ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on My First Trip to Iowa (Orange City)

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
It was VERY short (24 hours in IA and overnight in Omaha) due to work schedule and ridiculous air fare if extending a day.

1. Flew in/out of Omaha. Didn't really look at the map beforehand and was surprised how quickly we were in IA after leaving the airport.
2. There is a whole lot of rural between Omaha and Orange City, which is also rural. Even driving through Sioux City I kept wondering where the city was. Don't get me wrong, as a visitor from a congested/chaotic city, rural isn't a bad thing in small doses.
3. Trains here are VERY long. Not sure how OP moms can take it in this part of the country.
4. Stopped for gas station Burger King lunch in Sioux City and it smelled like cattle. Orange City also smelled like cattle, near the Hampton Inn anyway. Trad, the Hampton Inn folks say hello. Does the entire state smell like cattle?
5. What is the crop that is between 1-2 feet tall, very leafy and seemed to be turning yellow? Also, lots of brown corn, did it get the dead?
6. Orange City was interesting. Cute little town that tries to be Dutch. Definitely very christian but its not like it jumps out at you or anything. Lots of restaurants for a town it's size. We ate at the Hatchery (good) for breakfast, Szechuan Inn (very good) Chinese for lunch and Nederlander's Grill (meh, ribs were very dry) for dinner.
7. Drove around town with the Mustang GT convertible top down. First time ever in a convertible for the mother-in-law. We didn't reserve a convertible but the 3 choices we had were (Mustang GT Conv, Dodge Charge or Dodge Challenger). The mustang actually had some power. Not sure Orange City has ever seen a convertible.
8. Because we had to out of curiosity, we fired up the Grindr app and yes, there are gays in OC... Young and old... albeit very closeted. There also seemed to be a handful or so of older lesbian women walking around. They had the haircuts anyway.
9. It was windy as hell in OC and when we stopped in Sioux City. 91 first day, 67 the second.
10. Nothing too exciting on the ride back other than being 1 car away from getting a speeding ticket. Car in front of us got pulled over. I figured they'd go for our convertible. Hinton must be a speed trap.
11. Stayed overnight in Omaha for our flight the next day. The Magnolia Hotel on edge of Old Market area. Newly renovated corner room was large and very nice.
12. At ate Cascio's which was exactly what we wanted. Very good steak and shrimp fettuccine. Old Fashions were good as well. Didn't do anything exciting that night other than get ripped at the Hilton Hotel bar. Got engaged in conversation with the promotor for Post Malone who was playing there the next night. We almost extended one night to take advantage of the free tickets offered but it was too much of a hassle and it wasn't worth an extra $1,200 to see Post... Yes, poors, I know. I'll try to post some pics.
13. Which one of you drives the yellow VW bug?

P.S. I think the pictures are too big, will have to come back to those
P.S.S. I didn't eat at Pizza Ranch or Casey's. PR is based in OC apparently.

How does an Iowa town get called, "Orange City"?

I'm pretty sure no one ever grew any oranges there.

Re: 5

The short crop there’s a sh!t ton of is soybeans

Corn turns brown this time of year. It gets harvested in October after everything looks dry and crunchy.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
5. What is the crop that is between 1-2 feet tall, very leafy and seemed to be turning yellow? Also, lots of brown corn, did it get the dead?
Those would be soybeans. No, the corn is drying out and getting ready to harvest in a few weeks, moisture content will be too high for a while. Some corn may be getting cut for silage at ground level. The growing season is over. When those same winds blow in January ( and they do ) it will feel like -30...

E336-DC93-A48-A-480-F-83-D9-C8-A868211956.jpg

It was VERY short (24 hours in IA and overnight in Omaha) due to work schedule and ridiculous air fare if extending a day.

1. Flew in/out of Omaha. Didn't really look at the map beforehand and was surprised how quickly we were in IA after leaving the airport.
2. There is a whole lot of rural between Omaha and Orange City, which is also rural. Even driving through Sioux City I kept wondering where the city was. Don't get me wrong, as a visitor from a congested/chaotic city, rural isn't a bad thing in small doses.
3. Trains here are VERY long. Not sure how OP moms can take it in this part of the country.
4. Stopped for gas station Burger King lunch in Sioux City and it smelled like cattle. Orange City also smelled like cattle, near the Hampton Inn anyway. Trad, the Hampton Inn folks say hello. Does the entire state smell like cattle?
6. Orange City was interesting. Cute little town that tries to be Dutch. Definitely very christian but its not like it jumps out at you or anything. Lots of restaurants for a town it's size. We ate at the Hatchery (good) for breakfast, Szechuan Inn (very good) Chinese for lunch and Nederlander's Grill (meh, ribs were very dry) for dinner.
7. Drove around town with the Mustang GT convertible top down. First time ever in a convertible for the mother-in-law. We didn't reserve a convertible but the 3 choices we had were (Mustang GT Conv, Dodge Charge or Dodge Challenger). The mustang actually had some power. Not sure Orange City has ever seen a convertible.
8. Because we had to out of curiosity, we fired up the Grindr app and yes, there are gays in OC... Young and old... albeit very closeted. There also seemed to be a handful or so of older lesbian women walking around. They had the haircuts anyway.
9. It was windy as hell in OC and when we stopped in Sioux City. 91 first day, 67 the second.
10. Nothing too exciting on the ride back other than being 1 car away from getting a speeding ticket. Car in front of us got pulled over. I figured they'd go for our convertible. Hinton must be a speed trap.
11. Stayed overnight in Omaha for our flight the next day. The Magnolia Hotel on edge of Old Market area. Newly renovated corner room was large and very nice.
12. At ate Cascio's which was exactly what we wanted. Very good steak and shrimp fettuccine. Old Fashions were good as well. Didn't do anything exciting that night other than get ripped at the Hilton Hotel bar. Got engaged in conversation with the promotor for Post Malone who was playing there the next night. We almost extended one night to take advantage of the free tickets offered but it was too much of a hassle and it wasn't worth an extra $1,200 to see Post... Yes, poors, I know. I'll try to post some pics.
13. Which one of you drives the yellow VW bug?

P.S. I think the pictures are too big, will have to come back to those
P.S.S. I didn't eat at Pizza Ranch or Casey's. PR is based in OC apparently.

That's just the standard middle-aged Midwestern lady cut. Our Governor and one of our Senators had it at one time.

You get bonus points if it's two-toned and spikey.

Think Protestants vs. Catholics, Trad.....and Orange City doesn’t have very many Catholics!
Remember “William of Orange” from your Western Civ college course?

Business school graduate. I took as few humanities courses as possible.

I lived in Iowa for 12 years and don't think I have ever been to Orange City.
I can thank ragbrai for the honor. If memory serves it‘s like any other small town in Iowa. One street in town with all the major commerce. Townie bar/restaurant, Townie bar/restaurant, and the standard divey townie bar. Probably a gas station or two.

T

Typical “business school” graduate...well versed in some shit that means nothing...but no balance to life. Business affects a few of us....liberal arts and history have shaped each and every one of us.

I went to school to learn how to make money. Not to learn about William the Orange. That's not going to help me make money.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
ADVERTISEMENT