ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on My First Trip to Iowa (Orange City)

Trick question, they both suck
If Pella “sucks” tge state of Iowa should be taking notes on how to suck.
Pella has a lot if small town Iowa issues (neighbors telling neighbors how so and so needs to be living their life) but economically abs financially the town is quite a success. A wee bit cliquish, probably but it’s a small town malady not a community uniqueness. Tons of foreigners have invaded the Dutch Vilkage thanks to Pella Corp, Vermeer and Central College.

We learned about William of Orange on our river cruise. We saw where he was buried in Delft.
I've been to Delft 3 times and never saw that. but we pretty much do a couple hour trip from Amsterdam and wanter the square, have lunch and climb the church tower. love that little town. Could probably live there with close access to Amsterdam.

Reactions: 3boysmom
T

Typical “business school” graduate...well versed in some shit that means nothing...but no balance to life. Business affects a few of us....liberal arts and history have shaped each and every one of us.
Did you type that on your laptop or iPhone?

Sadly, western Iowa is pretty much MAGA country. As someone who grew up in southwest Iowa I find it very disappointing and depressing.

Hey man, I am still out here fighting the good fight. Just kidding, when people ask me about politics in person I typically tell them it is poison and they should avoid it at all costs as it won't add any value to their lives or the lives of those around them. Then I tell them to turn off the news and go add value to the people they know and the community they live in.

It is in Hinton. I grew up in Sioux City and have driven past that intersection many, many times.

You missed an opportunity to have the best cuisine sioux City has to offer- a Charlie Boy at Miles Inn
And a scooner of course!

Reactions: JWolf74
8800-FCF7-E1-A8-4508-9-BF1-795227464864.jpg
that is definately hinton and yes it is a speed trap as is merril 9/10 miles east of hinton. always make sure I'm driving speed limit when passing through.

Reactions: jasonrann
Pella has a lot if small town Iowa issues (neighbors telling neighbors how so and so needs to be living their life) but economically abs financially the town is quite a success. A wee bit cliquish, probably but it’s a small town malady not a community uniqueness. Tons of foreigners have invaded the Dutch Vilkage thanks to Pella Corp, Vermeer and Central College.
Similar to Decorah, I would guess.

Both those are good models for sustainable small-towns that maintain their charm but continue to have positive economic development.

Reactions: unIowa
Here is a very good article about Pella as a model for modern economic development in rural/small town America:

(This is a free link, since I'm a subscriber)

Reactions: cigaretteman
I'd say more of a Buick than a Yugo. The OC is much nicer than a Yugo.
For a time, Buick was the only American car company making quality vehicles. Not that I wanted any of them, but they were somewhat reliable.

that is definately hinton and yes it is a speed trap as is merril 9/10 miles east of hinton. always make sure I'm driving speed limit when passing through.
Merrill had a cop that got busted for ripping up speeding tickets in exchange for blowies from his coed violators a few years back. Good times.

Here is a very good article about Pella as a model for modern economic development in rural/small town America:

(This is a free link, since I'm a subscriber)

This was the WAJ article, right? The “founding family” (Pella Corp)is abstentia now but still quite active in the area…there is a very strong Vermeer family presence there….. It is in their best interest To keep things moving along there…big obstacle is convincing folks young folks to move to a smaller communities…Pella is working gard yo keep itself relevant.

Reactions: torbee
What school? Ive never seen a college that didnt require Western Civ or something similar.
I always felt that business schools at larger universities poorly prepared their graduates for life after school...and after work. Another 16-30 hours of "liberal arts" studies would make for better people in the world. Not that business is not important......it just is not "all" important. The arts...a little deeper exposure to American/European histories and languages, some exposure to world cultures and religions are damned important for folks trying to make a go in the business world.....especially in today's "global" economy.

Reactions: torbee
I always felt that business schools at larger universities poorly prepared their graduates for life after school...and after work. Another 16-30 hours of "liberal arts" studies would make for better people in the world. Not that business is not important......it just is not "all" important. The arts...a little deeper exposure to American/European histories and languages, some exposure to world cultures and religions are damned important for folks trying to make a go in the business world.....especially in today's "global" economy.

Hey, I took World Religions. That's exposure to world cultures.

Anyway, now days kids have to do a foreign language requirement. Glad I didn't need that when I was in college because I sucked at Spanish in high school.

There also seemed to be a handful or so of older lesbian women walking around. They had the haircuts anyway.
No, that's just how many middle aged Iowa women cut their hair. No idea why.

During my senior year in college I had to take a course on "Cross-Cultural Human Relations" as part of the requirement to graduate with a business degree.

Hopefully you did an in depth study on the Reformed Church...and spent a great amount of time studying John Calvin?

Not really deep into Christian denominations. It was an overview of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Taoism, etc.

I double majored in Business and World History. I took away waaaaaay more from my history classes. Those classes made me learn to read through tough material and analyze the authors motives. They made me curious about the world and excited about learning. Business courses outside of the finance/accounting were a complete joke.

I double majored in Business and World History. I took away waaaaaay more from my history classes. Those classes made me learn to read through tough material and analyze the authors motives. They made me curious about the world and excited about learning. Business courses outside of the finance/accounting were a complete joke.

Makes me think you can't think about business strategy unless you're just looking at raw numbers.

That's not what business is all about.

You didn't get it.

Makes me think you can't think about business strategy unless you're just looking at raw numbers.

That's not what business is all about.

You didn't get it.
In my post, where do you get the impression that I dont get business strategy?

I dont think Business Management/leadership classes are worth a shit, and frankly, if you cant read the numbers you will end up paying people who can for advice on how to run your business.

If you disagree with that, then please @The Tradition, tell me what business is all about since you are claiming to know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT