ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on My First Trip to Iowa (Orange City)

In my post, where do you get the impression that I dont get business strategy?

I dont think Business Management/leadership classes are worth a shit, and frankly, if you cant read the numbers you will end up paying people who can for advice on how to run your business.

If you disagree with that, then please @The Tradition, tell me what business is all about since you are claiming to know.

Oh, lord... the numbers are important, but if you don't do all the other stuff right, you'll just be watching your numbers go negative.

Hahaha. Elaborate. Tell me about "all the other stuff" that must be learned in the classroom.

Marketing
Labor Relations
Logistics
Corporate Governance
Labor Laws and Regulations

I mean... you claim to have majored in business... you had to write a business plan in one of your classes, right?

Ensuring that the projected revenues would exceed expenses is a big part of demonstrating that you'll have a going concern, but it's the HOW you are going to generate those revenues and minimize expenses that's the hard part.

Marketing
Labor Relations
Corporate Governance
Labor Laws and Regulations

I mean... you claim to have majored in business... you had to write a business plan in one of your classes, right?

Ensuring that the projected revenues would exceed expenses is a big part of demonstrating that you'll have a going concern, but it's the HOW you are going to generate those revenues and minimize expenses that's the hard part.
Marketing class was a joke. Corporate governance, I mean I suppose, but I learned more about that reading a book about Disney than I did in college. Ill give you business law.

And the business plan, well, yeah you need to be able to project the numbers... the business idea is irrelevant. You dont learn how to come up with a winning business idea in a undergrad course.

I just really found business courses in my undergrad to be a waste of time and super easy.... outside of accounting, finance, and also business law now that you reminded me of it.

Marketing class was a joke. Corporate governance, I mean I suppose, but I learned more about that reading a book about Disney than I did in college. Ill give you business law.

And the business plan, well, yeah you need to be able to project the numbers... the business idea is irrelevant. You dont learn how to come up with a winning business idea in a undergrad course.

I just really found business courses in my undergrad to be a waste of time and super easy.... outside of accounting, finance, and also business law now that you reminded me of it.

Well then they had all the stuff about business calculus. You probably liked that, too?

Well then they had all the stuff about business calculus. You probably liked that, too?
Dont remember that in my undergrad. Maybe I forgot it. In my masters there was a lot of what I think you're talking about for Managerial Accounting, but to be honest, I had a hard time seeing how practical some of it was and forgot it right after I took the class. Maybe Im too dumb for that.

It was VERY short (24 hours in IA and overnight in Omaha) due to work schedule and ridiculous air fare if extending a day.

1. Got engaged with the promotor for Post Malone who was playing there the next night.

Sounds like Iowa

Dont remember that in my undergrad. Maybe I forgot it. In my masters there was a lot of what I think you're talking about for Managerial Accounting, but to be honest, I had a hard time seeing how practical some of it was and forgot it right after I took the class. Maybe Im too dumb for that.

There are all sorts of business calculus problems! You're optimizing production based on the various constraints.

I take it you use those calculations on the reg?

Good God, NO! There's a reason I went into Human Resources. Hard to measure.

If I talk someone down off the ledge and she DOESN'T sue us, that's potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars saved that don't show up on a financial statement anywhere.

No way to measure that impact.

Good God, NO! There's a reason I went into Human Resources. Hard to measure.

If I talk someone down off the ledge and she DOESN'T sue us, that's potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars saved that don't show up on a financial statement anywhere.

No way to measure that impact.
But do you think you need a business management/leadership class to tell you that? I just find it hard to see the value in some of those classes. They seem so general they are useless. Like ya, there are some bits and pieces, but as a whole they seem kind of silly. Maybe I was too much of a slapdick at that age. Idk.

But do you think you need a business management/leadership class to tell you that? I just find it hard to see the value in some of those classes. They seem so general they are useless. Like ya, there are some bits and pieces, but as a whole they seem kind of silly. Maybe I was too much of a slapdick at that age. Idk.

I think the concept you're trying to describe is quantitative vs. qualitative.

You prefer subjects that require you to demonstrate a quantitative answer.

I did better in the qualitative world.

I was using a bulky, ready to crash and burn I-Pad for this one, unIowa. Sorry. If it bothers you....may I suggest you "ignore" me........Sorry for your inconvenience. I will try to do better.

It isn't an inconvience for me. However people seem to ignore how systems and process are super important in technology transfer and commercial scalability. Having people that are educated to set up and continously improve said processes and make commercialization more efficient are doing society a great favor.

Yeah, I figured it was not representative of first world Iowa.

Not going to lie, no idea where Orange City is. Lived here my whole life. Even my understanding of places west of Des Moines is sketchy at best. Eastern Iowa is certainly different. Nothing wrong with it, just different.

Reactions: NoleATL
It isn't an inconvience for me. However people seem to ignore how systems and process are super important in technology transfer and commercial scalability. Having people that are educated to set up and continously improve said processes and make commercialization more efficient are doing society a great favor.
So a bulky computer....fat fingers and bad keyboard skills are not an adequate excuse any more?

Oh, lord... the numbers are important, but if you don't do all the other stuff right, you'll just be watching your numbers go negative.
I know several entrepeneurs who never attended college....one never graduated from HS, but I promise you they understand "the numbers" and how business is done. I know some guys with accounting degrees that hat failed in their business attempts......Most small town business is about knowing people mire than numbers. Is there a more wasted advanced degree than an MBA?

I know several entrepeneurs who never attended college....one never graduated from HS, but I promise you they understand "the numbers" and how business is done. I know some guys with accounting degrees that hat failed in their business attempts......Most small town business is about knowing people mire than numbers. Is there a more wasted advanced degree than an MBA?

Womens studies maybe???

Unless it is womens anatomy, that can pay off big time.

I think the concept you're trying to describe is quantitative vs. qualitative.

You prefer subjects that require you to demonstrate a quantitative answer.

I did better in the qualitative world.
I would argue that the qualitative world is harder to learn... almost has to happen in the real world, on the job or after you have developed some experience.

Hey, watch it buddy! Haha imo the MBA is a waste IF you pay for it. My employer pays for it though. There is no reason for me not to get it.

Reactions: joelbc1
Well at least we have pics:

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F5f66863607c3642800d1a63d%2F0x0.jpg
Not!

Wow, this thread really took a hard left turn. The only logical next step is to transition to a teacher thread. I mean, they get the whole damn Summer off, right??

ADVERTISEMENT