ADVERTISEMENT

Three 6'9 shooters - wow

Hawks2405

HR MVP
Oct 13, 2006
Hawkeye Land
I was listening to a podcast where Kenyon Murray said Payton Sandfort is still growing and is now 6'9. We will have Kris, Patrick and Payton that are all 6'9 and can shoot the ball. This team could have some juice! He mentioned that Kris is a better passer and rebounder than Keegan. He also said that Riley is improving and will provide depth in the post.

Last edited:
I was listening to a podcast where Kenyon Murray said Payton Sandfort is still growing and is now 6'9. We will have Kris, Patrick and Payton that are all 6'9 and can shoot the ball. This team could have some juice! He mentioned that Kris is a better passer and rebounder than Keegan. He also said that Riley is improving and will provide depth in the post.

I listened to same podcast but I didn't get 6'9" from it. But that he'd grown an inch. Now is that from the 6'7" he was listed at last year.... OR was Payton 6'8" last year? There was some talk of that last fall as well???

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I listened to same podcast but I didn't get 6'9" from it. But that he'd grown an inch. Now is that from the 6'7" he was listed at last year.... OR was Payton 6'8" last year? There was some talk of that last fall as well???
I think 6'8". Payton was listed at 6'7" previously.

Still 6'7" per Hawkeyesports, but either way it's never bad to have forwards that are good 3 point shooters, especially when little brother is a great prospect as well.

6'8. LOL. But still...

I just watched the BT Title game and Sandfort was clutch.
Yeah, he showed a lot of poise for a freshman. I was really impressed with his rebounding and defense. He may have been the best rebounder on the team at the end of the season, per minute. I see some Jess Settles in his skill set, though not quite as athletic (pre back injury) & a better ball handler. Can't wait to see him, PMac and Murray playing together and stretching the defense. Really getting excited about next year.

The thing on his HS film that made him unique or special was his release. There are a lot of good HS shooters but not many of them are 6'7" with a lightning quick release like that. It allows him to get his shots whenever he wants and when defenders take that extra step into him to deny the shot he can drive past them and get his mid-range shot. So he's not like Oglesby or some others who were restricted to outside, open shots but he can get shots off late in the shot clock with tight defenders, hit mid-range over defenders, and even has some post pivot moves and fade aways when needed in close.

He's a pure scorer and has that mentality too. If Kris was our offensive killer off the bench last year, it will be Sandfort this year and he should average 12 or more in 20-24 minutes, especially since that 2nd rotation will need a primary scorer whenever Kris sits out. I don't see much if any gap between Patrick and Sandfort, although their games are different. Sandfort may be the better defender and pure scorer, while Patrick is better in transition and a better passer.

Yeah, he showed a lot of poise for a freshman. I was really impressed with his rebounding and defense. He may have been the best rebounder on the team at the end of the season, per minute. I see some Jess Settles in his skill set, though not quite as athletic (pre back injury) & a better ball handler. Can't wait to see him, PMac and Murray playing together and stretching the defense. Really getting excited about next year.
It’s exciting but I’m very worried about the back court. I really hope Bowen is the real deal. Especially with joe t gone. I hope Perkins has and ulis have improved their shooting as well. Otherwise it’s going to be another early end to the season/tourney

If Payton really grows to 6'9 and keeps that sweet stroke----he gone!
This is a good call, but he has a chance regardless of his height. Most likely player beside Kris to have a team take a flyer on in the second round.

At his current height, he can still get his shot off at the next level because his trigger is so quick. He can get guys off balance easily who try to contest his shot because of his quick release.

Then, that’s where you saw him take a dribble or two into the mid range and show versatility. I remember there was one shot that made Grant Hill say “wow” in the title game. He didn’t expect a 10th man to take and hit a turnaround mid range shot.

Having a bunch of tall guys that can shoot is a great thing, but I can only hope that a couple of them can take it to the hoop and score consistently - and maybe get a few rebounds while they are at it.

We know Kris can.

PMac seems to be able to work his way inside and get off a shot, but it's usually some off-balance finger roll that goes in about 20% of the time.

I think Sandfort has potential as well.

The most amazing thing about Sandfort is how quickly he can release his shot. He doesn't need much of an opening to get a good look.

Having a bunch of tall guys that can shoot is a great thing, but I can only hope that a couple of them can take it to the hoop and score consistently - and maybe get a few rebounds while they are at it.

We know Kris can.

