

The positive .....

Iowa will be lucky to finish as the 10th best Big Ten team.......

Another boring year of college basketball where I shouldn't bother watching the team I root for suffer and struggle through the season with no real interesting progress in sight.

And sorry but I don't get my basketball fix marveling at other programs because they have good players. That's what makes it boring to me. I don't give a f*** about Duke and Kentucky pulling in NBA talent every year and the same 10 teams being in the race for the NCAA tournament title. The upsets are the only redeeming quality and even then its really just to open the door for some other elite team or program with the hot-handed players who are bound for the NBA.

Boring as f***.

And yes, college football is basically there now with Alabama too.

At least wrestling is showing some promise, so we got that going for us, which is nice.............

Iowa will be lucky to finish as the 10th best Big Ten team.......

Another boring year of college basketball where I shouldn't bother watching the team I root for suffer and struggle through the season with no real interesting progress in sight.

And sorry but I don't get my basketball fix marveling at other programs because they have good players. That's what makes it boring to me. I don't give a f*** about Duke and Kentucky pulling in NBA talent every year and the same 10 teams being in the race for the NCAA tournament title. The upsets are the only redeeming quality and even then its really just to open the door for some other elite team or program with the hot-handed players who are bound for the NBA.

Boring as f***.

And yes, college football is basically there now with Alabama too.

At least wrestling is showing some promise, so we got that going for us, which is nice.............

The one thing I continually want to head butt a knife over is when their guards drive and we’re in good defensive position we always leave the open 3 shooter to help on the guy driving.. make them toss up a crap two point shot fading away over leaving the wide open 3 point shooter. For the love of everything!!!

I didn’t see the game, but looking at the box score, Garza and Kriener combined for 10 FG attempts and 5 of them were 3’s. That is a problem. Cook only taking 7 shots is a problem. Moss scoring 3 points is a problem. Bohannon won’t go 1/5 from three very often.

Hopefully this was just a bad game and they’ll improve.

I didn’t see the game, but looking at the box score, Garza and Kriener combined for 10 FG attempts and 5 of them were 3’s. That is a problem. Cook only taking 7 shots is a problem. Moss scoring 3 points is a problem. Bohannon won’t go 1/5 from three very often.

Hopefully this was just a bad game and they’ll improve.

I watched and Jabo was just off and made a few unforced turnovers

Moss as expected was a no show

Dailey played well and Joe W was great

The one thing I continually want to head butt a knife over is when their guards drive and we’re in good defensive position we always leave the open 3 shooter to help on the guy driving.. make them toss up a crap two point shot fading away over leaving the wide open 3 point shooter. For the love of everything!!!

Disappointing. Not making excuses, but I won't get too upset yet since Garza is probably not in game shape yet and probably doesn't want to bang his belly quite yet and little bo is not in 'game shape' at this time and Joey dubya hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game yet.
I think we've all had enough of Moss by now. Daily needs to be on the floor with Bo and Joey. We won ugly, but we won.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Disappointing. Not making excuses, but I won't get too upset yet since Garza is probably not in game shape yet and probably doesn't want to bang his belly quite yet and little bo is not in 'game shape' at this time and Joey dubya hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game yet.
I think we've all had enough of Moss by now. Daily needs to be on the floor with Bo and Joey. We won ugly, but we won.
They played freeking UMKC, not Duke.

I feel like Fran doesn't know how to coach a zone D. It's like we overplay the ball side - we want to play a trapping, pressure zone that brings us out and allows for reversals, dribble-drives and even pick n rolls. That really shouldn't be happening with a zone.

Can we bring Lickliter back as our defensive coordinator?

I feel like Fran doesn't know how to coach a zone D. It's like we overplay the ball side - we want to play a trapping, pressure zone that brings us out and allows for reversals, dribble-drives and even pick n rolls. That really shouldn't be happening with a zone.

Can we bring Lickliter back as our defensive coordinator?

Really? Thanks for clearing that up for me as I was so confused. Not sure what your point is buddy?

There isn’t one. Apparently Iowa is the only team that isn’t allowed to struggle. It’s too bad that I can’t point to another 20+ point favorite tonight, SMU, that didn’t have the best of games.

Honestly, we won't know about this team until after Sunday (UWGB). I'm giving them a 1st game pass - like they wanted to show the world how much better they were that they forgot to play fundamental ball. TC and Garza taking those 3s in the 1st quarter of the game against a 4 guard lineup is not the game plan.

I felt Connor was the man in the 2nd half - really calmed the team down and got the ball where it needed to go. Its like for the 1st time I saw a calm group of players out there playing as a team and not trying to put together a highlight reel.

Reactions: hagarwood
Honestly, we won't know about this team until after Sunday (UWGB). I'm giving them a 1st game pass - like they wanted to show the world how much better they were that they forgot to play fundamental ball. TC and Garza taking those 3s in the 1st quarter of the game against a 4 guard lineup is not the game plan.

I felt Connor was the man in the 2nd half - really calmed the team down and got the ball where it needed to go. Its like for the 1st time I saw a calm group of players out there playing as a team and not trying to put together a highlight reel.
Conner reaminds me of Kevin Boyle with better offense

I thinks our starters had most of those tos
Yes I think you're right. Keep in mind that this is Jordans 1st real action of the year and Garza is not far removed from major surgery. Moss was missing in action.

The Hawkeyes made 28 out of 38 free throws to
their opponents 8 out of 12 free throws. Iowa won
this game at the charity stripe.

We will know A LOT more about our team after our trip to New York. If we get obliterated twice, then there is real cause for concern. If we look decent and split, there is hope. If we win 2 then we can start to get optimistic.

You won't make excuses then you make excuses. Joe just a frosh, Garza still hurt, blah, blah ,blah. Iowa played a glorified high school team and struggled, dude. It's going to be a brutal season.
I'm not a 'dude'. What, are you 12? The Joey comment was actually tongue in cheek that a few posters will 'get,' and why would anyone need to make 'excuses' for a game we won? If you don't think Garza and little Bo can play better when totally healthy, well good for you. Pointing out there health issues is hardly making an excuse for them. Sorry you're not going to enjoy the season. I am. I'm a supporter, not a self absorbed fanatic. Relax son, we won.

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT