ADVERTISEMENT

Threatened by Libertarians, Iowa GOP moves goal posts

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Running scared from a tall guy with a tricorn hat, Iowa Republicans are moving to limit competition on the ballot.

The controversial election reform bill that was rushed through the Iowa Legislature last week will, if signed into law by Gov. Kim Reynolds, make it harder for citizens to vote but also harder for alternative candidates to get on the ballot. The legislation drastically increases the number of signatures required for third-party and no-party candidates.

Republicans who crafted the measure probably have one Iowa man in mind: Bryan Jack Holder, four-time candidate for U.S. House in Iowa’s 3rd Congressional District.

Holder is a Libertarian from Pottawattamie County in western Iowa, a repeat candidate known for wearing an American Revolution-era hat and a star-spangled necktie. His 15,000 votes in 2020 were more than twice the difference between the Republican and Democratic candidates, earning Holder “spoiler” status. Democratic incumbent Cindy Axne won reelection against former U.S. Rep. David Young.

“The right to petition the government for a redress of grievances by running for public office, as all of you have done, is the foundation stone of our constitutional and democratic republic,” Holder said during an Iowa House hearing.

In Republicans’ imagination, they’re losing close races because Libertarian candidates are siphoning away what would otherwise be GOP votes. Some say Holder cost them the 3rd District election.

Instead of making an effort to win over voters, Republicans want to erect barriers to keep third-party candidates off the ballot.

Senate File 413 more than doubles the number of signatures required for alternative candidates to get on their candidacy petitions — from 1,500 up to 3,500 for presidential, gubernatorial and Senate candidates; more than 1,700 signatures for U.S. House candidates, up from 375.

The legislation also significantly increases the number of counties required to be represented among petition signers. Top-of-the-ballot candidates will be required to have at least 100 signatures from at least 19 counties, while U.S. House candidates will need at least 47 signatures from half the counties in the district.

The new county requirements may be unconstitutional under a 1969 U.S. Supreme Court decision, according to Ballot Access News. In Moore v. Ogilvie, the high court ruled that Illinois’ signatures-per-county requirement was “a rigid, arbitrary formula” that “discriminates against the residents of the populous counties in the exercise of their political rights.”

It’s not the first time in recent history that Republicans who control Iowa State government have stifled ballot access for third-party candidates. In 2019, the Legislature approved and Reynolds signed a law to move the third-party candidates’ petition deadline up from August to March.

Iowa’s 2019 law, dubbed the “incumbent protection act” by critics, is the subject of an ongoing federal lawsuit brought by Libertarian Party of Iowa members.

Under the legislation approved last week in the Iowa Legislature, third-party and no-party candidates will have the same condensed timeline for gathering petition signatures, but with much higher thresholds. The obvious intention is to protect vulnerable Republicans from competition.

The new election bill also tinkers with petition requirements for candidates for office in cities that have primaries or runoffs. The mark increases from 25 signatures to 100 in big cities.

Iowa has a long tradition of inclusive elections. For at least the last 10 general elections, there have not been fewer than eight presidential candidates on Iowa ballots. Back in 1992, there were a whopping 14 candidates on the ballot.

But Iowa Republicans don’t trust voters to make the right choice. They are concocting a system to filter out would-be candidates who might pose a threat to their electoral success. It’s a paranoid and insecure look for a political party whose power is only growing in Iowa.

Former President Donald Trump is openly toying with the idea of creating a new political party, which would take on both Democrats and Republicans who are insufficiently loyal to Trump.

During an interview on Iowa Public Radio, Iowa GOP Chairman Jeff Kaufmann was asked about the prospect of a Trump third party. Kaufmann dismissed the notion.

“That’s not going to happen. … You want Republicans and Democrats to hold hands and sing ‘We Are the World,’ try introducing a third party and making that third party immediately relevant,” Kaufmann said.

The message to third parties is clear: You can’t win because we won’t let you.

Any libertarians, greens, or other third party types on here?
I’m somewhere on the GOP / Libertarian spectrum. I’ve voted Libertarian in elections and also voted GOP. There is definitely overlap on many of the issues but also significant differences. But many times, you have to choose lesser of 2 “evils” so although I don’t fully support a GOP candidate, they may be closer to my views than a Dem candidate and I know the Libertarian candidate doesn’t stand a chance. Even so, I still often, not always, vote for the 3rd party because it doesn’t matter. I live in a one party (Dem) state.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I've voted Libertarian and donated to Libertarian politicians before. I'm a moderate with a slight lean to the right politically, so I don't fit nicely into one party. But if I was forced to pick, it would probably be Libertarian. Once upon a time I voted for Republican candidates about 75% of the time, but I doubt I'll ever be able to vote Republican again. That party has become an embarrassment. So at this point, its between the Democrat or a third-party candidate, which for me would typically be the Libertarian.

Beyond my extreme dislike of Donald Trump, this article is another great example of why I can no longer stand the Republican Party. They are anti-democracy. Instead of trying to win elections by convincing voters in the marketplace of ideas, they pull tricks like this. At the end of the day, I believe in democracy above all else. I would rather be on the losing side in a fair, democratic election, than have my candidates win elections which aren't true to the principles of a democratic republic.

Last edited:
I've voted Libertarian and donated to Libertarian politicians before. I'm a moderate with a slight lean to the right politically, so I don't fit nicely into one party. But if I was forced to pick, it would probably be Libertarian. Once upon a time I voted for Republican candidates about 75% of the time, but I doubt I'll ever be able to vote Republican again. That party has become an embarrassment. So at this point, its between the Democrat or a third-party candidate, which for me would typically be the Libertarian.

Beyond my extreme dislike of Donald Trump, this article another great example of why I can no longer stand the Republican Party. They are anti-democracy. Instead of trying to win elections by convincing voters in the marketplace of ideas, they pull tricks like this.

That nearly exactly describes me.

I was never a Libertarian party member as the party itself typically goes too far in its legalization of all drug use, all gun possession and limitations on state funded education, police, environmental protections and the military, but for the most part I’m a big fan of no government intrusion on your personal life (so no penalties like blocking adoptions or hospital visits for being gay but if a “Christian” baker wants to show his @&$ by refusing to bake cakes for a gay couple the only penalty should be bad Yelp reviews and that normal people shun the business but no government intervention.) and only small federal government focused on providing public goods that are necessary for infrastructure but where the free hand doesn’t necessarily work properly (education, roads, policing, environmental protection, and limited military focused on defense not hegemony).

So as a result the only Libertarian candidates I voted for President was Bob Barr and Michael Bedmarick. Typically I voted Republican, probably 75% of the time with about 10-15% each going to Democrats and a combo of Libertarians/Independents.

However that changed with the rise of the Magats to prominence. Not just the election of BabyHands Drumpf, it started before that when John McCain (who was a great person and a candidate who probably shared the most similarlity of political thought with me, at least in the Republican Party) was forced against his will to add nitwit Sarah Palin to court the deplorable racist white supremacists and Evangelical “Christians” who don’t actually worship Jesus Christ but are an Abrahamic Old Testament cult devoted to enforcing old codes of conduct and devoted to hate of their neighbors and even family members and not love.

With the rise of the disgusting sections of the Republican Party to prominence, the less old moderate white collar business types like myself felt willing to support that party. I don’t believe in hating someone because they have a different type of consensual sex than I do, nor pray differently whether to the same God or even a different god than I do, etc... But that’s not what the Magats believe in. They believe in shunning if not outright murdering people who are different than themselves. And I can no longer associate with those idiots even if it helps my business tax bills.

That nearly exactly describes me.

I was never a Libertarian party member as the party itself typically goes too far in its legalization of all drug use, all gun possession and limitations on state funded education, police, environmental protections and the military, but for the most part I’m a big fan of no government intrusion on your personal life (so no penalties like blocking adoptions or hospital visits for being gay but if a “Christian” baker wants to show his @&$ by refusing to bake cakes for a gay couple the only penalty should be bad Yelp reviews and that normal people shun the business but no government intervention.) and only small federal government focused on providing public goods that are necessary for infrastructure but where the free hand doesn’t necessarily work properly (education, roads, policing, environmental protection, and limited military focused on defense not hegemony).

So as a result the only Libertarian candidates I voted for President was Bob Barr and Michael Bedmarick. Typically I voted Republican, probably 75% of the time with about 10-15% each going to Democrats and a combo of Libertarians/Independents.

However that changed with the rise of the Magats to prominence. Not just the election of BabyHands Drumpf, it started before that when John McCain (who was a great person and a candidate who probably shared the most similarlity of political thought with me, at least in the Republican Party) was forced against his will to add nitwit Sarah Palin to court the deplorable racist white supremacists and Evangelical “Christians” who don’t actually worship Jesus Christ but are an Abrahamic Old Testament cult devoted to enforcing old codes of conduct and devoted to hate of their neighbors and even family members and not love.

With the rise of the disgusting sections of the Republican Party to prominence, the less old moderate white collar business types like myself felt willing to support that party. I don’t believe in hating someone because they have a different type of consensual sex than I do, nor pray differently whether to the same God or even a different god than I do, etc... But that’s not what the Magats believe in. They believe in shunning if not outright murdering people who are different than themselves. And I can no longer associate with those idiots even if it helps my business tax bills.

You contradict yourself nicely. You're a Libertarian wannabe, except they go too far on 6 big issues. You really have this major need to be well liked. That's kind of amazing for someone who knows everyone who's anyone.

Last edited:
Back to the OP, it should always be relatively easy to qualify for elected office, either through signatures, or through a relatively nominal fee.

Back to the OP, it should always be relatively easy to qualify for elected office, either through signatures, or through a relatively nominal fee.
What’s the value to the electorate in constricting options and making access to being on the ballot fee based?

What’s the value to the electorate in constricting options and making access to being on the ballot fee based?

For some candidates it's easier to pay a fee than to collect signatures. In Florida, the qualifying fee for local offices is a percentage of annual salary.

ADVERTISEMENT