PMac seems to be able to work his way inside and get off a shot, but it's usually some off-balance finger roll that goes in about 20% of the time.

The most amazing thing about Sandfort is how quickly he can release his shot. He doesn't need much of an opening to get a good look.
Tony will drive to the basket we need our bigs outside ;)

KM has the green light, pmac needs to learn when to dish it and take less spaz looking shots though.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

We know Kris can.

I get what you are saying about PMAC. He put up alot of off balance stuff going to the rim that wasn't going in. He did get much better about that by the end of the year. He was more patient...willing to change speeds, gather himself, and get a decent shot off. I honestly think alot of that was he just couldn't handle the physical stuff going to the hole...and he was pushed away from the basket, hence the awkward shots at strange distances. I think an extra 10 pounds, maybe 15 could change all that.

It's the same thing Weiskamp and Keegan dealt with. It took Weiskamp a few years to get to the point where he could initiate the contact and get to the basket. That was the amazing thing about Keegan last year...he made a huge, huge leap in physicality. He was punishing people going to the hoop and was a force...all in 12 months of development. That was just an incredible transformation.

My point is that I think Patrick is going to be better getting to the rim this year. He knows what he needs to do to get to the next level in that regard. I'm looking forward to his progress.

While he is capable of knocking down a jumper I would be hard pressed to refer to Patrick as a "shooter"

Reactions: topherchris20
While he is capable of knocking down a jumper I would be hard pressed to refer to Patrick as a "shooter"
I agree, but he was serviceable at 33% from the 3 last year. He did struggle with shot selection but seemed to get better as the season went on. I hope we see a big improvement from him on both ends this year.

Im looking forward to seeing Payton get it dialed in next year.

Hes got a lot of skill for a guy his size to go with a high IQ, a high motor and zero conscience.

He flashed a couple post moves and turnarounds that hint there's more shot making to his game than we've seen.

I like the height we have… on the flip side… we need solid defense from everyone …
This.

Everyone coming back must improve, including and especially Kris because he will be the clear cut leader of the team. If the guards and centers/power forwards improve even marginally, Iowa is poised to have a great year.

The thing on his HS film that made him unique or special was his release. There are a lot of good HS shooters but not many of them are 6'7" with a lightning quick release like that. It allows him to get his shots whenever he wants and when defenders take that extra step into him to deny the shot he can drive past them and get his mid-range shot. So he's not like Oglesby or some others who were restricted to outside, open shots but he can get shots off late in the shot clock with tight defenders, hit mid-range over defenders, and even has some post pivot moves and fade aways when needed in close.

He's a pure scorer and has that mentality too. If Kris was our offensive killer off the bench last year, it will be Sandfort this year and he should average 12 or more in 20-24 minutes, especially since that 2nd rotation will need a primary scorer whenever Kris sits out. I don't see much if any gap between Patrick and Sandfort, although their games are different. Sandfort may be the better defender and pure scorer, while Patrick is better in transition and a better passer.

Quick and repeatable are far more important than "perfect" form or high release. I mean, Steph starts his shot below his chin and comes up in a quick fluid motion. The quick is what lets him get that shot off against taller, more athletic defenders.

Quick and repeatable are far more important than "perfect" form or high release. I mean, Steph starts his shot below his chin and comes up in a quick fluid motion. The quick is what lets him get that shot off against ANYONE.
FIFY🙂

Quick and repeatable are far more important than "perfect" form or high release. I mean, Steph starts his shot below his chin and comes up in a quick fluid motion. The quick is what lets him get that shot off against taller, more athletic defenders.
Totally agree that quick matters. You need to be either QUICK or HIGH release (or both) just to get shots off. You need to be repeatable in order to consistently make them, as you point out. I think Sandfort meets both those criteria (quick/high; repeatable) to be a great shooter, and not just from 23 feet but 15-17 feet also. He has an ability to shoot with guys in his face that is different than many others. Last year he seemed to hurry a few shots early in the shot clock that he missed in the 1st half of the season, but got a bit better later with experience.

I used to think your release had to be a bit more textbook to go in, but to your point there are thousands of examples of "poor" form by good shooters so it's more important to have a release that is consistent and has a good finish to it (wrist and follow through) than it is to have perfect arm motion necessarily (although it can make your shot take longer or finish lower in some cases, which isn't ideal).

Some coach said that all great shooters have a similar finish to their shot, but the beginning and middle can be quite different.

ADVERTISEMENT